What a wicked little axe we have here...

SuperJerry

One of my players who has a significant number of his points invested in an axe (it's so cheesy he should name it Cheddar). He's also taken a 25 point mystery disadvantage that I effectively have carte blanche with and I just had an idea....

His axe has a Limitation on it "Require Ego of 25 or higher to use" and the special effect is that it's semi-intelligent and the user has a split second battle of wills with it when they pick it up. So....

My idea is to have the axe's full sentience awaken.....with an evil personallity :eg:

How could I do this as a disadvantage though?

Re: What a wicked little axe we have here...

Evil is fun.

Comedy, though, comedy is just plain nasty.

An weapon with a sense of humor .. Foxbat's sense of humor, for example .. can be a far bigger pain in the axe than one that is merely bloodthirsty.

Just my two cents.

And thus it was.....Lithp, the Gay Blade was born!

"What'th that Daddy? Why didn't I talk before? Well, you thee thothe were my thormative years. And let me jutht thay, I have so luft the way your BIG...STRONG....handth haff gripped my shaft. Oh, and the carething and the throking..." The axes quivers...

Later in battle: "That'th it Daddy! Wield my mighty shaft!"

**Cackles with ecstatic glee!**:eg:

And thus it was.....Lithp' date=' the Gay Blade was born![/quote']

I love it. A mondo weapon that the wielder may be just too EMBARRASSED to carry in public.

You may want to consider a special freebie for the Player. That way, if he complains about his weapon's .... ah ... tendencies, you can then point out how generous you have been as the GM.

So, give the axe a few additional (FREE) Knowledge-based skills. DON'T tell the Player what they are, no matter how much he pleads and begs, just that they are useful skills that his Character doesn't have. It is pushing the stereotype to the max; but I am thinking of skill subjects like Etiquette, Art Appreciation, etc.. Not exactly first choice skills for a macho warrior-type, but incredibly useful in certain circumstances (eg. the PC must attend a very swanky party; and needs to know how to dress, behave and generally blend in).

"Queer Axe For The Straight Guy?"

(Sorry, had to say it)

One of my players who has a significant number of his points invested in an axe (it's so cheesy he should name it Cheddar). He's also taken a 25 point mystery disadvantage that I effectively have carte blanche with and I just had an idea....

His axe has a Limitation on it "Require Ego of 25 or higher to use" and the special effect is that it's semi-intelligent and the user has a split second battle of wills with it when they pick it up. So....

My idea is to have the axe's full sentience awaken.....with an evil personallity :eg:

How could I do this as a disadvantage though?

requires x stat or higher to use is a -0 limitation. Make it an ego roll and take requires skill roll for a battle of wills.

The queer axe, while comic, sounds like it will get really annoying, really quickly. Also, what is the history of the axe? Depending on its origin, you can have it demand participation in a certain religion, culture, or ritual ("You need to eat the fallen's heart to gain their courage. Their delisious courage." "Don't forget to sacrifice a goat to the gods for our victory." "Have you done you daily, hour-long prayers to the gods."). Maybe the blade comes from a war with a particular race or religion (anti-semetic or French-hating blades might be interesting).

Taking an alternative approach, since the player took a limitation for the Axe requiring a 25+ ego to wield, how about a Susceptibility which Drains the user's Ego when using certain functions of the axe. Alternatively, a Susceptibility which is a Transform that awakens the axe's full sentience. Or combine both and have two susceptibilities. And/or a Hunted by those wishing to either steal or destroy the Axe, depending on your preference.

Or, maybe, talk to the player about your dissatisfaction with his cheesy axe build instead of taking a passive-aggressive approach to punish him for it. Maybe point him to this thread and ask if he'd like to reconsider his approach...

EDIT: Just realized this is the Champs board. Perhaps a Watched by those concerned about the typical use of an axe on living beings. Maybe a Transform susceptibility that gradually adds disadvantages related to the character's lethal weapon. Watched, Reputation, Hunted, etc.

The queer axe' date=' while comic, sounds like it will get really annoying, really quickly. Also, what is the history of the axe? Depending on its origin, you can have it demand participation in a certain religion, culture, or ritual ("You need to eat the fallen's heart to gain their courage. Their delisious courage." "Don't forget to sacrifice a goat to the gods for our victory." "Have you done you daily, hour-long prayers to the gods."). Maybe the blade comes from a war with a particular race or religion (anti-semetic or French-hating blades might be interesting).[/quote']

So a queer axe is likely to get annoying fast, but an anti-semitic or anti-French blade won't?

