"Superpowers" novel

DusterBoy

A book I'm reading right now is "Superpowers" by David J Schwartz. It's the story of five college students who acquire a superpower each after a house party during a fierce storm and some whack homemade beer.

It is not a conventional superhero story by any means. Yes, they wear lycra costumes, but there are no big battles, no supervillains, no melodramatic speeches. It's more a character study than anything else, very street-level and relentlessly unglamorous.

It's not a happy story either, but I would recommend it as a non-genre alternative to the comics.

Re: "Superpowers" novel

Another good supers novel is

The Amazing Adventures of the Sensational Squirrel-Man.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Adventures-Sensational-Squirrelman/dp/0977100553/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223239255&sr=8-1

Squirrel-Man is an obvious homage to Spider-Man, but the book is a real page turner and the writing is excellent.

The novel captures the "City of Heroes" feel that makes the video game so popular.

• 10 months later...

Devil's Cape was quite good. On the other hand, I very sincerely DON'T recommend Captain Freedom by Gabriel X. Robillard. Mr. Robillard is a web humorist who writes for McSweeney's and Comedy Central. Captain Freedom, subtitled "A Superhero's Quest For Truth, Justice, And The Celebrity He So Richly Deserves" is his first novel.

Despite a glowing cover blurb by Christopher Moore, this is not a very good novel. Nor is it a very good work of humor or satire. The plot, such as it is (the memoir of a superhero forced into retirement by his corporate comic book masters) is weak. The main character is an unlikeable d-bag, which I suppose is actually the point of the book, but it makes large swaths of it a very painful read. The best bits are those which are more or less pure throwaway, like a reference to Washington DC's Beltway being an actual magical zone that prevents the truth from passing through it. Or Clandestine, a tiny country nestled between Syria and Jordan, where wealthy people with a need to lay low tend to dwell. But most of it is the sort of superficial cheap shots that pass for satire in the "Mad TV" stripe, rather than something more cutting, like "South Park" or the "Daily Show."

In fact, the whole thing reads a bit like an SNL skit that got pitched with one sentence and runs five minutes after it stopped being funny.

On the other hand' date=' I very sincerely DON'T recommend [i']Captain Freedom[/i] by Gabriel X. Robillard. Mr. Robillard is a web humorist who writes for McSweeney's and Comedy Central. Captain Freedom, subtitled "A Superhero's Quest For Truth, Justice, And The Celebrity He So Richly Deserves" is his first novel.

Bummer. Wish Robillard had chosen a different name. I like the Captain Freedom from Hill Street Blues. A likeable, ernest, fairly crazy guy. Loved his interactions with Belker. And the Captain died a hero, taking the heat off a bunch of cops in a gunfight.