Is this a legal build

robertep

Re: Is this a legal build

What I'm looking for is a way to make AoE attacks less likely to hit my Hex

No, there's no "by the book" way to improve the DCV of the Hex you're IN. This is actually the point of AOE attacks; there are a LOT of other ways to avoid the attack (Flying Dodge, basic defenses including Force Field, things that would block the attack itself like Force Wall) but there's no "by the book" way to improve the DCV of the Hex in which you're standing.

Your best options are to have abilities that get you out of that hex, Desolid, or to bork your opponent's OCV scores (which is what I posted initially).

What I'm looking for is a way to make AoE attacks less likely to hit my Hex

The more I think about it the more I think I would probably ok the DCV, UAA, AOE hex. At 12.5 AP per point of DCV it's a pretty high cost/low utility effect, overall pretty harmless.

No, there's no "by the book" way to improve the DCV of the Hex you're IN. This is actually the point of AOE attacks; there are a LOT of other ways to avoid the attack (Flying Dodge, basic defenses including Force Field, things that would block the attack itself like Force Wall) but there's no "by the book" way to improve the DCV of the Hex in which you're standing.

Your best options are to have abilities that get you out of that hex, Desolid, or to bork your opponent's OCV scores (which is what I posted initially).

That is what I tried to do with the Negative Combat Skill Levels but you said it was not the way to do it

my idea was that the trigger on it will activate anytime someone will target my hex and thus give him a penalty to his OCV only for using AoE powers

Negative Combat Skill Levels (-5 to opponent's DCV), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; Trigger is targeting my Hex; +1) (69 Active Points); Limited Power OCV penalty is only when using AoE powers (-1), Instant (-1/2)

but it seemes that for what ever reason it is not the right way (Why ???)

so what you would say about this power

Change Environment 1" radius, -6 OCV, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; Trigger is my Hex being Targeted; +1) (67 Active Points); Limited Power OCV Penalty only effect the use of AoE powers directed at my Hex (-1), Instant (-1/2).

Well, for the first one, anything is legal with GMO, however, in terms of the question "most valid" way to do a thing, Negative Skill Levels are not the way to go, as they are in fact limited to objects. As far as I know, you CAN do it that way, but I wouldn't call it the valid build, because Change Environment exists to do this, does that make sense? You can do it that way with GM approval, but I would never approve it, because that's what Change Environment is for.

Insofar as the Trigger, I wouldn't allow it because it's (pardon me for this one) cheesy as all get out. It's basically giving you a free abort in the event an AOE shows up, and in terms of SFX, or "knowing" you've been targeted... ugh. I just don't like it; I'm not saying you can't do it. It's trigger! You can make the Trigger whatever you want with GM approval. But I wouldn't approve of it. I would restrict it to being an Attack Action. I think you're also reaching with the "only AOE attack" limitation, because there's no way to really know (other than someone lobbing a grenade) that an attack is even going to BE AOE. It goes back to the whole common sense, dramatic sense sort of thing.

OK instead of me presenting builds and such let me clarify what I need

I have a character (lets call him WARP) that has the ability to bend space/time around himself and when he has this Warp Field active he has a bunch of powers (High DEX[which gives me high OCV and DCV], High SPD,a Force Field some Flash defenses and a whole MP of tricks what he is lacking and that a thing I find within the special effect of the space and time around me being warped is a defense that will make it harder to target my hex because my Warp Field will either redirect it somewhat and thus make it veer away from my hex or accelerate it and thus make it over shoot its target(it will still be able to hit my hex just harder and the hexes around me are not effected so they can be targeted normally) and thus unless its a AoE 1 hex it will still be able to effect me if the scatter will make it hit a nearby hex

I have a character (lets call him WARP) that has the ability to bend space/time around himself and when he has this Warp Field active he has a bunch of powers (High DEX[which gives me high OCV and DCV], High SPD,a Force Field some Flash defenses and a whole MP of tricks what he is lacking and that a thing I find within the special effect of the space and time around me being warped is a defense that will make it harder to target my hex because my Warp Field will either redirect it somewhat and thus make it veer away from my hex or accelerate it and thus make it over shoot its target(it will still be able to hit my hex just harder and the hexes around me are not effected so they can be targeted normally) and thus unless its a AoE 1 hex it will still be able to effect me if the scatter will make it hit a nearby hex

You seem to be mixing special effect descriptions with game mechanics.

