Fantasy Hero 101

CTaylor

OK I'll be starting my intro to Fantasy Hero game at the local game store (AKA FNGS) Borderlands. I was inspired by a memory some years back (nearly 30 now) of learning to play AD&D in a game store with this guy's prepared dungeon on a hot day. We built characters, ran around a bit, had some combat, and learned the basics of the game.

I was hooked.

I believe there are a lot of card and computer "RPG" players out there that would like to learn the real thing but don't get much of an opportunity, and I'd love to get more hero players so I am going to run once a week to get players in. I've whipped up a basic paper with the most fundamental stuff to making a character in my fantasy campaign, rewritten The Keep on the Borderlands for Fantasy Hero, and have all the materials I need (including miniatures and snazzy plastic sheet covered character sheets with equipment pages) for people to make characters.

My hope is to pull in a few people each week and teach them how to make a character and run through a bit of the adventure. As time goes on, if people come back, they can go a bit further each time. KOTB is a pretty basic adventure and has the advantage of a simple structure: monsters over there in compartmentalized sections and a base to return to. It is going to be somewhat familiar to players, but changed enough that even people who know it well will find it interesting. Plus, you know, D&D to FH makes major changes in what you can do and why.

I'll be reporting in regularly to tell what happened and how it went. I hope it goes well, I worked hard on this for two weeks to get ready, including a brand new GM screen.

Re: Fantasy Hero 101

Very cool, and definitely good luck! I've considered doing something like that from time to time but never had the guts, so I can't wait to hear how it goes. Please keep us posted with a detailed account of the experience.

OK I'll be starting my intro to Fantasy Hero game at the local game store (AKA FNGS) Borderlands. I was inspired by a memory some years back (nearly 30 now) of learning to play AD&D in a game store with this guy's prepared dungeon on a hot day. We built characters, ran around a bit, had some combat, and learned the basics of the game.

I was hooked.

I believe there are a lot of card and computer "RPG" players out there that would like to learn the real thing but don't get much of an opportunity, and I'd love to get more hero players so I am going to run once a week to get players in. I've whipped up a basic paper with the most fundamental stuff to making a character in my fantasy campaign, rewritten The Keep on the Borderlands for Fantasy Hero, and have all the materials I need (including miniatures and snazzy plastic sheet covered character sheets with equipment pages) for people to make characters.

My hope is to pull in a few people each week and teach them how to make a character and run through a bit of the adventure. As time goes on, if people come back, they can go a bit further each time. KOTB is a pretty basic adventure and has the advantage of a simple structure: monsters over there in compartmentalized sections and a base to return to. It is going to be somewhat familiar to players, but changed enough that even people who know it well will find it interesting. Plus, you know, D&D to FH makes major changes in what you can do and why.

I'll be reporting in regularly to tell what happened and how it went. I hope it goes well, I worked hard on this for two weeks to get ready, including a brand new GM screen.

Very cool idea. :king:

Keep an eye out for a tall guy with a shaved head' date=' that's me![/quote']

ohoh, and me...except I won't be there. So maybe it won't be me....or will it...?

I'll be reporting in regularly to tell what happened and how it went. I hope it goes well' date=' I worked hard on this for two weeks to get ready, including a brand new GM screen.[/quote']I, for one, will be looking forward to your updates and anecdotes. :thumbup:

First session went pretty well, there was one experienced player (Zeropoint, above, who is awfully big for a Navy man), one somewhat familiar to hero player, and one basically new player. Hopefully next time I can get more new players.

Most of the session was spent making characters, which is pretty typical for a first game although it took longer than I had hoped. We spent the typical amount of time talking and saying hello, getting food, and so on, but the character making process is a bit slower than I was hoping.

One of the "drawbacks" with Hero is that it's so open that people can end up staring at a blank character sheet like an author trying to figure out what to write, you have so many options it can be overwhelming, or at least intimidating. The packages I set up in the intro guide and my player's handbook seemed to be helpful though.

