Need a reasonably well known charcter idea

Catseye

Okay,

I have to write up a stock character for a player who hasnt given me any input.

This is literally an ANY genre mixed-genre game. To give you an idea (and luckily m,y players don't read this, because they don't know each others characters yet) these are the characters I have in the game so far:

Agent Dana Scully (X-files)

Piper Halliwell (Charmed)

An original punisher type ("Dark Champions" genre)

Scooby Doo (one of my stocks for anyone else who shows up)

If it were any other player Id give him one of my fun stock characters, like Scooby Doo, but this guy is pretty limited in what he can identify with I think. (Young, geeky, over-serious.)

I know generally what Im looking for... scientific type, dour, very intelligent, very serious, preferably Asian, ideally Chinese.

Can anyone think of an Anime or movie character that would work? My one limit is that it can't be over angsty. WoD characters don't fit in this game, nor do Anne Rice Vampires, just tom give you the parameters.

Any suggestions?

Re: Need a reasonably well known charcter idea

I know generally what Im looking for... scientific type, dour, very intelligent, very serious, preferably Asian, ideally Chinese.

Can anyone think of an Anime or movie character that would work? My one limit is that it can't be over angsty. WoD characters don't fit in this game, nor do Anne Rice Vampires, just tom give you the parameters.

Any suggestions?

Not that it fits all your criteria but you might try:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsanime/outlawstar/osjim.html

-Carl-

Thanks Carl... I need to decide if my absolute HATRED of "boy geniuses" will be a problem with that one...

There is nothing more annoying and generally hated then the little kid who always knows the right answer. Wesley Crusher being one of the more recent examples.

I have a name for this phenomenon-- I call it "The Adrik Syndrome" after the oldest example I know of, the Adrik character during a period of the Tom Baker Dr. whos.

The only good thing about Adrik was, when the BBC finally figured out that everyone hated him, they didn't pull a whimpy "send Wesley off to the academy" thing. They slammed the spaceship he was in into prehistoric earth.

Yes, Adrik's final act was the extinction of the dinosaurs. (Well, near extinction. We know now that some are still with us.)

Guest Admiral C

Huh. Brainy but easily identifiable. How many points? If it's about a 150 or something near Heroic I'd recommend, even though I watched hundreds of animes my minds a blank right now, (Susano would know) but Sylvia Stingray from the old and new version of the Bubblegum Chris is very much a focused, calculating person with an array of scientific skills and the desire to use them to persue her own agenda. Just about everyone from Section 9 in Ghost in the Shell can fit this bill depending on how scientific/technically versed they need to be. Rally Cheyenne from Silent Mobius could fit the bill of minus magic powers and a expounded on her technical abilites.

I don't watch a whole lot of TV, never have, so I can't think of any main stream characters that fit the bill and are as well known as Piper and Scully. As for cinema I rember an old Wuxia film called the Heroic Trio that featured at least one character that was overly serious and paired with a scientist to steal his work, she was at least smart enough to understand what he was doing from the research level.

It's not what you want but I have a 150 Post Apoc gunslinger I built. Easy to play, easy to use. I'll email it to you if you want. The player I built it for never showed up.

I have a name for this phenomenon-- I call it "The Adrik Syndrome" after the oldest example I know of, the Adrik character during a period of the Tom Baker Dr. whos.

Great syndrome name !! :thumbup:

And I understand it perfectly...The thing that makes me laugh ? The fact

that, during the time when the Peter Davison Dr Who eps were being first

shown on PBS in my local area (Central IL at that time) one of my gaming

associates was himself a bit of an Adrik (about 50% of the group found

him so) and even he couldn't stand Adrik and wanted him dead ! :D

-Carl-

Sylvia Stingray from the old and new version of the Bubblegum Chris is very much a focused, calculating person with an array of scientific skills and the desire to use them to persue her own agenda.

Great character. Someone I'D play.... but I doubt this guy can handle playing a girl.

