Unworkable Premises for a Campaign

Clonus

Re: Unworkable Premises for a Campaign

Still in the throes of creation... Fortunately today's my day off.

I'm struggling a little with the Mermaid's wheelchair, which she has to use when she's on land in her natural form. I'm buying her running down to 1" in that form - she can crawl.

For the wheelchair I'm thinking:

- 5" Running OAF. It shouldn't add to her normal running, (or if I'm feeling lazy, it does and I drop the chair to +4", giving the same net effect).

- It should be restricted in terms of terrain, steps and so on. (+1? +1/2?)

- I'm not sure about non-combat movement. I see it as a spiffy modern job, not some clunky hospital kind of thing, so she can zoom around fairly agilely and quite fast. That, plus her superhuman strength, might allow her to justify non-combat movement.

- It's other main requirement is that she can sit on it and conceal the fact she has a tail, rather than legs! That might might theoretically conflict with the previous point.

- Or of course it could be motorised! The benefit of that would be that she wouldn't have to use her hands to move. And at least some of these things can actually get up a reasonable bit of speed, so she could justify a normal running, or even slightly faster than normal running speed.

Strictly speaking, the motorised version, at least, should technically be a vehicle, but I really can't be bothered building it as such. The manual kind would work fine as focussed running.

The other thing I am still considering is what her profession is. I don't see her as a diplomat, and I'm reluctant to go with anthropologist, although that's probably what she really is. I might just do it. She was sent to study the surface world and human societies, and she's still something of an expert on the topic.

Yep. She's an academic - a professor of human studies. If there's an Indiana Jones element in her field studies, so be it!

In fact, I've just noticed that the Pulp Hero Archeologist package is designed to cover anthropologists as well. I might be able to use it as a starting point for her skill list.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Z

Player: Querysphinx

Cost Power END

54 Duplication (creates 4 287-point Duplicates) (68 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Can only create fully healty dupes. i.e.no wounded BDY dupes; -1/4) 0

Clarification please. Do you mean that when you recombine a wounded dupe you can't split it again until it is fully healed?. Also, what is the method Z uses to conceal her stripes?

Clarification please. Do you mean that when you recombine a wounded dupe you can't split it again until it is fully healed?. Also' date=' what is the method Z uses to conceal her stripes?[/quote']

Yes, that's what I mean. If Z recombines a wounded dupe, she can't bring it out again until it's healed up. If a body dies, she has to grow another one from "scratch." She dies forever if all four bodies die at the same time.

Bodies only regenerate if they're "inside."

I need to find some way to define so that if a combined form gets wounded, only the one on "top" takes damage. Hmmm... I could by extra STUN and BODY only for the concealed dupes. Gah... I need more points.

As for concealing the stripes: Concealing clothes, a blonde wig, and some really good spray on tan.

Also, although I find this character extremely appealing, if you (Clonus) or McCoy feels like this steps too much on his character's toes (permanent mindlink being two places at once) I will yield to his having posted first.

Also' date=' although I find this character extremely appealing, if you (Clonus) or McCoy feels like this steps too much on his character's toes (permanent mindlink being two places at once) I will yield to his having posted first.[/quote']

OK with me. You've got a character that can be multiple places at the same time. I've got a follower that I can see through his eyes, he can hear my nonverbal commands, and he can communicate to me on a non-verbal or just barely verbal level. (I'm expecting "bad smell" is about as complex an idea Rudy will be able to get accross to Cindy.) Don't seem that simular to me.

- Or of course it could be motorised! The benefit of that would be that she wouldn't have to use her hands to move. And at least some of these things can actually get up a reasonable bit of speed, so she could justify a normal running, or even slightly faster than normal running speed.

Motorized wheelchairs aren't all that fast - my dad's moves slower than normal walking speed, and I doubt any are made that will break 12 mph on flat ground. Coupling the manual kind with superhuman strength might get you up to bicycle speeds, but bear in mind it's much easier to fall out of them or tip over if they're moving fast.

The Cat

Cost Powers END

18 Mutation enhanced body and perception: Elemental Control, 44-point powers, (22 Active Points); all slots OIHID (-1/4)

21 1) luck: Armor (18 PD/18 ED) (54 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) 5

18 2) Leaping +35" (43" forward, 21 1/2" upward) (Accurate, Position Shift) (45 Active Points) 4

19 3) Running +13" (6"/19" total), Position Shift, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (46 Active Points)

Yeah...not loving the elemental. It isn't very elemental. And it's not enough to be lucky anyway. She actually has to be able to take a physical pounding. "luck" doesn't really work as a pretext for avoiding injury while having sex with a man with Strength 100. Another approach is called for. If you don't want to be physically bullet-proof...then don't be. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If someone's coming after her with a killing attack, Maggie can dodge like nobody's business anyway. You might want to just drop the "Armor", buy up her PD to the minimum, get a little actual luck, and sling jumping, running and clinging into a movement multipower.

