How do you put someone to sleep?

Utech

Re: How do you put someone to sleep?

I wouldn't use it because you wouldn't go to sleep, you'd just be paralyzed. You're fully aware when entangled, although your senses can be blocked off. You don't fall down or lie down relaxed. It really would not properly simulate sleep at all.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mind control provides (IMO) the best mechanism for putting someone to sleep, but transform provides the best mechanism for simulating the effect of sleep.

This build seems to cover most of the bases though:

The Lullaby Effect: Mind Control 8d6 (Human class of minds), Cumulative (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Set Effect (Go to sleep and stay asleep; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Anything that would normally wake a sleeper allows an additional breakout roll; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Mind control 'decays' at 6 points per hour; -1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

60 Active, 20 real

You sing a target to sleep (over several phases if you want to make it a deep sleep) and the level you need to acheive deopends on the circumstances. If there are loud noises or wake up attempts by colleagues than that allows additional breakout rolls. Even if you don't weake up naturally the MC decays at 6 points an hour, so you will never stay asleep more than 8 hours no matter how unlucky your breakout rolls.

I'm still ranking Mind Control and Transform highest.

Mental Illusions comes in next. My feeling (which may be wrong) is that this fools someone into thinking they are asleep as opposed to actually putting them to sleep.

Next up would be anything that relies on dropping the target's STUN to zero or below. I don't like the idea of equating putting someone to sleep with knocking them out.

I really dislike the Entangle route. Sleeping people often move. Sometimes they walk around...

We have created characters with sleep powers a few times in our games. We always use either Endurance Drain (can be resisted by power or mental defense defenders choice -1/4) or Mind control (sleep only and can be resisted by power or mental defense defenders choice -1/4). The endurance drain always made the most sense to use as that is what happens in real life, but it tended to have people wake up after only 12 or 24 seconds, while mind control tended to have them sleeping longer.

Here's how I built it for a villainess:

12d6 NND (LS: not needing to sleep, not having a mind, etc) with the severe limitation: Target instantly regains all Stun lost if the target is woken up.

Hitting a target via surprise makes that x2 Stun so it's not likely they'll 'wake up' by recovering.

Here's how I built it for a villainess:

12d6 NND (LS: not needing to sleep, not having a mind, etc) with the severe limitation: Target instantly regains all Stun lost if the target is woken up.

Hitting a target via surprise makes that x2 Stun so it's not likely they'll 'wake up' by recovering.

Nice if, you know, gross for AP purposes :)

Your wife administers sleep beatings too' date=' huh?[/quote']

HA! :lol: No, (un?)fortunately... I woke up in accute pain to find myself standing in a room, realising I had hit myself on something, because I was bleeding badly... It was kind of weird. I didn't realise that I necerally had to be walking before I woke before a couple of minutes mending my wound...

Anyway, another bit of my life shared to you on this Hero forum! ;)

HA! :lol: No, (un?)fortunately... I woke up in accute pain to find myself standing in a room, realising I had hit myself on something, because I was bleeding badly... It was kind of weird. I didn't realise that I necerally had to be walking before I woke before a couple of minutes mending my wound...

Anyway, another bit of my life shared to you on this Hero forum! ;)

Ouch. Spend some XP on lightsleep :)

Honestly I only read the OP and a couple posts down, so forgive me if this have been covered.

The way I look at it, it's a matter of Special Effect. For the most part, Mechanically Speaking 0 STUN and asleep are the same, so it comes down to ROLE PLAY situations.

Player:"I can't use my Telepathy since he's knocked out"

GM: "Technically he's just asleep, so your TP will work"

Use the mechanic of 0 STUN = Asleep and modify how things affect that (or effect that? never know with those) just like you would with any SFX.

For the most part' date=' Mechanically Speaking 0 STUN and asleep are the same[/quote']

Are they? Because someone is asleep are they automatically at 0 STUN? When your character's alarm clock goes off does he have to take a Recovery before he's able to switch it off?

I'm unconvinced.

Are they? Because someone is asleep are they automatically at 0 STUN? When your character's alarm clock goes off does he have to take a Recovery before he's able to switch it off?