So a queer axe is likely to get annoying fast' date=' but an anti-semitic or anti-French blade won't?[/quote']

Now that I think about it, the point was to make it annoying. The only thing that makes this any better is that there is a good reason for the annoying behavior. I don't know any ancient civilization that would likely make the "gay blade," but I can think of plenty that might have a religious or racial alignment. The Nazi blade that yells anti-semetic insults would be an interesting limitation.

As for limitations: an enraged, berzerk, or accidental transform (axe's personality) would work well for a sentient, will-controlling axe (please no gay blade mind control). A social limitation would work if the axe just shouted obsenities. A dependency, psychological limitation, or physical limitation could also fit if the axe rebelled against offenses to its values (if you don't praise x-diety, you get electrocuted, the gay-blade doesn't want to hit the muscular guy in tights, etc.). Just about anything can fit. All you have to do is specify the exact in-game effect.

I suggest building the item as an AI follower/focus.

Like Susano did here.

Great idea there. Hmm, I may use this and dust off the old write-up for my character Battleaxe (Amazonian Weaponsmaster with a magic axe) and use this as an idea with it -- I always did want the axe to 'awaken' at some point.

Rep to both you and Susano when I can!

comedy is just plain nasty.

Expanding on Comic's brilliant idea (and some of the other opinions noted), a talking axe could be a big detriment, vastly amusing, yet make perfect sense.

If I were doing it, I would consider putting a knight of the crusades in the axe. The axe considers his weilder to be an equal ... but frequently in need of guidance ... which it is happy to provide in a booming voice ... without regard to the audience.

The axe considers most people to be commoners. If a reporter is interviewing the hero and asks a question that could be considered rude or prying, the axe loudly announces, "You shouldn't accept that sort of impudence from commoners. Would you like me to chop off his head?" That sort of scene is bound to play well in the news.

The axe believes women are inferior to men. Women should be protected ... if they're of high station. Women who dress in revealing clothes are "harlots." And the hero needs to think about his reputation. "You shouldn't be seen conversing with this harlot. Associating with loose women could stain both our reputations."

The axe prefers to face enemies in honorable combat, and likes to openly challenge tough opponents to face it that way. Certain enemies, like Firewing, would be happy to oblige. It thinks skulking around and ambushes are for cowards, and complains loudly if it's asked to participate in such actions.

And just imagine the lack of restraint that the axe has around heretics, infidels and pagans....

Thanks for the great ideas! I've decided that the axe will actually have multiple personalities. There will be:

Lithp, the Gay Blade

Saia, the Wonder Blade (personallity of a spoiled little girl with a fascination for cute things and fluffy animals)

GM: The werewolves tear through the wall and descend upon you!

GM as Saia: Look Daddy!!! Puppies!!! Can we pet them?!? Puhleeeeease Daddy Puhleeease?

Karsh, The Blood Drinker who constantly thirsts for blood

Karahn, Blade of Honor (male cheuvanist who thinks he's better than the PC.....and feels very free to offer his guidance)

Too make things even more interesting, each personallity shapeshifts the axe into a different kind of weapon....and of course they will all be vieing with each other for the most attention.

Quote: "Or, maybe, talk to the player about your dissatisfaction with his cheesy axe build instead of taking a passive-aggressive approach to punish him for it. Maybe point him to this thread and ask if he'd like to reconsider his approach..."

Actually, I have talked to the player about the axe and that encouraged him to drop Indirect, +1 variable advantage and something else that I'm forgetting....but he left Double Knockback, Reduced Endurance 0, Armor PiercingX3 and Penetrating X3. I'm not trying to punish or be passive agressive or anything like that and I don't think he'll see it that way. I just think this is gonna be a fun and interesting way to express that 25 point disad.

The character is actually an alien who brought his axe with him from his home planet so I can't use historical figures for the personallities. I think the story for why it has the peronsallites at all is that his lover, Karseeah, who created the axe for him and is missing, was later absorbed by it. However, she could not bear being trapped inside the item and it cause her mind to splinter into the four different personallities.

Sargo the Mad, Trapped Necromancer.

This can be vastly amusing, especially since the PC is obviously trying very hard to be good. "Now, my minion, carry me into battle, for every being I defeat shall rise from the grave as a zombie under my control! BWAHHAAHAHAHHAA!"

Sometimes it actually works. Sometimes, Sargo is polite, almost disturbingly congenial.

Tradition has the Labrys as a fundamentally female weapon.

I'm not sure if it's gone out of fashion to have objects that transgender their owners, but it is an old and time-honored RPG shtick.

And expanding on multiple personalities.. an Axe that takes on the personalities of those upon whom it has fed.. would also be more versatile.

Then you could shift out of the personalities that aren't funny anymore and try on new ones, or combinations of old and new.

Oh to be the sort of Evil GM who players trust with 25 pts of Mystery Disad.

