Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow

Cold Steel

Re: Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow

not only is this more or less correct' date=' but it goes deeper than this. apparently the guy showed the technology demonstration (which was a bunch of planes and robots blowing up, all disjointed and plotless) and the studio said "yes! thats awesome. make THAT into a feature length film!" it was just a demo reel, and it didn't even have a script until after large portions of the CG had been done. thats why the movie tanked. its was all just smoke and mirrors.[/quote']

Shades of Ed Wood!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of those " he Shadow, The Rocketeer, and The Phantom were right on target. I really really liked Nate & Hayes but it wasn't pulp to me. If you mean they weren't huge commercial successes, You're probably right.

In sky captain I found Gweneth Paltrow a complete loss. Angelina Jolie was underused. Jude Law did just fine. The movie almost made it but fell short on many counts. Often doing the troupe of the genre but missing the spirit of it quite cleanly. I really hated the actual man was dead and his machines were carrying out his orders. Good pulp need a good villain not the machine wizard of OZ.

Yep :D As a cohesive movies it was weak. But I just enjoyed all the bits.

On Nate & Hayes, it wasn't pulp as such, but it had some Pulpy elements. Plus the period was right. A tweek here and nudge there and it could have easily been Pulp. So I use it to pad out my pulp movie list :D

I didn't like the movie at all.

Particularly having the British Royal Navy had several flying aircraft carriers and airplanes that could function as submarines, with a woman as their commander. Yes, pulp did have many advanced "weird science" items, but they were never part of the regular armed forces.

And that's actually something I've never liked about the pulp/supers genre span -- the best weaponry and military tech is almost always in private hands, the complete reverse of how things actually work.

Most of those " he Shadow, The Rocketeer, and The Phantom were right on target. I really really liked Nate & Hayes but it wasn't pulp to me. If you mean they weren't huge commercial successes, You're probably right.

In sky captain I found Gweneth Paltrow a complete loss. Angelina Jolie was underused. Jude Law did just fine. The movie almost made it but fell short on many counts. Often doing the troupe of the genre but missing the spirit of it quite cleanly. I really hated the actual man was dead and his machines were carrying out his orders. Good pulp need a good villain not the machine wizard of OZ.

Personally, I liked Gwynneth Paltrow -- she wasn't meant to be intensely likeable, but she was fun to watch. The film also wasn't 'on her side', with the amount she messed up (including one of the funniest moments, when she takes a picture of the log when she falls). Angeline Jolie was indeed amazing, but I think she was used just the right amount of time; every single moment she had on the screen was amazing. Any more time and she'd have had dull moments, which would have reduced her presence. I'm glad they resisted the urge to use her more!

Guest steamteck

The thing I hated the most was the wasted potential. I remember thinking at the time that it had enough cool visuals and the atoms of concepts to go into a small group of movies or even a long-running series, if they had been developed and extended. Thinking back, it may have only made it to one somewhat longer, actually good movie (with respect to DW, who once said something like that), but that was my impression at the time.

Cool to look at, possibly even a good movie to get visual inspiration from, but overall a disappointment.

I agree. That's kind of what I was clumsily getting at but you cut to the chase.

Guest steamteck

Personally' date=' I liked Gwynneth Paltrow -- she wasn't meant to be intensely likeable, but she was fun to watch. The film also wasn't 'on her side', with the amount she messed up (including one of the funniest moments, when she takes a picture of the log when she falls). Angeline Jolie was indeed amazing, but I think she was used just the right amount of time; every single moment she had on the screen was amazing. Any more time and she'd have had dull moments, which would have reduced her presence. I'm glad they resisted the urge to use her more![/quote']

True I suppose overexposure could have lessened her presence. Paltrow has just never done much for me. She really seemed to not be into it also. Seemed very wooden. I think she was trying to be Lois Lane but failing in my book.

Guest Admiral C

I liked the film and agree that it had a lot of potential. When a movie, to me, fails to be internally consistant I can still rank a film as fun or not. And Sky Captain was defiently a fun movie. And like comic book movies the bad ones that make it to the theater pave the way for the good ones to make it there. The provide the opportunity to figure out what went wrong and how they did this or that and what worked on screen and what didn't. Granted it won't prevent a flop if the producers are making a short sighted decision for a what they believe is a cash cow.

