Mental Martial Arts Madness?

Alibear

Two things spring to mind, well sprung to mind when I was on the throne:

1. Just tack ranged martial arts onto ego blasts and away you go.

2. The other thought I had was only for mentalist v mentalist combat if you use the optional expanded rules. The block, dodge etc. If those rules are used and when in combat with another mentalist, could one be so skilled in this combat that he takes it to another level? In a similar way that a mental dodge gives you +3 decv a martial mental dodge would give you +5 decv.

Now, if you allowed this for a special villain or PC how would you cost it? The same as DYO martial arts? Or would you give a discount as it would have limited use unless v another mentalist?

I can see I'm gonna have to go back and have another look at the Ultimate Mentalist.

Al

Re: Mental Martial Arts Madness?

Two things that occur to me:

Unless mental attacks are common, anyone with mental MA is likely to go for OCV rich maneouvres, as they are unlikely to care about being attacked back. If you do allow mental MA then consider applying any penalties to DCV as well as EDCV.

Secondly, mental attack is twice as expensive as EB so you might want to halve the damage bonuses.

I daresay that if you tell mentalists that non-mentalists can buy mental martial arts with maneouvres like mental dodge (+5 to ECV) and mental escape (+3 to breakout attempts) they will be a lot less keen to have them included in the game. There is no reason you should not develop the ability to avoid mental attacks even if you cannot launch them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I wouldn't use it myself, I like the MA rules as is, but I like to see the building blocks in action. Good work, Markdoc.

OT - Why don't you have any rep power, Courtfool? Have you been a naughty boy? :)

Dude give him some rep! I'm sure he'll be happy....?