Actually' date=' I have talked to the player about the axe and that encouraged him to drop Indirect, +1 variable advantage and something else that I'm forgetting....but he left Double Knockback, Reduced Endurance 0, Armor PiercingX3 and Penetrating X3.[/quote']

What use are APx3 and Penx3? That's +3 in total advantages so that it's still AP and Penetrating unless the GM wants it not to be and buys Hardened x6.

How many DC is the Axe? In a typical 12DC game, those advantages alone drop it down to a 1d6 HKA (2d6 if you have the 60 STR to add 60 AP to it).

It also leaves every enemy bloodied, since it's doing Penetrating BOD, so it seems reasonable to see him getting sued, bad press, maybe enemies getting found innocent because the jury sympathizes with his pain and suffering, etc.

Tradition has the Labrys as a fundamentally female weapon.

I'm not sure if it's gone out of fashion to have objects that transgender their owners, but it is an old and time-honored RPG shtick.

Oh, that is so utterly wicked. In a good way. :eg:

And expanding on multiple personalities.. an Axe that takes on the personalities of those upon whom it has fed.. would also be more versatile.

Then you could shift out of the personalities that aren't funny anymore and try on new ones, or combinations of old and new.

Hmm, how about the axe manifests personalities based on those of previous wielders?

Kinda OT, but does anyone here think it should be possible for an axe to be used to inflict non-lethal damage by striking with the haft?

I.e., "Haft: +3d6 Hand-to-Hand Attack" or the like.

Though if the weapon is magic, I suppose one can give it almost any power imaginable on the basis of "well, it's magic!"

It occurs to me that Mystery Disad is a great way for guaging a new GM. Use my 25 points to create one or more interesting disadvantages that add to the character and the game, and we have a really good GM.

Use it to screw over the character, or alter my character concept markedly [let's call it "pull a Bendis"), and we have a GM that views the game as adversarial in nature. In that case, my next character will have no mystery disad's, but I won't feel near the compunction to avoid overpowered or cheesy builds.

In other words, the GM who doesn't want cheesy player character abilities should be careful not to be cheesy himself in running the game, and abuse of disadvantages, especially disadvantages the GM creates, is a big opportunity for cheesy GMing.

What use are APx3 and Penx3? That's +3 in total advantages so that it's still AP and Penetrating unless the GM wants it not to be and buys Hardened x6.

How many DC is the Axe? In a typical 12DC game, those advantages alone drop it down to a 1d6 HKA (2d6 if you have the 60 STR to add 60 AP to it).

It also leaves every enemy bloodied, since it's doing Penetrating BOD, so it seems reasonable to see him getting sued, bad press, maybe enemies getting found innocent because the jury sympathizes with his pain and suffering, etc.

My campaign rules are 400 point base and 200 point disads with a 20 dc limit and a 100 point base limit on powers, etc. but no limit on the active cost and a 120 Def cap (60 PD & 60 ED or any variation thereof with the 120 point limit).

I gave them extra points so that they could increase the wonder factor of their characters. In hindsight, it was a bad idea but this is the first champions game I've run in 10 years and one thing I remembered was always having to nitpick every last point in order to get all the abilities a character should have. I also thought the players were mature enough that I could afford to be generous.

He's built the axe as two powers, a 6 1/2 D6 HKA with Str (would be higher w/out the DC cap) and a 4d6 HA (for hitting with the flat of the blade) that is 20d6 w/Str.

My campaign rules are 400 point base and 200 point disads with a 20 dc limit and a 100 point base limit on powers, etc. but no limit on the active cost and a 120 Def cap (60 PD & 60 ED or any variation thereof with the 120 point limit).

He's built the axe as two powers, a 6 1/2 D6 HKA with Str (would be higher w/out the DC cap) and a 4d6 HA (for hitting with the flat of the blade) that is 20d6 w/Str.

6 1/2 d6 AP Penetrating is 40 DC. If the Hand Attack is 4d6, and if he wants to add more than 4d6 with STR, the HA loses all its advantages.

It occurs to me that Mystery Disad is a great way for guaging a new GM. Use my 25 points to create one or more interesting disadvantages that add to the character and the game, and we have a really good GM.

Use it to screw over the character, or alter my character concept markedly [let's call it "pull a Bendis"), and we have a GM that views the game as adversarial in nature. In that case, my next character will have no mystery disad's, but I won't feel near the compunction to avoid overpowered or cheesy builds.

In other words, the GM who doesn't want cheesy player character abilities should be careful not to be cheesy himself in running the game, and abuse of disadvantages, especially disadvantages the GM creates, is a big opportunity for cheesy GMing.

I don't think I'm being cheesy or adversarial at all and I don't think he'll see it that way either. If I wanted to do that I could do a heck of a lot worse than this.