Personally I believe that good scriptwriters are where a good movie starts and and a bad movie begins too.

One of the most visually amazing films in a while. However, when you combine that with a lack of a plot and the worst on screen chemistry of two leading actors you get a BAD movie.

I echo the many calls that this was an absolute waste of great potential. I mean, come on, the name alone is completely badass. Why did the movie have to suck.

Actually the Pulp Era ran from the 1920's to the 1950's. Though I am pretty sure they were mostly gone by 46-48ish. But I don't really know. If you trust the Wikipedia it says the first recognized Pulp was Frank Munsey's revamped Argosy Magazine of 1896 and the 1957 bankruptcy of the American News Company as marking the end of the "pulp era. But then I have yet to find many people who can agree on it.

Speaking as the holder of a degree in History, it seems that people only agree on the beginning or end when there is a definite event. Even then there are those who want to disagree.

BTW, my wife (a school librarian) hates Wikipedia for the amount of inaccurate and plain wrong info that seems to be there.

Speaking as the holder of a degree in History, it seems that people only agree on the beginning or end when there is a definite event. Even then there are those who want to disagree.

BTW, my wife (a school librarian) hates Wikipedia for the amount of inaccurate and plain wrong info that seems to be there.

Well the Argosy as a Pulp in 1882 is easily verifiable via multiple independent sites to include cover screen shots as well as actual content you can read. Though in 43 it switched from all fiction to mixed content and in its life had more than 10 title changes until it ceased. There were a few issues in 78 and 79, but I never saw them and can't say if someone was just banking on the name.

Weird Tales ran from 1923 to 1954, also independently verifiable.

That pretty much makes Pulp to have existed in publication from 1882 to 1954, not counting later reprints and specials. Now it also depends on what you consider Pulp. If westerns are not pulp in your mind then you will probably be disregarding one of the larger chunks of the Pulps published. But Pulp covers a very wide range of genres. Sports, Mystery, Crime, War, Old West, SciFi, Horror and on and on.

As for degrees, the library and Wiki. I am not going to list the list that brings up. I will just say that Wiki is a tool. And a tool is only as good as the user. If a Wiki listing is incorrect, it is extremely easy to fix it. If the libraries still had their old Catalog Card system (or at least had retained ALL of it’s information, namely the subject cross reference capability) then people would still go there and not places like the Wiki. But unless it is a University Library or the central branch of a major city, libraries have pretty much outlived their usefulness for the serious user of books. They sure can get that cook book though.

Defining "The Pulp Era" is perhaps a little harder to do than might be supposed. Magazines such as "Argosy" and "All Story" have been mentioned as being "Pulp" but what about magazines such as "The Frank Reade Library" or "The Strand" ? I think that the sort of stories written in those magazines could easily be defined as "Pulp" and "The Frank Reade Library" was publishing S F Adventure stories in the late 1860's (The "Frank Reade Jnr" stories). Certainly the Western Pulps can trace their origins back to the nineteenth century and the proliferation of "Dime Novels" featuring the adventures of both real historical characters (such as Jesse James) and invented ones such as "Deadwood Dick" that occurred in the mid to late nineteenth century.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed it a lot, though I wouldn't say it was one of my favorite movies by any stretch. I found myself pretty fond of the character "Dex" who is probably the character I am most likely to rip off if I ever do swipe some ideas from SC&tWoT

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed it a lot' date=' though I wouldn't say it was one of my favorite movies by any stretch. I found myself pretty fond of the character "Dex" who is probably the character I am most likely to rip off if I ever do swipe some ideas from SC&tWoT[/quote']

speakink of which have joe polly &dex had theit stats written up?

• 7 months later...

Personally' date=' I loved this movie. The only thing that really bothered me about it and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was the wholesale slaughter of zeppelins. "Oh, the humanity!"[/quote']

I guess The Rocketeer bothered you too? :sneaky: