Haymaker! Cover Caption Contest

BoloOfEarth

Hello, all!

I posted a few months back, looking for contributors to Haymaker!, an APAzine dedicated to the HERO System. I'm back again to let you know about the return of our Cover Caption Contest.

Just submit a caption for the cover of our latest issue any time before September. The winner (chosen by a group of contributors to that issue) will receive a copy of that issue, as well as bragging rights, your name on our website, and our undying gratitude. (What, you were expecting money? None of us are getting paid, either!)

You can get to the caption contest directly here, or by clicking on the Issues link from our main page, www.haymaker.org.

(Oh, and thanks again to Darren and the DOJ crew for kindly allowing us to use Foxbat on our latest cover.)

• 3 months later...

Re: Haymaker! Cover Caption Contest

Hello, again!

First of all, the winning caption of the cover for last month's issue (#44, viewable here) was Edd Ghent, who submitted: "Foxbat: Forever Stranded on First." The runner-up was Ken Moore with "Give me your weird, impure, befuddled masses yearning for a crime spree." Both have received a copy of that issue in appreciation for their captions, and their names and captions will be added to our website in the next few days.

Don't worry, though. We are having a new Cover Caption Contest for the newest Haymaker! (issue #45), so you could very will win that issue!

Just submit a caption for the cover of our latest issue any time before December. The winner (chosen by a group of contributors to that issue) will receive a copy of that issue, as well as bragging rights, your name on our website, and our undying gratitude. (What, you were expecting money? None of us are getting paid, either!)

You can get to the caption contest directly here, or by clicking on the Issues link from our main page, www.haymaker.org.

Page Load Error

Failed to Connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at livelyland.com:4080

Hmmm... I just had a coworker test it using Firefox and he had no problem going to the page and submitting a test caption.

I'm not conversant enough with Firefox to speculate what might be causing such an error. Could it be some kind of setting in Firefox? I'll see if I can find out, but if anyone here has an idea, please let us know.

If you still can't get in, send me an email at RayL@haymaker.org.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd mention that we've got another cover up for captioning, this time for Haymaker! High. If you submit one of the winning captions, you'll receive the PDF of this Teen Champions supplement: 200+ pages full of characters, school maps, teachers and students, a long-lost superbase and its missing owners, and other contributions from numerous regular and guest contributors.

This cover (attached below) is also by Edd Ghent (aka GoldenAge), and will be available for captioning until the end of January. At that time, we'll be putting up the cover to issue #46 (our Hidden Dangers issue), created by Bill Jackson, for another caption contest. So don't delay!

- - - - - - - -

The winning captions for issue #45 were selected through blind voting (as in, the people voting didn't know who contributed which caption -- no, we didn't blind the poor people!). The winners are Robert Dorf and Edd Ghent. Robert was sent his complimentary copy a few days ago, and I hope he's enjoying all the crunchy HERO goodness inside.

• 4 months later...

Looks like I messed up and forgot to cross-post the Cover Caption Contest pic for issue #46 here, though I did get it into the NGD thread. Ah, well, you can't win 'em all!

- - - - - -

The following is cross-posted from the NGD board:

The next cover up for captioning is from our End of the World issue. Artwork (below) is by Querysphix, a regular poster on these boards (including some great art, which prompted my contacting him). So in addition to posting a clever caption for the cover, why not also rep him? He deserves it!

As always, winners and runners-up will win a PDF copy of the issue whose cover is being captioned. Lots of fun Hero goodness inside, including a selection of End-the-World powers provided as filler pages by various contributors.

And to make it easy, you can enter a caption in the contest here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay -- a computer meltdown caused the issue to come out a few weeks late, and then we were delayed further getting the cover art on our website.

The winning entry for the cover of issue #47 (End of the World) is David Johnston: "Oh great, now the room's on fire and we still haven't found that map!"

The runner-up was Kit Lamb: "I knew we should of taken a right turn at Albuquerque!"

Congratulations to both of you.

- - - - - - - - -

The next cover up for captioning is from our Taste of the Orient issue. Artwork (below) is by GoldenAge, who already previewed the cover art on another thread. If you didn't rep him there, you can rep him here, because I'm sure you'll agree that it looks pretty awesome.

As always, winners and runners-up will win a PDF copy of the issue whose cover is being captioned. There's plenty of fun Hero stuff inside, including (but far from limited to) a hero group for Vietnam, a villain group originally from Hong Kong, some space-based martial arts, and an oriental pulp-era bad guy. So enter today for a chance to win the issue.

To make it easy, you can enter a caption in the contest here.

We've gotten some fun captions thus far. Got an extra chuckle out of one person's non-caption comment: "Dedicated to my fallen homie, MC Seeker." That's kickin' it old-school!

