WW2 metahuman emergence.

Ragdoll

I've been toying with the idea of running a campaign where metahumans first emerge durring WW2. I'm looking for it to be 'low' powered. More like wild talents, then planet crackers.

I was going to have it military themed, using golden age champions with their military packages, etc. What's the most 'realiable' starting point cost for emergence metahumans. I was thinking 50 + 50 for 100. IS that two little? Would 75 + 75 be better?

Any help is appreciated, thanks. =)

PS: I'm going more for 'gritty' realism rather that over the top four color. =)

Re: WW2 metahuman emergence.

Dark Champions gives several skill packages for military personnel (as well as spies, cops, and what-not). Granted, they are based on modern military training so they might be a bit of overkill for WWII soldiers.

But 50+50 might be a bit low for metahuman soldiers; 75+75 would be better (in my opinion).

What you could do is have them start the game at 50+50 normals (which makes them a pretty elite group), and then get a little too close to a experemental nuclear project...:D Then give them their last 50 points and tell them to come up with 25 more points in Disads.

you could start by making them as PULP HERO characters then use oddly enough NINJA HERO stats that way you can use the chi powers[but dont call it that]to give them low level powers leaping[ as in crouching tiger hidden dragon for instance] and go back to PH for wird science to make the apropriate level of gagets ans super serums to give the powers

I've been toying with the idea of running a campaign where metahumans first emerge durring WW2. I'm looking for it to be 'low' powered. More like wild talents, then planet crackers.

I was going to have it military themed, using golden age champions with their military packages, etc. What's the most 'realiable' starting point cost for emergence metahumans. I was thinking 50 + 50 for 100. IS that two little? Would 75 + 75 be better?

I would say 75/75, and emphasise to players the "one trick pony" aspect of their powers. Think Original X-Men or the Mystery Men movie. Mr. Furious, super strength (30-40?) requires an EGO roll to activate. Shoveler and Blue Raja, lots of levels but only with very specific weapons. Invisible Kid, well that turned out to be full fleged desolidification, but if he had had just invisibility. Marvel Girl, TK, 15 STR or so. Angel, flight. Cyclops, energy blast without a focus. Beast, strenght and agility (brains added later when Hank's original personality turned out to be too Ben Grimm like).

Players should rely to training most, with powers as backup.

Either way is fine; some folks have a hard time coming up with 100 points of disads, others have a hard time coming up with fewer than 150.

What's more interesting to me is why people suddenly started showing up with powers. Was it some experiment by the Nazis that went awry? Is it some astrological convergence? Did an alien ship explode in orbit and shower canisters of Energy X on the planet (I love that origin)? Where did they all come from, and why then?

McCoy's post is pretty on the money here, I think.

If I was going for vulnerable Supers (as in the WWII Supers game Godlike), I'd probably go 75+75 and then set lowish limits on rPD. That way you could get a WWII era Marine with a minor power, a regular soldier with a noteworthy power, and the odd untrained French Resistance fighter with a pretty impressive power or two.

I was going to do the following.

Start the players out as soldiers, so somewhere below 50+50. And then tack on the added points to allow them to come up to 75+75. =)

The cause of the event I was going to tie into the Tunguska Blast and Nicholai Tesla. But the effects won't be felt for decades, or at beginning of WW2.

I was going to do the following.

Start the players out as soldiers, so somewhere below 50+50. And then tack on the added points to allow them to come up to 75+75. =)

The cause of the event I was going to tie into the Tunguska Blast and Nicholai Tesla. But the effects won't be felt for decades, or at beginning of WW2.

I.e. the children of those that were alive at the time of the blast, and given time to grow up.

Interesting. Which brings up the question of what REALLY caused the Tunguska Blast. And would Russia and China have more and more powerful supers since they were closer to the blast? And what is Tesla's role in this? That could change "distribution" a lot since he worked in the US.

Gemphyre

• 4 months later...

has anyone tried laying wild talents?:confused:

Dark Champions gives several skill packages for military personnel (as well as spies' date=' cops, and what-not). Granted, they are based on [i']modern[/i] military training so they might be a bit of overkill for WWII soldiers.

But 50+50 might be a bit low for metahuman soldiers; 75+75 would be better (in my opinion).

What you could do is have them start the game at 50+50 normals (which makes them a pretty elite group), and then get a little too close to a experemental nuclear project...:D Then give them their last 50 points and tell them to come up with 25 more points in Disads.

Nuclear or Nazi germ warfare/beam weapon research. Ju-390 with the experiment weapon crash lands near PCs.

I.e. the children of those that were alive at the time of the blast, and given time to grow up.

Interesting. Which brings up the question of what REALLY caused the Tunguska Blast. And would Russia and China have more and more powerful supers since they were closer to the blast? And what is Tesla's role in this? That could change "distribution" a lot since he worked in the US.

Gemphyre

They were closer to the destination end, the US was closer to the origin end, i.e. Tesla's lab.