Cities

The Mad GM

Re: Cities

Originally posted by The Mad GM

Are there any really good City Setting resources out there for FH?

How about general fantasy?

To toot me own horn, you might look at my Savage Earth city of Tallon. It's very campaign-specific, but there might be some stuff there you can use.

Keith "Civic Engineer" Curtis

Re: Cities

Originally posted by The Mad GM

Are there any really good City Setting resources out there for FH?

How about general fantasy?

Strrets of Silver

Lead developer: Harald henning

d 20 system, A Twin Crown's Adventurers Guide

ISBN: 0-9712145-3-0

Little on the expensive side, and for d 20, but I read throughit and it has a pretty good tapestry for a Venice like city setting.

Includes a fold out, detachable map.

I'd recommend looking for some of the "Citybooks" and "Maps: Cities" published by Flying Buffalo several years ago. The Citybooks (there were at least 4, but I've only read 1 and 2) had maps, desriptions, and/or plot lines for many different types of fantasy city buildings and characters that you could adapt to any game system. I adapted most of books 1 and 2 to my FH campaign years ago, and they were some of the best parts of the campaign. There's some work involved though: the books don't even have d20 stats, just descriptions of powers and abilities in general terms, with a simple system for comparing skill levels in different types of magic. I found the adaptation to be well worth the effort.

I've never seen "Maps: Cities," but I understand it has full city maps that you can flesh out with new material and ideas from the Citybooks. Both of these products might be out of print now, but I'll bet they aren't too hard to find.

a few weeks ago i found one at Half Price books. its the palladium RPG Book 2: The Old Ones. has 34 towns and cities, 21 forts, and some other miscellaneous stuff. it has a layout of an entire kingdom and where the cities are within it, but i don't think i'd use the entire kingdom, just plant the cities in my own world. some of the towns and such are detailed more than others and they have names for shops and everything else. i saw a current edition in my LGS. mine is from like 1984 and used but it works.

I usually use different sources for cities. I use maps from the Forgotten Realms, Middle Earth (ICE, not Decipher), Harn, Shadow World, and 7th Sea. I just change the names and do whatever modifications I need to do.

You can even go that other company's website and clivck on the Map a Week section. There are at least a couple of city maps there, usually divided into several parts. Since they're just maps without text, you can use them however you want.

There was a really good Lankhmar suppliment for AD&D ages ago. It is the only bit of my AD&D stuff that I still have.

It was mostly about Lankhmar, but it covered all of Nehwon to some degree.

I also have the Thieves' Guild suppliment, which is not quite so good.

I wonder if you could find it on E-Bay, or maybe Noble Knights Games? They have some out of print stuff.

Ah yes, check out http://www.nobleknight.com/ for lots of out of print Lankhmar stuff.

I have stuff

I have The Lankmar supplement, the Thieves world supplement, and a product put out by Gary Gygax’s long since defunct company called “The City of Baldamar†which is a fantastic generic fantasy city. I would be interested in trading if you have either Alien Enemies or the book with PSI in it. If you don’t I will sell you the whole lot of them for whatever it cost to ship them. Let me know if you are interested.