And actually having luck even before enhancement would help justify her successfully managing to break into Sentinel's old HQ. Apart from that, "Always the Gentleman" sits a little oddly on a woman. How is it going to manifest?

Motorized wheelchairs aren't all that fast - my dad's moves slower than normal walking speed' date=' and I doubt any are made that will break 12 mph on flat ground.[/quote']

True. I was judging from my neighbour's machine, which can go faster than my comfortable walking speed. I'm not sure what its actual top speed is. Either way, it definitely can justify a non-combat movement rate.

Coupling the manual kind with superhuman strength might get you up to bicycle speeds, but bear in mind it's much easier to fall out of them or tip over if they're moving fast.

Yes. I'm looking at no more than 6"/12" for the character. I'm just not sure if I can justify that much.

A few years ago I worked with a paraplegic guy who was into wheelchair basketball. Talk about a bloodsport! I was kind of impressed by the capabilities of modern wheelchairs, though.

They doesn't help with concealing a fish tail though. Something more old-fashioned might be better for that.

The X-Wives Club: Sentinel was Earth's most powerful hero since the year 1939' date=' when he began his career. He fell in love with that spunky girl-reporter but there was a problem. Earth women were so...breakable. It was a problem his alien technology could fix. They got married and lived happily for a good six years. Then came a bad three years, and a divorce. After her there was the heiress, the athlete, the cop, the mermaid, the model, even the burglar. Each of them married him for years or months, and each of them eventually was left by him. Although they didn't have his dizzying array of powers and cosmic powerlevels, they had enough durability and muscle that they wouldn't be injured by a careless motion in the throes of passion. That they also gained some incidental powers expressing their interests was a nice side-effect. That they gathered together in a kind of club with the only women they could talk to freely about their past and present was only natural. And when he dropped out of sight...well someone had to fill the gap...[/quote']

You should umm sell this to a tv network...

Repped. This is excellent. And the nice thing is there is no shortage of possible PC. One drops out, unknown wife from Britain steps in. And children....ohh the possiblities.

Wasn't Clan Destine something like this?

The Clan Destine were the kids of Adam Destine and his D'Jinn wife. He was immortal and invincible. I really liked that series.

ok ditched the ec

pd/ed now 20 plus 6pd/6ed body armor oif mo activate since only most everything is covered

took suggestion of making running and leaping a multipower

dropped the DF(always the gentleman)missed that one when I modified her from a male character from a game that happened once then got dropped

see how she looks now

The Cat

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

40 STR 30 17- Lift 6400.0kg; 8d6 [4]

29 DEX 57 15- OCV: 10/DCV: 10

25 CON 30 14-

12 BODY 4 11-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

12 EGO 4 11- ECV: 4

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

20 COM 5 13-

20/26 PD 12 Total: 20/26 PD (0/6 rPD)

20/26 ED 15 Total: 20/26 ED (0/6 rED)

6 SPD 21 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

15 REC 4

50 END 0

50 STUN 5 Total Characteristic Cost: 200

Movement: Running: 6"/17"/12"/34"

Leaping: 33"/132"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

40 enhance body: Multipower, 40-point reserve

4u 1) Leaping +25" (33" forward, 16 1/2" upward) (Accurate, Position Shift, x4 Noncombat) (40 Active Points) 4

4u 2) Running +11" (6"/17" total), Position Shift, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (40 Active Points)

12 Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); OIF (lite body armor; -1/2)

5 Luck 1d6

10 Clinging (normal STR)

1 LS (Longevity: 200 Years)

5 Defensive Strike +1 +3 11d6 Strike

5 Flying Dodge -- +4 Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

4 Sacrifice Lunge +2 -2 11d6 +v/5; FMove

3 Martial Throw +0 +1 11d6 +v/5, Target Falls

5 Sacrifice Strike +1 -2 15d6 Strike

12 +3 HTH Damage Class(es)

Skills

3 Acrobatics 15-

3 Breakfall 15-

3 Computer Programming 13-

3 Contortionist 15-

10 Defense Maneuver I-IV

3 Electronics 13-

3 Lockpicking 15-

3 Security Systems 13-

3 Sleight Of Hand 15-

3 Systems Operation 13-

3 Stealth 15-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 150

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

20 Enraged: innocents endangered (Common), go 11-, recover 11-

20 Hunted: mystery 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: US Goverment 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Honorable (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Courious (Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Loves male attention (Common, Strong)

15 Reputation: Honorable, 14-

5 Rivalry: Professional (sneaky thief types; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

15 Social Limitation: Secert Id (Frequently, Major)

5 Unluck: 1d6

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Background/History: Maggie was a burglar and a good one at that

she had never been caught nobody even had a clue about her

she was going for her most dangerous theft yet

the power matrix to Sentinel's UBERTRON FEM ENHANCER tm

there she made her first mistake

she accidently turned the damn thing on and got zapped by it

Later Sentinel showed up thinking one of his home defense systems knocked her out

