[Mythos Supers]

Ragdoll

Re: [Mythos Supers]

Nitpicking' date=' but Innsmouth was supposed to in the United States.[/quote']

Nitpicking your nitpick - the first use of Innsmouth by Lovecraft actually referred to a town in the UK (in the story Celephaïs). The first Innsmouth was in Cornwall, IIRC and the main character (Kuranes) turns up again in The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath.

Of course, Innsmouth in Massachusetts is more famous :D. That said, if I was running this setting (and I'd love to) I'd be more be inclined to use Kraighten (from the Hodgson's House on the Borderland) and the fictional towns around Cærleon (from Arthur Machen's Hill of Dreams and The White People) for the UK locations.

cheers, Mark

That said' date=' if I was running this setting (and I'd love to) I'd be more be inclined to use Kraighten (from the Hodgson's House on the Borderland) and the fictional towns around Cærleon (from Arthur Machen's Hill of Dreams and The White People) for the UK locations.[/quote']

Or Ramsey Campbell's Goatswood and the rest of the Severn Valley.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a Lovecraft-based supers character I made awhile ago. The premise is that he is the part-ghoul great-grandson of Charles Pickman of Pickman's Model. I never worked out all his Disads.

Randolph Pickman

Cost CHA Val

---------------------------------------------

15 STR 25 STR Roll: 14-, Lift: 800 kg; 5d6 Strike

39 DEX 23 DEX Roll: 14-; OCV 8/DCV 8

30 CON 25 CON Roll: 14-

2 BODY 11 INT Roll: 13-

8 INT 18 PER Roll: 15-

2 EGO 11 EGO Roll: 11-

8 PRE 18 PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6

-1 COM 8

5 PD 10/17 (2/9 rPD)

5 ED 10/17 (2/9 rED)

17 SPD 5 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

0 REC 10

-5 END 40

0 STUN 37

------------------------------------------------

Cost Powers

----------------------------------

12 The Ghoulish Arts: Multipower, 70-Point Powers,

All Slots Gestures (Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1/2), Incantations

(Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1), Extra Time (One Hour; -2),

Focus (OIF; Blood of Opportunity; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2) END: 14

u1 Summon 8 150-Point Ghouls, Amicable (Loyal; +1/2) (60 Active Points), Gestures (Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1/2), Incantations

(Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1), Extra Time (One Hour; -2), Focus (OIF; Blood of Opportunity; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2), Only on the Ground (-1/4) (10 Real Cost) END: 14

u1 Summon 1 250-Point Shantak-Bird, Amicable (Friendly; +1/4) (62 Active Points), Gestures (Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1/2), Incantations (Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1), Extra Time (One Hour; -2), Focus (OIF; Blood of Opportunity; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2), Only on the Ground (-1/4) (10 Real Cost) END: 14

u1 Summon 1 350-Point Gug (70 Active Points), Gestures (Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1/2), Incantations (Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1/2),Concentration (0 DCV; Throughout Use of Constant

Power; -1), Extra Time (One Hour; -2), Focus (OIF; Blood of Opportunity; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2), Only on the Ground (-1/4), Hostile (-1/2) (10 Real Cost) END: 14

u1 Open Ghoul Tunnel: Extra-Dimensional Travel (To Corresponding Location in the Dreamlands), Area Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Continuous (+1) (50Active Points), Gestures (Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1/2), Incantations (Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1), Extra Time (1 Hour; -3), Focus (OIF; Blood of Opportunity; -1/2), Only on the Ground (-1/4), Gate (-1/2) (7 Real Cost) END: 14

u1 Blood Scrying: Clairsentience for Sight and Hearing Sense Groups, One Other Dimension (The Dreamlands), 128x Range (25600") (70 Active

Points), Gestures (Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1/2), Incantations

(Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; Throughout Use of Constant Power; -1), Extra Time (One Hour; -2), Focus (OIF; Blood of Opportunity; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2), Vague and Unclear (-1/2) (11 Real Cost) END: 14

