Gun and Armor Critique.

VR Dragon

One of my players if playing a Time Cop from the Future character who gets stuck in the past.

Anyways, we came up with an idea for his powers. The gun I was wondering if we did right. and the Armor, we wanted to make a suit of armor that grows to cover his body and recedes to it's housing unit when not needed. Basically that could be turned off and on.

Any advise? Comments?

53 Quantum Phased Flux Cannon: Multipower, 80-point reserve, (80 Active Points); all slots OIF (-1/2)

5u 1) Power Purge Blast: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6 (75 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

5u 2) Quantum Flux Field: Entangle 3d6, 5 DEF, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (80 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

5u 3) Standard Blast: Energy Blast 10d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (75 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

5u 4) Blast Setting 2: Energy Blast 12d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

5u 5) Explosive Blast: Energy Blast 10d6, Explosion (+1/2) (75 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

5u 6) Armored Blast: Energy Blast 10d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (75 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

Micro Power Clip: [/i]Endurance Reserve (50 END, 10 REC) Reserve: (15 Active Points); OIF (Gun) (-1/2)

40 Nano Mesh Armor: Force Field (15 PD/15 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

Re: Gun and Armor Critique.

Overall looks good, and shows promise, from what I've seen.

Slot 2, the Quantum Flux Field.. I'm not sure what you intend by making the Entangle Persistent. Does it fire off whether you're conscious or not? Is it possible you mean to make it Continuing, in which case you may need to make adjustments for some costs.

The Nano Mesh Armor seems correct, but could also be bought as Armor, for 45 Active Points; OIF (-1/2) = 30 Real.

A 5d6 RKA is extremely lethal. Someone who carries a KA, in campaigns I run, _means_ to take lives, intends to be deadly, and has premeditated this in the eyes of others. YMMV.

I find it a little odd that the gun has an END Reserve (the Micro Power Clip) yet some of the attacks cost no END. To me it would make more sense if all the shots used some END. Or you could take a charges limitation on the Multipower reserve. I too find the Persistent Entangle a little odd.

I think I like Comic's idea of making the Nano Mesh Armor as Armor instead of a FF.

Technically speaking I can see no rules violations.

Well the entangle was an attempt to make it continue to exist/function if the points of the multipower where switched to anther slot. As I understand MPs if a slot is changed then it's effects stop/turn off at that moment.

How would I build such an entangle that as part of an MP Continues on after it's slot is switched and doesn't continue to need endurance upkeep?

The only attack besides the entangle to have no end cost is the basic shot. This is suppose to be a shot that the power pack can produce enough power for in an unlimited amount. The other shots are meant to tax the power unit abit but is recovers from the strain.

Armor. How would you build an armor that appears like a wristband but when touched morphs over your body into a suit of armor and back into a wristband when not in use. You know how shows have this guy who wears this big suit of body armor then hits a button and it whirls, plates clank and slide, and stuff shrinks until it's reduced in size to become no burden.

The RKA is meant to use on heavily armored targets that are hard to hurt. Like Stun immune robots.

I think just a basic entangle would work. Is it plasma bands that shoot out and wrap around the target? If so, then you wouldn't need to keep pumping energy into them...they just are until broken IIRC....someone please correct me if that's wrong. I think you could buy the armor with an activation roll.....covering the body and starting as a wristband are just special effects really. It's like a force field belt. It's a belt...you push a button (activation roll) and voila....a force field.

You don't need any modifier on the Entangle. Since Entangle is an Instant power, the effects don't end when you switch the multipower away from it any more than the damage from an EB heals after you switch away from it.

As for the Armour, I'd buy it as:

36 Nano Mesh Armour Armour (15 PD/15 ED), OIHID (-1/4)

Focus would work too, but whenever I hear talk of a retracting suit of armour, my first thought is OIHID.

Or you could just buy it as straight Armor. Armor can be turned off.

Actually, I think buying Armor and making it Visible (-1/4) works; as you say, it can be turned off, and this provides the visual effect of the armor enveloping the character when he activates it; otherwise, there would be no visible evidence that the character put the armor on, since it's normally invisible.

I agree with Collie on this. Make it straight Armor. You could use Visible, OIHID, or IIF. I had this issue before - and why you want to buy it as Armor vs Force Field is persistence. It looks like you already caught that flaw, if someone knocks him out the armor turns off.