I find that a better approach is to clearly define the special effect first and then tackle the game mechanics with several different builds and choose the best one that fits the budget and other abilities of the character.

In this case another option to consider is building the effect as a Self Only Force Wall and then buying Indirect at the +1/4 level for all of the character's offensive abilities. Definitely expensive and not an absolute effect like Missile Deflection or bonus DCV but it handles AOE attacks much more cleanly imho.

Yeah, sometimes I don't nessisarily recognise the need for a comlicated build...

+6 DCV, Charges, non persistant, Incant "Oh S***!" though that won't really help vs AE....

Desolid, Charges, Trigger, non persistant.."How'd he dodge THAT?!"...seem like how'd I aproach this if I even would.

To some extent getting caught out is IMO just part of life, so I think tactics are how to deal, instead of odd powers....YMMV....

Maybe we could look from a different direction. Since there is not way to really make a hex’s DCV higher follow this:

Phase one: I want to be harder to hit, the SFX I want is a swirling energy field, warp bubble or a herd of flying gerbils – doesn’t matter it’s a swirling mass of “something.” Is there a power that great for this?

Phase two: Is this power a one hex AoE or can I buy AoE for this power?

Phase three: Now that I and everything in my hex is harder to hit why isn’t the ground under me inside the hex of effect harder to hit?

If it does, I think we have a winner. Now Link the power so it is always on when your warp field is active and lower some of your other DVC bonuses to be under the GMs set limit for you character type.

Maybe we could look from a different direction. Since there is not way to really make a hex’s DCV higher follow this:

Phase one: I want to be harder to hit, the SFX I want is a swirling energy field, warp bubble or a herd of flying gerbils – doesn’t matter it’s a swirling mass of “something.” Is there a power that great for this?

Phase two: Is this power a one hex AoE or can I buy AoE for this power?

Phase three: Now that I and everything in my hex is harder to hit why isn’t the ground under me inside the hex of effect harder to hit?

If it does, I think we have a winner. Now Link the power so it is always on when your warp field is active and lower some of your other DVC bonuses to be under the GMs set limit for you character type.

You mean like maybe DCV levels, UAA, AOE (1hex)?

Or it's just my versionistis again. By the time the BBB hit, I'd played under all three previous editions, including the Champions II/III suplements, and the various other games, not to mention variants. Though most of the powers and rules are second nature to me, they're not always the most recent ones, and the I lose track of the more obscure stuff easily. FRED has only deepened the problem.

I know the feeling. I'm getting ready to start a Fantasy Hero campaign using 5th, and I haven't run a Hero game in literally years now, so I'm sure I'll bollix it up something fierce.

If I'm understatanding you right ...why not use Images centered on your self to "Blur" your location? That way they have to make a Per roll to guess the right hex....wouldn't that get your "effect"?

If I'm understatanding you right ...why not use Images centered on your self to "Blur" your location? That way they have to make a Per roll to guess the right hex....wouldn't that get your "effect"?

Not exactly; if someone makes the Perception roll, it means the hex is no harder to hit, which may not be quite the effect. It does have a net reduction in the overall chance of hitting, though, so barring being kind of pricey (you really need to make sure it covers all senses) it might do.

Is this build legal

I want it to give me the ability to Abort to a "Cat Dance" ("Cat Dance" is a +4 DCV Dodge with FMove I built using the UMA rules) Maneuver in phases I already acted on

(IE:I use a full phase to do whatever and then on the same phase I get targeted by an AoE 1 Hex attack and I want to move away so I won't be affected by it[basically a "Dive for cover" but using an improved Maneuver I built with the UMA])

Master Dodge: Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Full Phase to reset; When being attacked by an AoE attack and can't Abort normally; +1/4) for up to 50 Active Points of "Cat Dance" (12 Active Points); Requires A PER(to perceive the threat and decide to act on it) Roll And A DEX(to actually act on the threat fast anough) Roll (-1/2), Limited Power Must use next available Phase to "recharge" the Trigger (-1/4)

TIA

R.E.P.

A Power that is set up with a Trigger always "goes off" after the event/condition that triggers the Power -- even for "No Time" triggers. Otherwise it would be child's play to make a character all but invulnerable with something like Desolidification + Trigger (No Time to Activate, No Time to Reset, Whenever Attacked).