15 Ghoul Toughness: 25% Resistant PD Damage Reduction (15 Active Points)

6 Ghoulish Recovery: 1d6 Healing, Persistant (+1/2), 0 END Cost (+1/2), Can Heal Limbs (30 Active Points), Self Only (-1/2), Extra Time (6 Hours; -3 1/2), Not from Damage Caused by Fire (-1/2)

5 Nightvision

3 Ultrasonic Perception for Hearing Sense Group

5 Tracking for Smell Sense Group

6 +2 to PER Rolls with All Sense Groups

2 2 PD 2 ED Damage Resistance

2 Loping Gait: +1" Running

-1 Hydrophobe: -1" Swimming

17 Amulets of Warding: 7 PD 7 ED Armor (21 Active Points), IIF (-1/4)

7 Hexed Iron Cane: 3d6 HTH Attack, Affects Desolid (Magic; +1/4) (19 Active Points), OAF (-1), HTH Attack (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) END: 1

2 Nigh-Unparalleled Library: +3 with Intellect Skills (15 Active Points), OAF Immobile (-2), Extra Time (At Least 1 Hour; -3), Only for Subjects That Can Be Researched in the Humanities or Black Arts (-1 1/2)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cost Talents

-------------------------------------

1 Bump of Direction (3 Active Points), Only Underground (-1)

-----------------

Cost Perks

---------------------------------------

5 Money: Well-Off

2 Reputation: Friend of Ghouls: 11-, 2d6/+2, Small-Sized Group (Ghouls)

1 Reputation: Painter of Macabre Subjects: 11-, 1d6/+1, Small-Sized Group (Art Connoiseurs)

2 Contact: Eliphas Watkins, Art Dealer; 8-, Good Relationship

12 Contact: Ghouls of Boston; 8-, Contact Has Useful

Skills or Resources, Good Relationship with Contact, Organization Contact

-----------------------------------------

Cane Fencing

----------------------------------------------------

3 Cut/Backhand +2 OCV +1 DCV; 8d6 Strike

4 Froissement/Slap Away -1 OCV +1 DCV; 35 STR to Disarm

4 Parry/Block +2 OCV +2 DCV; Block, Abort

4 Riposte/Counterpunch +2 OCV +2 DCV; 10d6 Strike; Must Follow Block

5 Slash/Roundhouse -2 OCV +1 DCV; 12d6 Strike

3 Trip +2 OCV -1 DCV; 9d6 Strike, Target Falls

4 Void --- +5 DCV; Affects all Attacks, Abort

1 WE: Use Art with Fists

------------------------------------------------------

Cost Skills

-------------------

9 +3 with Cane Fencing

3 Breakfall 14-

2 Animal Handler (Ghoulkin) 13-

3 Climbing 14-

2 Cryptography 11-

3 Scholar

2 KS: The Occult 13-

2 KS: Ghouls and Ghoul Cults 13-

2 KS: Thanatology 13-

1 KS: Art History 11-

1 KS: Ancient and Medieval History 11-

1 KS: The Art World 11-

1 KS: New England History 11-

1 KS: Antiquities 11-

2 KS: Rare Books 13-

3 CuK: Ghoul Society 13-

2 AK: The Ghoul Tunnels Under Boston 11-

2 AK: Boston 11-

2 AK: The Ghoullands 11-

3 PS: Painter 12-

3 Persuasion 13-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Linguist

3 Ghoul: Fluent, Native Accent

1 French

1 German

1 Latin

1 Greek

1 Hebrew

1 Arabic

1 Ancient Egyptian

3 Forensic Medicine 13-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Concealment 13-

3 Shadowing 13-

2 WF: Common Melee Weapons

1 TF: Shantak-Birds

2 Riding 11-

3 Lockpicking 14-

2 Security Systems 11-

------------------------------------------

Points Disadvantages

---------------------------------------------------

5 Distinctive Features: Disturbing Walk and Physical Features (Easily Concealed, Noticed and Recognizable, Commonly Used Senses)

10 Physiological Limitation: Carnivore (Frequently, Slightly)

10 Physiological Limitation: Nocturnal (Frequently, Slightly)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Ghouls (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Avidly Collects Rare Books and Antiquities (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Reluctant to Kill (Common, Strong)

10 Rivalry: With Other Artists (Professional Rival, More Powerful, Seeks to Outdo, Rival Aware of Rivalry)

15 Social Limitation (Secret Identity)

• 3 months later...