As for your Multi-power Gun, I'd actually purchase it with Charges. Have each slot be X number of charges, some with 0 Endurance to reflect no charges (doesn't draw enough power to use a charge). And I believe it also circumvents your slot change and endurance usage.

Someone who carries a KA, in campaigns I run, _means_ to take lives, intends to be deadly, and has premeditated this in the eyes of others. YMMV.

Or, they have the option of a really big gun for destroying giant robots and foci. Besides, non-killing attacks are lethal levels of damage against normals, so the same could be said of anyone with super powered attacks that aren't stun only or entangles or the like.

Actually' date=' I think buying Armor and making it Visible (-1/4) works; as you say, it can be turned off, and this provides the visual effect of the armor enveloping the character when he activates it; otherwise, there would be no visible evidence that the character put the armor on, since it's normally invisible.[/quote']

I always go by Armor being visible by default. Now, you can define the visibility as either tough skin that noticeably bounces bullets and other attacks, or as obviously rocky or metallic or whatever covering that does the same thing. Nothing in the description of Armor states that it's inherently invisible. (I could be missing a FAQ entry or something, though, and don't have Revised 5th.So if that's the case I wouldn't mind being pointed at such info.)

I'd only buy it as invisible if it didn't appear to stop any of the incoming damage, and the character looked injured/battered up after taking damage that the armor blocked. Which is useful for a few character concepts.

Personally, I don't see a problem with the 0 END slots and the END Reserve. They just draw so little power the reserve recovers it almost instantly (the couple of seconds between the character's phases being when it "recovers".)

Though, a 3d6 Entangle is pretty low, I'd probably remove the 0 END advantage or take it to 1/2 END to buy up the Entangle dice.

I have a problem with that RKA too. It should be a 5d6+1 RKA ;)

If I GM anyone who uses any attack which does body is using a lethal weapon. People with 2 pd/ed hit by big attacks will be just as dead whether they are hit by Energy Blasts or Killing Attacks.

I think if you put reasonable amount of charges, and then have certain slots not needing to use the charges you should be fine. But you might also want to look at 'Variable Advantage' this may be worthwhile when you think about it. You can change between slots before firing (like a multipower) but you can do that with your advantages - reduced endurance, Armor piercing, Penatrating, Double Knockback, etc...

Yeah your damage threshold might be lower, overall it might work better.

Also I noticed that you have the weapon as OIF - is this weapon attached to the Armored Suit, or is it a Gun. If it is a Gun then it should be OAF, unless he can never have it removed from him. If you are expecting this weapon to only be utilized by the character, that is already built in, unless they have the disadvantage of Independent

I always go by Armor being visible by default. Now, you can define the visibility as either tough skin that noticeably bounces bullets and other attacks, or as obviously rocky or metallic or whatever covering that does the same thing. Nothing in the description of Armor states that it's inherently invisible. (I could be missing a FAQ entry or something, though, and don't have Revised 5th.So if that's the case I wouldn't mind being pointed at such info.)

I'd only buy it as invisible if it didn't appear to stop any of the incoming damage, and the character looked injured/battered up after taking damage that the armor blocked. Which is useful for a few character concepts.

Armor is one of those 'inherently costs no END' powers and, thusly, does not have visible special effects. Hero System 5th (unrevised), pg. 69, 'Endurance and Special Effects', 4th paragraph.

Armor is one of those 'inherently costs no END' powers and' date=' thusly, does not have visible special effects. Hero System 5th (unrevised), pg. 69, 'Endurance and Special Effects', 4th paragraph.[/quote']

Thanks for the page reference. Repped.

Bah, must spread it around. Can someone hit Crosshair Collie with the rep stick for me? =)

5th has some funky organization sometimes.

So Armor 15/15 OIHID and Visible would build the desired armor effect?

Yup, that works for me. The only thing you may want to take a look about is your damage to protection ratio. I would definitely look at the recommendations that are in the beginning of the book on Active Point Costs to protection ratio. I had a 10PD/10ED Armor for a 75 Active Point Campaign that was nearly indestructible based on what the GM was rolling. I am sure it was the dice, not the build - but still.

And you can also build the weapon with multiple slots with charges or 0 END. This may work also - it would be more like the Law Giver from Judge Dredd though.