Urban Fantasy dead horses.

Spence

Re: Urban Fantasy dead horses.

I strongly recommend it, but then again I also love Moonheart, so our tastes might not be the same.

Though for a different flavour I'd recommend his Newford books.

Taste is a big thing. But I have discovered several books recently that I had relegated to the garbage heap years ago. They aren’t that bad these days ;)

I also reread one of the “classics” from the day and was thinking OMG I liked this! It's c*ap.

Taste changes methinks :D

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved The Sword of Shanarra when I was in high school. Loved it. Read it over and over. About 5 years ago I decided to re-read large amounts of my library and pitch anything I realized was cr*p. I didn't get past page two before tossing The Sword of Shanarra.

I loved The Sword of Shanarra when I was in high school. Loved it. Read it over and over. About 5 years ago I decided to re-read large amounts of my library and pitch anything I realized was cr*p. I didn't get past page two before tossing The Sword of Shanarra.

:snicker:

I think for me the problem is Harry was a fantastic read when he was stuggling at the bottom.

But now he is a uber mage and the "poor outclassed me" is wearing thin. Things may be tough. But he is in the big leagues and would know it.

Your descriptions matches up pretty close to where I am as well. The 200 page whine-fest is getting old, especially now that he is reaching mary-sue levels of competence. I enjoyed reading the last book, but I think it is falling away from interesting innovative read to quick easy read.

Which makes more "sense" from a game standpoint. He's ridden in cars with no problem' date=' for example.[/quote']

Cars have electrical systems they can't run without, unless they're diesel, maybe, and even then...

Oh, Markdoc beat me to it.

I never did - I had unfortunatly for Brooks, read Lord of the Rings first, and the Sword seemed far too much to be cheap, badly written plagiarism.

However - I did like Elfstones, because the silent demon assassin was very cool :)

I never did - I had unfortunatly for Brooks' date=' read Lord of the Rings first, and the Sword seemed far too much to be cheap, badly written plagiarism.[/quote']

Precisely! Although McKiernan's Iron Tower Trilogy was much more guilty of that particular crime.

Probably what annoyed me most about Shannara was the Mary Sue Allanon. But that's not the only thing.