Here's a Lovecraft-based supers character I made awhile ago. The premise is that he is the part-ghoul great-grandson of Charles Pickman of Pickman's Model. I never worked out all his Disads.

Randolph Pickman

Cost CHA Val

- snip -

Points Disadvantages

---------------------------------------------------

5 Distinctive Features: Disturbing Walk and Physical Features (Easily Concealed, Noticed and Recognizable, Commonly Used Senses)

10 Physiological Limitation: Carnivore (Frequently, Slightly)

10 Physiological Limitation: Nocturnal (Frequently, Slightly)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Ghouls (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Avidly Collects Rare Books and Antiquities (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Reluctant to Kill (Common, Strong)

10 Rivalry: With Other Artists (Professional Rival, More Powerful, Seeks to Outdo, Rival Aware of Rivalry)

15 Social Limitation (Secret Identity)

He could be code named : Dr HOUSE.

like, House of Whately.

• 3 months later...

*tries to cast raise dead ... summons a Shoggoth .... goes mad!* :ugly:

Ahem.. okay. Anyway, I thought this thread could do so more good in the community. :D

More to the point, I'm becoming genuinely interested in this idea as a 'setting'. Like a fully developed setting, perhaps a weird alternate universe of the Champion's normal universe.

I'm wondering how or 'if' such a setting could be playable, if not in a purely four color way then in perhaps a Iron Age, or Gritty Favored way? Super'heroes' fighting against their very natures to continue to do good all the while battling those that have fallen under the sway of the old ones?

But I don't know. Could HERO handle such a setting? I've found it to be one way or the other. For instance, I think this kind of setting almost cries out for some kind of morality system or madness meter kind of mechanic. I know that I think it was 4e Champions had a book with alternate worlds, one of them being a lovecraftian type world with some monsters that had transforms that slowly added psych limits to a character the more they were exposed to them.

What about Horror Hero? Does it have any discussion about madness or how to incorporate some kind of fright/madness system? If so it might be worth it for me to pick it up. I have the old 4e Horror Hero, but not the 5th Ed.

Any thoughts on this? Ideas, information to be added? I think this might make an interesting setting to develop if it's done right. I certainly like the initial riffs from the original thread over on RPG net. But some of the included things that happen I think might be 'difficult' to simulate with HERO, such as the slow madness in some cases or the struggle against it. Even the area where two paranormals fight can become 'altered' in subtle ways.. odd angles, and all that lovecraft stuff.

Anyway just tossing this out there to see if I get any nibbles of interest. =)

Hey! What a bang on idea.. we can start with the canon heroes the champions, combine each with some lovecraftion (sp?) horror. I'd never event though of that, that's a fantastic idea! :D

Who wants to do Defender first? :sneaky:

Now we know where Doc Destroyer really gets his power from. :D And aren't the official CU's Kings of Edom a homage to Lovecraft's Elder Gods anyway? So this may not be as far-fetched as it seems. . . :eek::angst:

It certainly is possible, but the biggest problem lies in the opposite worldviews the Mythos and superheroes represent. Horror in general doesn't quite work with superheroes, and mythos is worse - the point of that kind of horror is just how insignificant and futile mans' efforts are, so that even your superpowers mean nothing in the face of Cthulu.

Having said that, you can certainly compromise and make a workable setting (remember, kids, HERO can do anything!). You just have to play with the scales of things and strike a balance. The PCs won't be facing down Great Old Ones or anything of the like in person - it's kinda their purpose for existing, to be the unimaginably powerful bogeymen of the setting. On the other hand, they should never actually show up on earth, unless the heroes do everything wrong. Things lesser than a GOO, however, the PCs can beat up or otherwise deal with.

