Unworkable Premises for a Campaign

Clonus

Re: Unworkable Premises for a Campaign

I was just figuring that the machine just enhanced her physically

she just plays up the cat motif

if say a cat had been in the machine with her and the 2 where combined and then enhanced I could see the night vision

Well how the machine works is it gives the basic minimum of superhumanity, but then works off the mind of the transformed person making her better at the things she most wants to do. In Z's case I theorise that she wanted to avoid being alone, and be able to do multiple different things at once (work, play, do good). Mermaid wanted to understand other people. Super Model wanted to impress people and so on. Night vision is a handy asset for a burglar.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well how the machine works is it gives the basic minimum of superhumanity' date=' but then works off the mind of the transformed person making her better at the things she most wants to do. In Z's case I theorise that she wanted to avoid being alone, and be able to do multiple different things at once (work, play, do good).[/quote']

That's a pretty good surmise, the ultimate exercise in loneliness plus conflicting desires with a dash of indecision and a pinch of self loathing.

FEAR OUR MIGHTY NEUROSES, EVILDOERS! :D

Works for me. I hope I didn't come across as trying to tell you how to build your character' date=' thats between you and the GM. I was just tossing out some suggestions[/quote']

Not at all, discussion is helpful for soldifying the concept and making me think through the rationale for her powers.

I thought about that' date=' but in my experience lots of gay men are completely fascinated by supermodel types and similar entertainment divas–they don't want to [i']have sex[/i] with them, but such women still strongly command their attention.

This is true.

in that case since it could be that she would just want to always improve her lot in life

so it could be something she buys later with experience

(something that becomes a regular problem her sub-conscience would start having her body mutate slowly to adapt to the the problem say at no more than 1 point for a skill or multipower slot and no more than 1/10 the cost for anything else)

Well how the machine works is it gives the basic minimum of superhumanity' date=' but then works off the mind of the transformed person making her better at the things she most wants to do. In Z's case I theorise that she wanted to avoid being alone, and be able to do multiple different things at once (work, play, do good). Mermaid wanted to understand other people. Super Model wanted to impress people and so on. Night vision is a handy asset for a burglar.[/quote']

Clonus, one thing I wanted to ask about: since Marenka and maybe Neraea are the only wives who may have been publicly involved with Sentinel as opposed to one of his secret identities, will the ex-wives aspect of the group be masked with a different cover story once they go public with their crime-fighting activities? Or will he depart the playing field in such a way that preserving his secret IDs is no longer a concern?

Clonus' date=' one thing I wanted to ask about: since Marenka and maybe Neraea are the only wives who may have been publicly involved with Sentinel as opposed to one of his secret identities, will the ex-wives aspect of the group be masked with a different cover story once they go public with their crime-fighting activities? Or will he depart the playing field in such a way that preserving his secret IDs is no longer a concern?[/quote']

That's up to the players. They will simply be faced with a situation where

• Their ex-husband is missing, possibly dead under suspicious circumstances.
  • Some of them are under suspicion, because his secret identity vanishes at the same time he does, for obvious reasons. Others because of their dealings with Sentinel himself.
  • Their home, a city of ten million or so people which has been protected by the most powerful hero in the world for the last half-century is suddenly unprotected. There were other crimefighters with exceptional abilities at times, but by now, they have all left, died, or gone to prison for crossing the line, except for those X-Wives who do it.

How they respond is up to them.

An odd thought on just how they all actually meet - keeping in mind that at least one of them didn't publicize their marriage, and a few are assumed elderly at this point. And one's not even from the surface world. . .

After his disappearance one of them might actually still have been close enough to the guy he trusted her with a full list of his marital escapades. Just in case. And it's her that pulls the team together to start both investigating and protecting.

As a thought.

After his disappearance one of them might actually still have been close enough to the guy he trusted her with a full list of his marital escapades. Just in case. And it's her that pulls the team together to start both investigating and protecting.

I'm thining that the first ex, or the telepath, or both, know everything.

I think what you regret is getting ambushed by a heap of over enthusiastic players demanding you actually run the thing.

Speaking of which, when is the first post?:rolleyes:

Patience... the man just got the gaming equivalent of being hit over the head, and waking up in a basement, tied to a chair with a bunch of goons around him demanding things from him . . .

I think what you regret is getting ambushed by a heap of over enthusiastic players demanding you actually run the thing.

Tomorrow. I've just got to figure out how to make this Herocentral thing work.

