Online Spacer's Toolkit

Dholcrist

Whatever happened to the "Spacer's Toolkit" (or whatever it was called, I forget) that was in the free section that had an assortment of technology/ships for Star Hero? Or am I dreaming things up? Sorry to make a thread on something so minor, but can't think of what it was called, so searches are coming up fruitless.

And many apologies if I'm just being an idiot and missing the link.

Re: Online Spacer's Toolkit

I'm pretty sure you got the name right. Personally, I don't know what happened to it or the online Super Powers Database - I was pretty much away from the boards when that change took place. So, while I'm of little help here, I too would like to know what happened to it.

Aroooo

Both the online toolkits were eliminated in the recent site update. The Online USPD isn't such a big deal since it's been published as USPD2, and the only person making any significant contributions to the STKO was myself so it was apparently not bringing in that much interest.

Both the online toolkits were eliminated in the recent site update. The Online USPD isn't such a big deal since it's been published as USPD2' date=' and the only person making any significant contributions to the STKO was myself so it was apparently not bringing in that much interest.[/quote']

I was afraid of that. I completely understand the elimination of the USPD, but STKO had some useful stuff in it that I haven't seen posted elsewhere. Ah well, thanks for the answers everyone, glad to know that I'm not just crazy.

Thanks to the marvelous Internet Archive Wayback Machine, most of the Spacer's Toolkit Online can still be accessed: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.herogames.com/StarHero/SpacersToolkit/thetoolkit.htm

Note that the page I've linked to displays multiple links to the Toolkit, because individual archived entries don't contain all the submissions to it; but between them you'll be able to find almost everything that was on it.

repped!

However, I'm having trouble pulling up all the site's graphics. Don't know if it just my office connection (too many folks surfing you tube?) or the archive site. Will try later tonight.

If I (or anyone else) can get that info - of Bob if you have HD files - I'll add that to the starherofandom site.

Aroooo

repped!

However, I'm having trouble pulling up all the site's graphics. Don't know if it just my office connection (too many folks surfing you tube?) or the archive site. Will try later tonight.

If I (or anyone else) can get that info - of Bob if you have HD files - I'll add that to the starherofandom site.

Aroooo

I've found that some graphics from many websites don't reproduce from Internet Archive entries, no matter when or how they're accessed. My guess would be that they were loaded from other sources on their servers which weren't archived as part of those web pages.

However, I have discovered that an archived link which returns a "page not found" result at one time, may connect successfully on another occasion; so if there's a Toolkit entry you're interested in that you couldn't call up on the first go, it's worth trying again at another time or date.

Sorry. I should have said' date=' any significant [i']amount[/i] of contribution. All individual contributions, even if only one item, should be counted as significant in their own right.

That's sweet.

But anyways, thanks a great deal Liaden, this helps a lot. Rep!

Scratch that, gotta spread some around first. IOU Rep.

Should I put it on the wiki?

Hmm... my concern would be confusion over how to use it. People unfamiliar with the Internet Archive might not understand getting a page with multiple links that doesn't look anything like the STOL. And since no one link has all the entries, linking to just one of those pages won't net you everything.

Hmm... my concern would be confusion over how to use it. People unfamiliar with the Internet Archive might not understand getting a page with multiple links that doesn't look anything like the STOL. And since no one link has all the entries' date=' linking to just one of those pages won't net you everything.[/quote']

Is there any way everything could just be copied over to the Wiki (with author's permission, of course) so a new OST could be started? In my view, even if nobody really contributes, it's a valuable resource. Especially considering how little actual equipment the actual printed ST has. Just a thought.

Is there any way everything could just be copied over to the Wiki (with author's permission' date=' of course) so a new OST could be started? In my view, even if nobody really contributes, it's a valuable resource. Especially considering how little actual equipment the actual printed ST has. Just a thought.[/quote']

Thats what I want to do by putting it up on starherofandom...

Aroooo

More to the point, is this data something Ben or Dan can pull out of the original database as text? If so, that would be even better.

Aroooo

If you get permission from Hero Games to post these game stats somewhere, turning the web page entries into text is pretty easy IME. Just drag your cursor across the field containing the printing to highlight it, Copy, then Paste into whatever text program you prefer. I've done this lots of times, often preserving the original format.

If you get permission from Hero Games to post these game stats somewhere' date=' turning the web page entries into text is pretty easy IME. Just drag your cursor across the field containing the printing to highlight it, Copy, then Paste into whatever text program you prefer. I've done this lots of times, often preserving the original format.[/quote']

Wait wait wait, what?? I'm not following. You just highlight the text, then say "Copy!"? Or does it just know? I've never heard of this, but certainly is appropriate for the Star Hero forums!:thumbup:

Wait wait wait' date=' what?? I'm not following. You just highlight the text, then say "Copy!"? Or does it just know? I've never heard of this, but certainly is appropriate for the Star Hero forums!:thumbup:[/quote']

Well, I'm not certain how all other web-browsers work, but my Internet Explorer window toolbar has a clipboard icon, as well as an "Edit" command which drops down a menu including "Copy". When I click on either the icon or the command, any text that I've highlighted will be temporarily stored in RAM and can be Pasted (another icon or Edit command) into any compatible word-processing program, like Windows Wordpad.

Well' date=' I'm not certain how all other web-browsers work, but my Internet Explorer window toolbar has a clipboard icon, as well as an "Edit" command which drops down a menu including "Copy". When I click on either the icon or the command, any text that I've highlighted will be temporarily stored in RAM and can be Pasted (another icon or Edit command) into any compatible word-processing program, like Windows Wordpad.[/quote']

Or just right click and copy, or ctrl+c or.....:D

Firefox works much the same.....

*crawls back under rock*

Well' date=' I'm not certain how all other web-browsers work, but my Internet Explorer window toolbar has a clipboard icon, as well as an "Edit" command which drops down a menu including "Copy". When I click on either the icon or the command, any text that I've highlighted will be temporarily stored in RAM and can be Pasted (another icon or Edit command) into any compatible word-processing program, like Windows Wordpad.[/quote']

Oh, I thought we were being sarcastic.

...are we still? I'm confused. :confused:

Oh, I thought we were being sarcastic.

...are we still? I'm confused. :confused:

Me, too. Was that not an honest question? I was treating it as such. I don't make assumptions about what anyone happens to know about how their OS functions. Lord knows I have plenty of gaps in my knowledge.

If I gave anyone the impression that I was being sarcastic or talking down to them, that wasn't my intention, and I apologise.