Shared Clips

Pattern Ghost

Suppose a character has a matched set of pistols, twin .45s for the sake of argument.

Now, normally for a gun build, I'm going to go with something like 4 clips of 8 charges. If I buy two guns with an identical build, I get 8 clips of 8 charges. That's a lot of clips. Even though both are defined as .45 autos, same make, etc., using the clips interchangeably doesn't seem kosher to me. For the sake of flavor, having 8 clips is a bit excessive.

So, what about sharing the 8 clips between both? How would you handle it? It means the -0 limitation aught to be worth a bit more since you have access to less total charges. On the other hand, it also conveys a small benefit in the charges working for both powers.

An obvious work around would be an END Reserve, but that doesn't evoke the feel that clips does, of reloading.

The other obvious work around is to simply buy 2 clips of 8 charges on each power, and either assign an Advantage for shared clips, or GM handwave it.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Shared Clips

When you use the 5-points for 2x the number of items rule, I would adjudicate that the resulting items are by definition identical and can share clips. So, each gun comes with 4 clips in your build, and you have 8 total. If you want fewer total clips, then build each with only 2. Seriously, sharing clips in this way is at most a +0 advantage.

If you want to go further and say that the guns can take some standard clip design and anyone with compatible ammo and clip can hand you one from their gun, then I'd let someone tack on a +1/4 advantage for 'standard NATO clips with standard NATO ammo' or the equivalent.

Re: Shared Clips

I really' date=' really hate that five point doubling rule.[/quote']

It has it good uses too though.

take the following:

Here's the latest cleaned up version:

27 6 Guns in 1 (Colt Peacemaker & Various Ammo): Multipower, 37-point reserve, all slots 8 clips of 6 Charges (+0), Limited Power Number of different ammo types in clips (speed loaders) are normally set before combat. Takes 1/2 phase to change ammo distribution of clips using Fast Draw. (+0) (37 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1), Limited Power x6 number of items is only to allow use of Rapid Fire with different ammo slots in combination with 6 Guns in 1 (It's like he's using 6 different guns at one time! part 1 & 2). (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Limited Power All slots can be Missle Deflected (even Explosive and Sparkler AOE slots which can't take Beam Limitation) (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4) [Notes: (x6 number of items) <--- {This accounts for 15 of the 27 Real Points above} Number of rounds of each slot type for each clip must be defined at beginning of adventure.] - END=

1u 1) Normal Bullets: RKA 2d6, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (37 Active Points) - END=0

1u 2) Variable SFX Bullets: RKA 2d6-1, Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; Cold Iron, Silver, Holy, etc...; +1/4), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (37 Active Points) - END=0

1u 3) Hollow Point Bullets: RKA 2d6-1, +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2) (37 Active Points) - END=0

1u 4) Armor Piercing Bullets: RKA 2d6-1, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (37 Active Points) - END=0

1u 5) Penetrating Bullets: RKA 1d6, +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2), Penetrating (x2; +1) (37 Active Points) - END=0

1u 6) Rubber Bullets: EB 7d6+1 (37 Active Points); Limited Range (-1/4) - END=0

1u 7) Explosive Bullets: RKA 2d6-1, Explosion (+1/2) (37 Active Points) - END=0

1u 8) Sparkler Bullets: Sight and Hearing Groups Flash 4d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (37 Active Points) - END=0

1u 9) Expanding Foam Bullets: Entangle 2d6, 3 DEF (Larger Wall (+1"), Stops A Given Sense Group Sight Group) (37 Active Points) - END=0

- END=

5 6 Guns in 1 (Instead of 6 guns): Invisible Power Effects, SFX Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2) for up to 15 Active Points of (x6 number of items, 15 active points) on 6 Guns in 1 (Colt Peacemaker & Various Ammo), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (10 Active Points); OAF (-1) - END=0

- END=

3 6 Guns in 1 (It's like he's using 6 different guns at one time! part 1): Extra Limbs (6), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Linked (Armor Piercing Bullets; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -3/4), Limited Power Only to allow use x6 number of items and Rapid Fire with different ammo slots in combination with 6 Guns in 1 (It's like he's using 6 different guns at one time! part 1 & 2). (-1/2) - END=0

3 6 Guns in 1 (It's like he's using 6 different guns at one time! part 2): Penalty Skill Levels: +3 vs. Offhand Penalty with Colt Peacemaker Multiple Item (6) Multipowers with All Attacks (9 Active Points); OAF (-1), Linked (6 Guns in 1 (Instead of 6 guns); -1/2), Limited Power Only to allow use x6 number of items and Rapid Fire with different ammo slots in combination with 6 Guns in 1 (It's like he's using 6 different guns at one time! part 1 & 2). (-1/2) [Notes: Allows any remaining multipower 'slot' or bullet from an existing clip to be used first in any phase at no penalty. Use of Rapid Fire still imposes standard penalties for multiple shots fired. ] - END=

which was a response to this request:

I have a character who is an old west style gun slinger.

Right now he uses a normal six-shooter as his weapon.

I want to give him multiple kinds of bullets: normal, sliver, armor piercing, explosive, etc...

I was planning on simply giving him a multipower where each slot is a different kind of bullet:

Colt Peacemaker: Multipower, OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), 60 point reserve (30 real points)

1u 1) Normal Bullets: RKA 2d6-1, 4 6-charge clips (-1/4) (25 active points)

1u 2) Silver Bullets: RKA 2d6-1, 4 6-charge clips (-1/4) (25 active points)

2u 3) Armor Piercing Bullet: RKA 2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2) 2 6-charge clips (-1/2) (45 active points)

And so on...

The problems I have run into are thus:

1) I want to be able to change 1 bullet at a time without the active cost of the powers going over 60 points.

2) I want to be able to use the blaze away or rapid fire combat actions. If I buy the gun as a multipower thought, I can only use 1 kind of bullet in a single phase. What I want though is to be able to blaze away or rapid fire with multiple types of bullets (even if the type of bullet is meaningless to the encounter).

EX: I am running low on ammo. I have 2 normal bullets left and 2 silver bullets. I want to use rapid fire to hit 3 agents.

3) Even if I buy the gun with 1,000 charges that are not divided into clips, I want to only be able to fire 6 shots in a single phase, or 6 shots before needing to reload the gun.

Thanks for the help.

Be seeing you.