I'm unconvinced.

The alarm clock is a forced recovery the same way as forcing a recovery by shaking someone. I think that's taking it a bit to the extreme, but it works.

I still think its an SFX thing, no it's not perfect, but I think it's close enough to call it good.

The alarm clock is a forced recovery the same way as forcing a recovery by shaking someone. I think that's taking it a bit to the extreme, but it works.

I still think its an SFX thing, no it's not perfect, but I think it's close enough to call it good.

And yawn [take REC] and stretch [take REC] and try to come alive [REC]!

I've always done a straight up sleep spell with Mind Control' date=' Single Command: Go To Sleep. Has the advantage that characters who are more tired (i.e. "inclined to do it anyway") are easier to put to sleep than those who are actively opposed. You can twiddle it in all kinds of ways from there; the most obvious, and the simplest way to replicate D&D's sleep spell, would be to make it Area Of Effect and Based On CON.[/quote']

Of course this means that people who REALLY don't want to sleep get a bonus, which means that PCs who know they're going up against sleep inducers will does themselves up with a LOT of coffee. Let's just hope they have the wisdom not to use stronger preventives, the last thing your campaign needs is methhead superheroes.

Maybe I really WANT to sleep but I'm jacked up on caffeine pills - how does that Mind Control work? Because I WANT to sleep, my willpower overcomes my physiology? Can I also mind control someone to:

- cease breathing (not just hold their breath)

- stop beating their heart?

- quit hiccupping?

- heal from a disease?

- become, or cease to be, sexually aroused?

- become, or cease to be, sexually impotent?

These are about as much under conscious control as sleeping.

The Mind Control route is, at best, no less kludgy than the KO route.

Maybe I really WANT to sleep but I'm jacked up on caffeine pills - how does that Mind Control work? Because I WANT to sleep' date=' my willpower overcomes my physiology?[/quote']

I'm not aware that Mind Control has anything to do with what the target wants to do. Sidebar examples make it clear that Mind Control can be used to make a target fall in love or run in fear.

I'm pretty sure that Mind Control causes changes in the target's mind. Wanting to change their mind has nothing to do with it.

• Breathing and beating their heart: Why not? A GM might prefer that you take a modified EB or RKA (or a mental Transform) for this sort of thing, though. Most body functions can be controlled by your mind -- whether you're conscious of it or not.
  • Quit hiccuping: I'm not sure if the hiccups are controlled by your mind or not. Can't answer your question.
  • Heal from a disease: To some extent. You could give the person a positive outlook. That helps. You could have the brain release endorphins.
  • Sexual arousal/impotence: To a large extent, of course! A great deal of arousal (or lack thereof) is all in your head. There would be some exceptions where the problem is not in your mind, but in the plumbing.

I'm not aware that Mind Control has anything to do with what the target wants to do. Sidebar examples make it clear that Mind Control can be used to make a target fall in love or run in fear.

I'm pretty sure that Mind Control causes changes in the target's mind. Wanting to change their mind has nothing to do with it.

Belief you are in love or fearful does not override your physiology. All of the following do:

• Breathing and beating their heart: Why not? A GM might prefer that you take a modified EB or RKA (or a mental Transform) for this sort of thing, though. Most body functions can be controlled by your mind -- whether you're conscious of it or not.
  • Quit hiccuping: I'm not sure if the hiccups are controlled by your mind or not. Can't answer your question.
  • Heal from a disease: To some extent. You could give the person a positive outlook. That helps. You could have the brain release endorphins.
  • Sexual arousal/impotence: To a large extent, of course! A great deal of arousal (or lack thereof) is all in your head. There would be some exceptions where the problem is not in your mind, but in the plumbing.

Mind control - not "brain control" or "physiology control" - is the effect of the power. If the character could not play piano, no amount of Mind Control will allow him to do so - only to believe he can do so.

Mind control - not "brain control" or "physiology control" - is the effect of the power.

Your mind is your brain.

If the character could not play piano' date=' no amount of Mind Control will allow him to do so - only to believe he can do so.[/quote']

That's true. It also has nothing to do with controlling your heart or breathing. Those things are controlled by your brain.