The actual gaming portion started out one of my favorite ways (but it takes a willing sort of group): naked as captives. They began in a store room with one goblin guard, the door closed and no lights, roped together. Because the goblins weren't aware that the Centaur could use magic (yes, you can play a Centaur, and Rat-man, and a Wolf-man, which is what the players chose; it's a menagerie which should be interesting when they get back to the keep).

We didn't get much play time in, but the party ended up naked and weaponless facing three armed goblins by the end due to a spectacular run of poor rolls to hit. I did have a weapon out for people to grab and use, but due to several people not knowing hero much and the group being new, they missed it ;) The rat guy is not a heavy combatant but he managed to untie the ropes on the sly with sleight of, er, feet (extra limbs: feet act as hands) and is scouting for the escape path at the moment.

The group worked pretty well together although they had to get used to the centaur's greater size even in a fairly large passage.

On a related note, I had a big full page color ad on the board, put news on Borderlands' website, put notes here, and had a little ad sign outside the game room, but I'd like to get some input and suggestions on how I can pull in more interest (at least, without spending any money). At the suggestion of one of the players I put an ad up on the local google gaming board today. I think I'll put something on Craig's List just because it's free and who knows?

On a related note' date=' I had a big full page color ad on the board, put news on Borderlands' website, put notes here, and had a little ad sign outside the game room, but I'd like to get some input and suggestions on how I can pull in more interest (at least, without spending any money). At the suggestion of one of the players I put an ad up on the local google gaming board today. I think I'll put something on Craig's List just because it's free and who knows?[/quote']

Make sure the people who work in the shop know what you're doing. A lot of folks come into a game shop who are looking for a game. If the owner tells them, "Hey, Wednesdays at 6:00 we've got a group here who loves newbies!" you'll probably get a few shows. :)

Make sure the people who work in the shop know what you're doing. A lot of folks come into a game shop who are looking for a game. If the owner tells them' date=' "Hey, Wednesdays at 6:00 we've got a group here who loves newbies!" you'll probably get a few shows. :)[/quote']

That's what I was going to suggest. I think the Craig's List thing is a good idea, too. What's this local Google game board? Is that like a Google Group or something?

The only other thing I might suggest is that if your local gaming store has a HeroClix or Warhammer minis gaming evening, you might want to show up there a little early and strike up a few conversations at they're getting started. In my anecdotal experience, there are a lot of peeps in that space who are RPGers who just aren't RPGing because their groups fell apart for various reasons (members moving away, getting new work schedules, whatever). You never know, might be able to find one or two decent players that way.

Yeah the clerk knows, I've only seen the one guy (hopefully they have more than just the manager and one clerk), but I'll talk to him a bit some time. The idea to talk to other games is a good one. I believe a lot of the card players would play a real RPG if they had a chance, but they don't know people and haven't tried, so it can be a bit intimidating.

Have you considered creating basic packages that can be quickly assembled to facilitate character creation. I realize you want to show off the versatility of the HERO system, but you are correct in the open ended = complex = time consuming. Perhaps having quickly chosen packages with some "wiggle room" for customization is a reasonable compromise.

Maybe advertise an hour long seminar before or after the game with a basic tutorial on character creation.

Again, all just suggestions. Sounds like the overall event was fun.

Most of the session was spent making characters, which is pretty typical for a first game although it took longer than I had hoped. We spent the typical amount of time talking and saying hello, getting food, and so on, but the character making process is a bit slower than I was hoping.

One of the "drawbacks" with Hero is that it's so open that people can end up staring at a blank character sheet like an author trying to figure out what to write, you have so many options it can be overwhelming, or at least intimidating. The packages I set up in the intro guide and my player's handbook seemed to be helpful though.

Have you considered creating basic packages that can be quickly assembled to facilitate character creation. I realize you want to show off the versatility of the HERO system, but you are correct in the open ended = complex = time consuming. Perhaps having quickly chosen packages with some "wiggle room" for customization is a reasonable compromise.

Maybe advertise an hour long seminar before or after the game with a basic tutorial on character creation.

Again, all just suggestions. Sounds like the overall event was fun.

Most "get to know the game" games tend to use prefabs. Maybe some basic templates (race/role) covering much of the character's points, plus some modularized add-on's to choose from would be a reasonable approach to getting a faster start. I don't think a lot of Newbies have a specific character in mind, which means time spent on "what could I be" as well as time in building the character decided on.