I have to admit that I'm beginning to feel that I was over enthusiastic in volunteering for the game. It's been close to a week since I last did any meaningful work on the Mermaid, and my attention has pretty seriously wandered.

In short, I don't have my character ready, and I've got a nasty suspicion that I'm unlikely to get her ready.

That suggests I should back out gracefully before things get started.

a-10 1) Turn Every Head: Sight Group Flash 2 1/2d6, Area Of Effect (8” Radius, +1 1/4), Continuous (+1),

Makes it impossible to actually work as a model. Nobody would be able to see the clothes or take their photographs.

Have you tried to access Herocentral, or is this character going to end up being a gedanken exercise?

Makes it impossible to actually work as a model. Nobody would be able to see the clothes or take their photographs.

Have you tried to access Herocentral, or is this character going to end up being a gedanken exercise?

I'll try to work up something a little less extreme with a Change Environment build for that power.

I've registered at Hero Central, but haven't yet scoped out exactly how the PBEM setup works yet (I've only ever played tabletop games). Does the site have a Hero Designer-style application to actually log in character write-ups, or do we just enter a raw text version somewhere like we've been doing in this thread?

I'll try to work up something a little less extreme with a Change Environment build for that power.

I've registered at Hero Central, but haven't yet scoped out exactly how the PBEM setup works yet (I've only ever played tabletop games). Does the site have a Hero Designer-style application to actually log in character write-ups, or do we just enter a raw text version somewhere like we've been doing in this thread?

You can upload a HDv3 file.

Unfortunately, even HDv2 won't run on my iBook's operating system.

Clonus, does this look more workable to you regarding Marenka's powers?

Cost Powers END

12 Unearthly Beauty: Elemental Control, 56-point powers, Powers Only Work On Men (-1), All Powers Reduced Proportionately By Drain vs. COM (-1/4)

a-10 1) Turn Every Head: Change Environment 4" radius, -3 to Normal Sight PER Rolls, Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Always On (-1/2), Only Works On Men (-1), Reduced Proportionately by Drain vs. COM (-1/4) [0]

b-13 2) Make Men Fall All Over Themselves: Drain DEX 3d6, Ranged (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Only Works On Men (-1), Reduced Proportionately by Drain vs. COM (-1/4) [0]

Unfortunately, even HDv2 won't run on my iBook's operating system.

Clonus, does this look more workable to you regarding Marenka's powers?

Cost Powers END

12 Unearthly Beauty: Elemental Control, 56-point powers, Powers Only Work On Men (-1), All Powers Reduced Proportionately By Drain vs. COM (-1/4)

a-10 1) Turn Every Head: Change Environment 4" radius, -3 to Normal Sight PER Rolls, Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Always On (-1/2), Only Works On Men (-1), Reduced Proportionately by Drain vs. COM (-1/4) [0]

b-13 2) Make Men Fall All Over Themselves: Drain DEX 3d6, Ranged (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Only Works On Men (-1), Reduced Proportionately by Drain vs. COM (-1/4) [0]

That's fine, thanks. I'd make sure to have guys walk into things they don't notice. Actually I'd appreciate it if accepted players PM me a plain text copy of their character sheet for my convenient perusal in play.

Characters are all part of Project Nightwatch - "super soldiers" with various abilities, but all have enhanced strength, speed, and physical toughness with some side effects, including severe photophobia. All have to take a glowing green serum on a daily basis to maintain their powers. They perform a variety of "black ops" missions for their superiors. As far as they know, they are the first super-powered people in the world.

Gradually, they come to realise their superiors may not have the country's best interests in mind. And they keep finding hints that there may be other supers out there - possibly even another, even more secret, group of super-soldiers. And other strange things that don't quite fit into the special-forces-with-superpowers mold.

Eventually, they come back from one of their missions, to find their base has been invaded and basically destroyed. Everyone seems to have been killed, from a combination of firearms and melee weapons.

Digging through the wreckage, they are able to find the documentation that reveals the true source of their powers. The "super serum" they were injected with right at the beginning was actually the blood of a creature called "Subject V" - ancient, immortal, possessed of extraordinary powers, and sustained by human blood. The glowing green serum they have been using up until now is also human blood, with special food colouring to hide its true nature. Strong post-hypnotic suggestions were given, to keep their new urges in check, and to stop them inquiring too deeply into their origins.

Subject V is missing. The leaders of Project Nightwatch are also missing. The stocks of "serum" have been destroyed. And there are documents mentioning another supersoldier project, this time being derived from "Subject W"...