Stats for barbed wire

Arc Esu

Re: Stats for barbed wire

I'm designing a prison with a fence topped with barbed wire. My attempts to locate stats for barbed wire' date=' both on these boards and on the "Ultimate Index," have met with failure. Any suggestions on how to build realistic barbed wire?[/quote']It would be either a Drain on Running or a low-powered Entangle, since anyone can get out of it given a little time.

Barbed wire can still tear the hell out of a guy if he runs or falls into it real good, or if he's not wearing thick clothing.

Razorwire will cut a dude up, though, hardcore. It's what they're using more and more now.

I've been hung up in razorwire, and while it sucks, it wasn't life threatening in any way. With an unlucky Unluck roll, you could slice a blood vessel open, I suppose, but the general idea of both kinds of wire is to tangle a guy up long enough to shoot him.

Barbed wire is perfect for hindering movement. It slows you down but anyone can get through it and on it's own is not much of a hazard. Probably a movement suppress IMHO

What makes barbed wire dangerous is when you combine that slow down with a machine gun nest! :bmk:

Interestingly enough, I was reading last month's National Geographic (or maybe this month's, technically...subscribers get them early of course), and the first article was describing the boundary between the Sahara and the more southerly parts of Africa. The author of the article spent a while in a prison in Darfur, accused of spying, and in one of the incidents he describes from that time, a prisoner escaped, cutting himself on the razor wire, and leaving behind about a cup of his blood.

This guy most likely had minimal clothes on, going from the other descriptions of the prison, and was cut bad enough to lose some STUN, but probably not bad enough to be life threatening. Someone with fairly heavy clothes, like most military uniforms, probably wouldn't have been cut even that badly.

I'd say build it as an entangle with a low DCV, say 3.....it's as easy to hit as a hex basically....find out the body of a piece of wire......maybe say 5 Body.....not having my book in front of me, I believe there is a "does damage" Advantage, make it do 1-2 pips of damage and give it "Autofire" to simulate multiple barbs per foot of wire (I believe there's about 3-4 barbs per foot of wire....). That's how I'd do it.

Barbed Wire:

• Barbed Wire Fence: Change Environment 1" radius (2" Line; +0), -4" of Running, Long-Lasting Permanent, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (51 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, Character May Take No Other Actions, -2 1/4), OAF Immobile Durable (-2), No Range (-1/2), Avoidable (Effects Can Be Avoided By A Dex Roll Or Moving At 1"; -1/2): 8 Real Cost.
  • Barbs: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Damage Shield (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF Immobile Durable (-2), Extra Time (5 Minutes, Only to Activate, -1), No STR Bonus (-1/2), Avoidable (Damage Can Be Avoided By A Dex Roll Or Moving At 1"; -1/2), Linked (Barbed Wire Fence; -1/2), No Knockback (-1/4): 3 Real Cost.

So: 11 points to be able to set up your barbed-wire fence in a 2" line. It usually slows people down by 4", and causes them damage if they don't either a) slow down to 1" movement to go over it, or B) make a Dex roll to avoid it. Subject, of course, to the usual acrobatics rolls to go over a fence without slowing down...

I'm designing a prison with a fence topped with barbed wire. My attempts to locate stats for barbed wire' date=' both on these boards and on the "Ultimate Index," have met with failure. Any suggestions on how to build realistic barbed wire?[/quote']

I saw this thread while skimming along, and my first thought was "Barb Wire? As IN Pam Anderson? This I gotta see!"

Imagine my disappointment when I find it's about wire with actual barbs. ;)

Barbed Wire:

• Barbed Wire Fence: Change Environment 1" radius (2" Line; +0), -4" of Running, Long-Lasting Permanent, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (51 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, Character May Take No Other Actions, -2 1/4), OAF Immobile Durable (-2), No Range (-1/2), Avoidable (Effects Can Be Avoided By A Dex Roll Or Moving At 1"; -1/2): 8 Real Cost.
  • Barbs: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Damage Shield (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF Immobile Durable (-2), Extra Time (5 Minutes, Only to Activate, -1), No STR Bonus (-1/2), Avoidable (Damage Can Be Avoided By A Dex Roll Or Moving At 1"; -1/2), Linked (Barbed Wire Fence; -1/2), No Knockback (-1/4): 3 Real Cost.

So: 11 points to be able to set up your barbed-wire fence in a 2" line. It usually slows people down by 4", and causes them damage if they don't either a) slow down to 1" movement to go over it, or B) make a Dex roll to avoid it. Subject, of course, to the usual acrobatics rolls to go over a fence without slowing down...

Um, verses ED? I can't see any reason why this physical object would work against Energy Defense instead of Physical Defense.

If it were me, I'd just stat out the damage the Barbs cause, and use stats for the DEF & BODY of appropriate strength wire for the fence. Otherwise, it's overkill, like trying to stat out a spoon IMO.

Continuous AoE Entangle with trigger & feedback?

Trigger condition is entering the area of effect moving faster than 1"/phase. (if you go slow, you can pick your way through it)

Feedback is the damage it does if you just try to bull through it. A character trying to run through a barbed wire entanglement is doing a move through on it, right? If he's trying to move through it without using his phase, or hits it unexpectedly, he'd get only casual strength on the move through.

Maybe add selective to the AoE, so it doesnt 'go off' and entangle everyone in the area just because one guy went rushing into it, while another was busy picking his way through. Give it some bonus OCV to hit in this case.

Re: the 'Vs. ED' bit -- no, of course not. HC just has that as the default, and I didn't think about changing it.

In regards to building the fence as an Entangle, well, they are avoidable. And even if you're 'caught', for someone with manipulating digits it isn't too hard to get yourself off them -- IF you take the time to do so. Yes, cattle can get killed on barbed wire fences, and the rolls of barbed wire in WWI and WWII were nasty things (and they'd have a different build), but for the most part the above is what I'd see for a fence topped with barbed wire. They slow you down, and if you're not careful, they hurt you.

Ah, that'll teach me to read the original post more closely instead of getting distracted by the follow ups.

To the original poster (Arc Esu) : Are you thinking a fence topped with a few parallel strands of barbed wire drawn tight and anchored at the ends, or one topped with a loose coil of barbed wire anchored on the bottom?

In the case of the strands, there isnt much of a chance to actually get hung up on them, so I'd just make it a small triggered attack (or damage sheild) that targets anyone trying to climb over the fence. A small attack that is avoidable by taking a bit of time.

In the case of the coil, I'd think it is possible to get tangled up in it. Treat it as the strands, but make the attack higher OCV, and have an additional triggered attack (or DS) that does Entangle. Avoidable by taking more time, and making a DEX check.

The approach I posted in the earlier post envisioned a specifically constructed military style barbed wire obstacle, not civilian fence topping :)