The character creation time for an ongoing game only happens once, but you're expecting people to drop in/out, which means incurring this time cost every time.

I agree with Mr Nelson, new players want to play character creation will quickly come later.

so no wast time play!

and in the spirt of helping here is a loaner character to help out.

Tha Bunny

Tha Bunny

Player: Loaner

Val Char Cost

11 STR 1

17 DEX 21

13 CON 6

11 BODY 2

18 INT 8

13 EGO 6

11 PRE 1

18 COM 4

5 PD 0

6 ED 0

3 SPD 3

5 REC 0

26 END 0

24 STUN 0

11" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

14 1/2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 52

Cost Power

3 Rabbit like body: Elemental Control, 10-point Powers, all slots: (5 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2)

3 1) Bunny leap: Leaping +10" (14 1/2" forward, 7" upward) (10 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2) (added to Primary Value)

3 2) Those Paws: Running +5" (10 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2) (added to Primary Value)

2 3) Those ears: Analyze Sense (Hearing Group) (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Costs END Every Phase; -1/2)

2 4) Those ears!: Telescopic +6 to PER Rolls (only to offset the Range Modifier) (Hearing Group) (9 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Costs END Every Phase; -1/2)

2 5) Those ears: Increased Arc Of Perception (360-Degree) (Hearing Group) (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Costs END Every Phase; -1/2)

Powers Cost: 15

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

4 Counterstrike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike, Must Follow Block

4 Martial Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; +10 STR to Disarm roll

5 Defensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, STR Strike

5 Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 Martial Flash: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Flash 4d6

Martial Arts Cost: 30

Cost Skill

3 Acrobatics 12-

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Concealment 13-

3 Seduction 11-

3 Persuasion 11-

2 Gambling 13-

1 High Society 8-

2 Forgery (Clothing, Documents) 8- [Notes: Must be able to fake fhose passes

3 Sleight Of Hand 12-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Streetwise 11-

3 Tactics 13-

4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Local area (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-

2 2) KS: finer things (cloths-wine-jewelery) (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-

2 3) KS: Noblity (like his lord or chain of command) (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-

Skills Cost: 45

Cost Perk

2 Custom Perk [Notes: Gardemens (power to arrest in porformance of his duty) monthly pay

Perks Cost: 2

Cost Talent

6 Combat Luck: 3 PD/3 ED

Talents Cost: 6

Total Character Cost: 150

Pts. Disadvantage

0 Normal Characteristic Maxima: No Age Restriction

10 Distinctive Features: He is a Gaint rabbit, Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses

15 Hunted: The City or kings Guard, More Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Watching, Extensive Non-Combat Influence, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find

10 Psychological Limitation: rabbit like attention span, Common, Moderate

15 Dependent NPC: The very large family he is part of , Normal, 8- (Infrequently), Group DNPC (x4 DNPCs), Useful noncombat position or skills

20 Psychological Limitation: Wants to have fun - party is were it is at , Very Common, Strong [Notes: women, wine, women, song, women, food, women, clothing, well you get the drift

5 Reputation: the Bunny - is a rake,rouge, gambler, wastral well you get the drift, Sometimes (8-)

Disadvantage Points: 75

Base Points: 75

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

what do you all think and hope he makes trouble.

Lord Ghee

Well, part of the fun in learning a game is making the character, but I do have 8 premade across a variety of different archetypes for people who come in later. I figure they can come in at the start next time and make up their own character if they want, but I really did want to give new players a shot at building their own guy. That's one of Hero's greatest strengths: you make who you want, given the campaign's limitations.

5 Reputation: the Bunny - is a rake' date='[u']rouge[/u], gambler, wastral well you get the drift, Sometimes (8-)

rouge (roomacr.gifzh)n.1. A red or pink cosmetic for coloring the cheeks or lips.

2. A reddish powder, chiefly ferric oxide, used to polish metals or glass.

I don't think that word means what you think it means. ;)

rouge (roomacr.gifzh)n.1. A red or pink cosmetic for coloring the cheeks or lips.

