Haymaker! Cover Caption Contest

BoloOfEarth

Re: Haymaker! Cover Caption Contest

After a year-long hiatus due to those dreaded "Real Life" issues, we're back with the Haymaker! APA-zine Cover Caption Contest! I apologize for not having this up for issues #52-54, but sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches. So our website's cover art caption contest will re-start with issue #55. (If I can get off my keister, I may create seperate threads here, seperate from the website, to collect captions for issues #52-54 as well.)

Congratulations to Bob Greenwade, who submitted the winning caption: "I should *never* have let you talk me into going on 'Trading Spaces'! Just look at what Hildi did to my kitchen!" Since Bob is a regular contributor, he told me to give a complimentary issue to one of the other caption contributors, which I did.

Our runner-up was John Hazen, who supplied, ""Ummm... My face won't fit in that drain opening!" I hope you enjoy your issue as well!

Thank you to all of you who submitted captions. Remember, you can't win if you don't play, so please submit captions in future contests for more chances to win.

- - - - - - - - - -

On to the current contest! The cover for our latest issue (#55) is up and ready for captioning! Thanks to the artistic talents of Curtis Craddock, our old friend Foxbat graces the cover of our Wild West issue, and it's plain to see he's still up to no good. Here's your chance to put some words into Freddie's mouth, or make observations from passing cowboys or townfolk as they see the Wanted poster.

Winners and runners-up win a PDF copy of the issue whose cover is being captioned. This issue contains a few solo gunmen; some 1800s slang; a supervillain group along with an adventure visiting sites of interest from the Old West; Buck Rogers and the World of Armageddon 2419; and the zombies and heroes of Left 4 Dead Hero. So there’s plenty of fun stuff inside!

To make it easy, you can enter a caption in the contest here. That page allows you to view a larger version of the picture, in case you want to see more detail than the thumbnail below provides. Good luck, and may the best caption win!

Is there a link to the website?

The word "here" in my post above was a link direct to the caption contest page (www.haymaker.org/captioncontest.asp). [Edit: in the future, I'll try to make that link more obvious. Sorry.] If you're looking for the Haymaker! site's main page, it's just www.haymaker.org.

As coordinator, I would be remiss in not adding that anybody interested in submitting characters or other Hero Games material is welcome to join as a regular contributor. As long as you maintain the minimum activity level (4 pages every two issues, including feedback on other contributor's work), you'll receive each issue as it comes out, even if you didn't submit to that actual issue. If anyone is interested, there's a link to the Contributor Guidelines on our main page, and you can contact me at RayL@haymaker.org.

• 2 months later...

That's really sad. In three months, we've only gotten one (that's right, *one*) caption suggested for the cover of Haymaker! #55. And since we give a free issue to both a winner and a runner-up, that means that if only one more person submits a caption, he or she would be an automatic winner.

As to the backlog of past, uncaptioned issues (#52 through 54), I've selected winners and runners-up and will PM those individuals with instructions for downloading the issues they've won.

If you want to submit a caption to issue #55, you can do so at http://www.haymaker.org/captioncontest.asp. Don't delay, you only have one more day! After midnight tomorrow, I've got to put the winning captions into the next issue and get it finished up.

• 3 months later...

I fell a little behind in my job here, and am just now getting around to updating this thread with the winners from issue #55 and the cover for issue #56.

Congratulations to David Johnston, who submitted the winning caption: "...and yet strangely, not for copyright infringement!" I hope you enjoy your complimentary issue of our APAzine, David.

The runner-up was Thomas Inman with "I told you we shouldn't have let him near the Dimensional Transporter, but no, you just had to let him push that button..."

I hope you will both continue to submit captions, and that others here will also join in the contest.

- - - - - - - - - -

As I said, I fell down on the job here, so the next cover up for captioning is issue #56, our rock-n-roll issue. You can see that cover artist Edd Ghent did a great job of depicting the Grond family doing a little Stronghold Rock. I'm guessing they have the amps cranked up to 11, and that there's not much need for more cowbell.

Winners and runners-up win a PDF copy of the issue whose cover is being captioned. There's plenty of fun Hero material inside: Gronda and Kid Grond; a kazoo-carrying superhero; some Terracide characters; a copious number of characters from various songs; and more.

To make it easy, you can enter a caption in the contest at this link. That page allows you to view a larger version of the picture, in case you want to see more detail than the thumbnail below provides.