Just about everyone from Section 9 in Ghost in the Shell can fit this bill depending on how scientific/technically versed they need to be.

Oooh, didnt think of GITS. yeah a few of them mgithve worked.

In the end I ended up with 3 stiock characters...

Jin from Samurai Champloo

Jim Hawking from Outlaw Star ( I filled in the one on the web but it was a great start)

Scooby Doo

Thats enough choice for him.

It's not what you want but I have a 150 Post Apoc gunslinger I built. Easy to play, easy to use. I'll email it to you if you want. The player I built it for never showed up.

Sure, ill ptu it in stocks. Its the right poitn cost.

First of all, the character's name was spelled ADRIC, and he was during the Peter Davison era, not Tom Baker.

And now that I've revealed the extent of my nerdhood, I'll go even further...

The characters I'd suggest are (1) Wesley Crusher, or (2) Joxer the Mighty.

First of all, the character's name was spelled ADRIC,

You should be really ashamed you know that.

and he was during the Peter Davison era, not Tom Baker.

Actually it was both. He joined Baker originally in N-space but stayed a bit past the switch of Doctors.

Jim Hawking from Outlaw Star ( I filled in the one on the web but it was a great start)

Scooby Doo

Well I won't muddy the waters any further since you appear to have made your decision already. However, Samurai Champloo rocks, could you post your write up of Jin?

I have a name for this phenomenon-- I call it "The Adrik Syndrome" after the oldest example I know of' date=' the Adrik character during a period of the Tom Baker Dr. whos.[/quote']

First of all' date=' the character's name was spelled ADRIC, and he was during the Peter Davison era, not Tom Baker.[/quote']

Actually it was both. He joined Baker originally in N-space but stayed a bit past the switch of Doctors.

Never herd of the character before, but according to Wiki, he was on the show 1980-1982. So wouldn't this be Will Robertson Syndrome? (1965-1968)

Oooh, didnt think of GITS. yeah a few of them mgithve worked.

Scooby Doo

So to late to suggest Data from the Goonies then?

Well, yes, I'm sure there are earlier examples...

But I personally found Adric to sort of be the absolute essence of the problem.

YMMV.

for your enjoyment... a plot treatment someone once told me at a con..

Wesley Must Die: The transporter goes berserk creating duplicates of Wesley Crusher leading to an all out "phasers on kill" Wesley hunt.

Oh and my write up of Jin is pretty basic. I had to turn it out quick and this is a 150 pt game. By the time I got done buying him Kinjitsu (sp?) with the Damage Shield option there wasn't a lot more to do beside a guess at stats, some Acrobatics, and PS:Cooking. (I have a vague memory that it came up in an episode that he is actually a fine cook...)

Side note while researching I found out something I always wondered about-- what the hell does "Champloo" mean. Turns out its a corrupted transliteration of the original Japanese word in the title. Actually translated the title would be "Samurai Mix-up" or "Samurai Remix" which explains the record album image in the opening credits.

YMMV.

Wesley Must Die: The transporter goes berserk creating duplicates of Wesley Crusher leading to an all out "phasers on kill" Wesley hunt.

Be vewwy vewwy quiet . I'm hunting weswys !:eg:

Of course you did. Had you been a few years younger, you'd feel the same about Wesley Crusher. Older, Will Robinson. Older still, one of those annoying Timmys that some radio heroes got saddled with.

Every generation finds it necessary to reinvent the wheel. Or to despise the young supergenius who reinvents the wheel for that generation.

First - I despised Adric. His death was a happy moment. Of course I wasn't the biggest Dr. Who fan back in the 80's. It interrupted good gaming time on Saturdays because my group would all stop to watch. The effects sucked butt.

Second - How about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeaQuest_DSV#Cast Jonathan Brandis played the "know-it-all" kid but without being annoying.

YMMV.

Sometimes I think they killed off Adric rather than having him just leave the Doctor, just to try to make people feel less comfortable cheering his exit.