Thanks, all, and keep 'em coming!

Also, just a heads-up that Haymaker! is preparing for a Character Creation Contest, using pics from our website. Once we have two more pics up, we'll add a page dedicated to this contest (with the six pics, plus explanations of how to enter and what you can win). So keep your eyes open for a new thread, coming soon.

• 5 months later...

Once again, Real Life issues caused a delay in our website updates, but we're back with a new cover to caption!

But first, the winning entry for the cover of issue #48 (Taste of the Orient) was from Derek Baumann: "It all started when the Chinese takeout was delivered in 31 minutes and not the guaranteed 30."

The runner-up was Robert Dorf: "I don't think they liked what you said about their master, Ted."

And an honorable mention to Darren Sullivan, for "'We're the Sensei three, the kings of sting, you sucker MCs go blind from our bling.' His first rhyme cut deep. The rap battle was on!" (This was accompanied with the note: "Dedicated to my fallen homie, MC Seeker."

Congratulations to all of you, and I hope you enjoyed your complimentary issue of Haymaker!

- - - - - - - - -

The next cover up for captioning is from our Special Effects Extravaganza issue. Cover artist John Yardley was apparently channeling Jack Kirby when he created the picture below.

As always, winners and runners-up will win a PDF copy of the issue whose cover is being captioned. There's plenty of fun Hero stuff inside, including (but far from limited to) examples of teleportation from various comics, books, TV, and movies; an eco-terror group; a handful of alien races; and numerous 6th Edition character writeups . So enter today for a chance to win the issue.

To make it easy, you can enter a caption in the contest here.

• 1 month later...

Congratulations to David Johnson, who once again submitted the winning caption: "I knew we should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque!" (Hey, I'm a big Bugs Bunny fan -- so sue me!) I hope you enjoy your complimentary issue of our APAzine, David.

Also congratulations to our runner up, Bob Greenwade, for submitting "HIKE! Now go long!" Since Bob is not only a contributor, but a Haymaker! Hall of Famer (so he gets issues gratis), Bob has asked that I pass his complimentary issue to the next person in line. So additional congratulations to Dave S, who was having Crest commercial flashbacks with "Oh no, Galaxy Creeps!" "We make holes in space! We make holes in space!"

Thank you to all of you who submitted captions. Whether you won this time or not, please remember to submit captions for future contests for more chances to win.

- - - - - - - - - -

Speaking of which, the cover for our landmark issue #50 is up and ready for captioning! Cover artist Bill Jackson did a great job paying homage to all of our past cover art while adding his own unique touch with his picture (below).

Winners and runners-up win a PDF copy of the issue whose cover is being captioned. There's lots of crunchy HERO stuff inside: submissions from new contributors Enforcer84 and Oddhat; a Fantasy Hero city; rules for Advanced Dungeons and Monopoly (4th Edition); superhero and supervillain teams; retrospectives from contributors past and present; and much more! So enter today for a chance to win the issue.

To make it easy, you can enter a caption in the contest here. That page allows you to view a larger version of the picture, in case you want to see more detail than the thumbnail below provides.

• 1 month later...

Well, they say Better Late Than Never, so even though I should have posted this several weeks ago when the latest issue came out, here's the scoop on the caption contest for issue #50.

Congratulations to Darren Sullivan, who submitted the winning caption: "38 out of 40...Turns out I'm a 'considerate and heroic' lover." (You know that means I have to put one of those type of quizzes in a future issue as a filler page...) I hope you enjoy your complimentary issue of our APAzine, Darren.

We had such great captions submitted that we chose two runners-up: Chris Foster with "Retirement? No, just taking that extra phase." and Bill Beane (echoing my own thoughts) with "It just doesn't get any better than this..." I hope you both enjoy your issues as well!

Thank you to all of you who submitted captions. Whether you won this time or not, please continue to submit captions in future contests for more chances to win.

- - - - - - - - - -

Speaking of which, the cover for our latest issue (#51) is up and ready for captioning! As you can see below, cover artist Edd Ghent took the notation that "we'll take anything, even the kitchen sink" literally. Boy, I'll bet that's gonna leave a mark!

Winners and runners-up win a PDF copy of the issue whose cover is being captioned. There's plenty of fun Hero material inside: numerous supervillain groups (pirates and clowns and sportsmen, oh, my!), spacecraft, fantasy campaign notes, the Seven Noble Brothers (and their sister), and much more! So enter today for a chance to win the issue.

To make it easy, you can enter a caption in the contest here. That page allows you to view a larger version of the picture, in case you want to see more detail than the thumbnail below provides.