As to SAN loss and whatnot, you have three options - the PCs are immune to it, which is why they're fighting it; you add a mechanic for it to the system because everyone is affected by it; you have the mechanic, but you also allow people to buy a defense against it, so that some people are resistant to it, but not everyone is.

Mostly, it's just an issue of deciding on the exact flavors you want.

It certainly is possible, but the biggest problem lies in the opposite worldviews the Mythos and superheroes represent. Horror in general doesn't quite work with superheroes, and mythos is worse - the point of that kind of horror is just how insignificant and futile mans' efforts are, so that even your superpowers mean nothing in the face of Cthulu.

Having said that, you can certainly compromise and make a workable setting (remember, kids, HERO can do anything!). You just have to play with the scales of things and strike a balance. The PCs won't be facing down Great Old Ones or anything of the like in person - it's kinda their purpose for existing, to be the unimaginably powerful bogeymen of the setting. On the other hand, they should never actually show up on earth, unless the heroes do everything wrong. Things lesser than a GOO, however, the PCs can beat up or otherwise deal with.

As to SAN loss and whatnot, you have three options - the PCs are immune to it, which is why they're fighting it; you add a mechanic for it to the system because everyone is affected by it; you have the mechanic, but you also allow people to buy a defense against it, so that some people are resistant to it, but not everyone is.

Mostly, it's just an issue of deciding on the exact flavors you want.

Well, I've been doing some thinking. I rather like the idea of the original setting of the Mythos Supers from the RPGNet thread. It's a good read if you haven't already, though, some of it gets 'extremely' dark near the middle of the thread. For what I'm talking about, check out the entries about American Eagle and his encounters with a farm boy and his family. God, the story still makes me queasy. But it's a good thing, it's got a real 'scent' of horror to it.

As to the whole Cuthulu/Supers things. The idea wasn't for them to 'encounter' Mythos critters, but more ... how do I explain it. The original setting is that 'every' superbeing in the world since the 1960's has come across their powers by encountering C-tech or C-therepy of some kind, whether is be deliberate or accidental. I was thinking of smashing that hook into the exisiting champion's world and running with it.

Buy the 80's most of the world has caught on, that the guys that are out there with all these marvelous powers are all coming from the same place, and it puts a rather bleak lens over the world. It's what I feel is a very neat take on a standard super hero type of game.

The idea is that the powers are both blessings and curses. Metahuman abilities are like playing with fire. Sooner or later you get burned no matter your ultimate intention. It's like a wierd CoC game meets Champions.

As to the whole SAN issue, it's one this that bothers me about HERO. Their isn't a way to do it elegantly to my knowledge, other then just 'making one up from scratch'. I know the Wild Talents/ORE system can do it with the madness meters from Nemesis and of course the old Aberrant book from White Wolf had a idea about 'taint' for novas that just would fit perfectly.

But as you know, I've got a much stronger interest in champions. =) The Anophelese (sp?) world in the Champions 4e source book had a mechanic.. but again, it was just a psych transform that... when you got down to it, was really clunky and ham handed. >.<

So I'm still looking for further input on this idea, if anyone has any further insights or ideas. =)

Isn't there an "officially" suggested SAN stat that was partly based on EGO or something? I would swear I've heard of such somewhere on the boards...

EDIT: Found some stuff. Here's a whole thread on the SANity topic:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70182&highlight=SANity

And here's Ghost-Angel's review of Adventures Into Darkness which is a Super/Lovecraftian mash-up, which appearently includes SAN rules written by Mr. Long himself:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71817&highlight=SANity

Thanks, Wolf, I'll give those a look see. In the meantime, here's something to chill the blood.

Heck maybe it's just me, but this is some pretty 'horrific' stuff right here. :o

http://forum.rpg.net/showpost.php?p=9892925&postcount=186

http://forum.rpg.net/showpost.php?p=9893379&postcount=188

http://forum.rpg.net/showpost.php?p=9896700&postcount=195

http://forum.rpg.net/showpost.php?p=9897130&postcount=199