2. A reddish powder, chiefly ferric oxide, used to polish metals or glass.

I don't think that word means what you think it means. ;)

Beat me to it - repp'ed

Perhaps he might be searching for "rogue"...

To the character...what, no Targeting Hearing? And isn't Hearing already 360 degree?

Beat me to it - repp'ed

Perhaps he might be searching for "rogue"...

To the character...what, no Targeting Hearing? And isn't Hearing already 360 degree?

Of course, if he really did mean rouge, then at least the character comes equipped with his own powder-puff (fluffy-bunny-tail) to apply it with. :cool:

You try to help and get no respect.

Hum I had to shave points, targeting might be better hearing is 180 - degrees side to side with negative from the front and back, you buy 360 you get no negatives. But targeting is the better choice will change.

Any thing else

Lord Ghee

This week's session added two more players, one of whom has never played Hero games at all. He was running a Star Wars game in the same room, and when it broke up joined our game. I tossed him a premade character: a huge, heavy bruiser and he began to learn the system a little.

The game last night continued from our last point: the naked, unarmed adventurers chasing their former captor down a hall only to find two more goblins with bows just around a corner. In the end, the Ratman ambushed a distracted goblin with his own sword, fell in a pit, and found a few daggers. A druid joined the group from another part of the caves, and by the end the party managed to find almost all of their gear. Heading back, they found out that merely discovering the exact location of the Caves of Chaos was worth a reward from the keep, and a silk dress the Ratman tossed aside as worthless the druid took and discovered it was worth a reward as well from an adviser at the keep.

The new player was bombarded with three guys trying to explain the entire hero system in one sitting and I could see him getting overwhelmed. I was worried he was about to run out of the room screaming, but he seems to be a good-natured fellow and took it in stride. Next week I'll be there a little early like last time and hopefully I'll be able to talk to him alone. I'm not sure exactly how to handle this, gamers love to talk about their favorite system but it can be too much to have several people talking all at once about something new; imagine three people explaining football to you all at once without any prior knowledge of the game. All the rules, all the penalties, past plays, everything at the same time. I need to be able to handle this better, but I don't want to yell at anyone, particularly strangers.

Another concern I have is that players are just whipping up their own spells, which works fairly well but there are some basic rules of magic for my game setting and I want to make sure they all fit the system so it has a coherent, consistent feel. Plus, I'm really, really good at building spells after doing so for over a decade so I would rather be involved. Next session we'll have to spend some time just going over that a bit.

Other than that, it went well; the guy working at the store was even interested in the game, but he had to leave and I ended up signing away my soul so we could stay in the back area after hours. I'm pretty sure we got the place back in proper order and I followed the procedure, I guess I'll find out today. Next week: the team sets out on more adventure in the Borderlands.

Hey, if you have any of this material availabel to share...I think it would be a good idea to do so. There's lot of new players out there, and a lot of GMs spend a lot of time in their long-runnign games, but woudl love to be ablet o run a one-shot for some bnew players withotu having the preparation to worry about.

Anyway, if you have anything that you could share (besides the great summary of the events)...I would be interested.

The only thing I can think of to suggest is taking the experienced Hero gamers aside when you set up to play next time and say, "Look guys, it's awesome the way you're all trying to help bring the newb(s) up to speed and explain the system, but I feel like we're overwhelming 'em -- we're throwing out a lot of info and it's coming from three different directions at once. Please let me handle the system explanations, just to try to keep it more manageable. If you think of something you think would help that I'm missing, please just slide me a note or take me aside during our next break."

I've actually used this approach in the past with good results. Maybe it can work for you (obviously it depends on the personalities involved).

Thanks for the update, btw. Sounds fun, and you're doing a great job of brining new gamers into the fold. :)

Yeah, that's a good idea, I figured something like "hey not all at once, he looks terrified" but that would be a good approach.

I'll put the remade Keep on the Borderland for download on my site once I'm done with it, the other stuff is already there for people to use; get the Hero Sidekick if you want a really easy, non-intimidating "hero basics" book. I've already got people wanting to buy Hero materials, but the store has been slow to order any. Hopefully as they get more requests the stock will pick up again.