Sentinal handed Maggie over to the police not knowing she had superpowers now so of course she got away on the way to jail

Maggie used her new powers to help her in crimes(mostly in getting in and out)

she also took up taunting and flirting with Sentinel

she went straight and married Sentinel that lasted about 3 yrs

when they broke up Maggie went back to crime and was later caught by Sentinel and sent to prison for 10 yrs

Maggie has learned her lesson and is now gone straight she has served her time is now putting her talents to use on the right side of the law

Personality/Motivation: want s to do the right thing

Quote: shush

Powers/Tactics: demi-brick martialartist

very fast and very lucky

Campaign Use:

Appearance: Norrmal form brunette

Hero form platinum blond

appear to be 20 yrs is in fact 35 yrs old

Yeah...not loving the elemental. It isn't very elemental. And it's not enough to be lucky anyway. She actually has to be able to take a physical pounding. "luck" doesn't really work as a pretext for avoiding injury while having sex with a man with Strength 100. Another approach is called for. If you don't want to be physically bullet-proof...then don't be. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If someone's coming after her with a killing attack, Maggie can dodge like nobody's business anyway. You might want to just drop the "Armor", buy up her PD to the minimum, get a little actual luck, and sling jumping, running and clinging into a movement multipower.

And actually having luck even before enhancement would help justify her successfully managing to break into Sentinel's old HQ. Apart from that, "Always the Gentleman" sits a little oddly on a woman. How is it going to manifest?

I thought I might be able to draw and scan a quick character illustration on my lunch hour today, but then I got hit by an avalanche of You Want It Done By When? and had to eat at my desk and work late. I'll try to post my write-up and art this weekend.

While mapping out defensive capabilities, I realized that Life Support (only needs to eat once per week; only needs to sleep 8 hours per week; Immunity: alcohol) weren't the result of superhuman enhancement, but just the character being used to the model lifestyle.

While mapping out defensive capabilities' date=' I realized that Life Support (only needs to eat once per week; only needs to sleep 8 hours per week; Immunity: alcohol) weren't the result of superhuman enhancement, but just the character being used to the model lifestyle.[/quote']

:thumbup:

Progress report: I've read pretty much every Lori Lemaris story I could find. Which, while fun, didn't really help me get my character built. :)

I was at work today, so no progress. I'm drinking cheap and nasty wine at the moment, which might result in a certain amount of progress, but will end up in me falling over and going to sleep. Hopefully. I might also start raving and spouting gibberish, which might be useful too.

Designing a costume for a mermaid is "interesting". The underwater lifestyle does, I confess, lend itself to fanservice.

I've done a "back of the envelope" mechanical build which suggests it might be easier for me to go with a simpler design than what I originally anticipated. That, of course, impacts on her fluff text and (especially) disadvantages.

I'm probably going to go with a pretty straight rip of the Silver Age Lori's version of Atlantis. I could get all poetic about it, but it would take me three days to get it right, and it still wouldn't quite be up to the standard of the original.

I've also done a parallel text analysis of Lori's Silver Age origin and the John Byrne version from the 80s. Basically, the difference is a mixture of when it was written, plus the Silver Age version being more compressed in terms of art, and more verbose in terms of text.

There's added pathos in Byrne's version, because Lori was supposedly killed during Crisis on Infinite Earths - which I gather has since been retconned away.

Anyway, I'll try and get at least part of the character up for people to see tonight.

ok ditched the ec

pd/ed now 20 plus 6pd/6ed body armor oif mo activate since only most everything is covered

took suggestion of making running and leaping a multipower

dropped the DF(always the gentleman)missed that one when I modified her from a male character from a game that happened once then got dropped

see how she looks now

The Cat

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

25 CON 30 14-

12 BODY 4 11-

20 COM 5 13-

15 REC 4

50 END 0

Cost Powers END

4u 1) Leaping +25" (33" forward, 16 1/2" upward) (Accurate, Position Shift, x4 Noncombat) (40 Active Points) 4

4u 2) Running +11" (6"/17" total), Position Shift, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (40 Active Points)

5 Luck 1d6

10 Clinging (normal STR)

5 Sacrifice Strike +1 -2 15d6 Strike

OK' date=' not that I've got my first reaction out of the way, she's doing too much damage. 15 dice? More for that lunge attack? No. Bad player. No cookie. Lose the HTH damage classes at the least. What did she do, break into places by smashing through walls?[/quote']

Skills

3 Acrobatics 15-

3 Breakfall 15-

3 Contortionist 15-

10 Defense Maneuver I-IV

3 Electronics 13-

3 Lockpicking 15-

3 Security Systems 13-

3 Sleight Of Hand 15-

3 Systems Operation 13-

3 Stealth 15-

Uh-hunh. How did she unload her take after a job? Or know what was worth stealing? If you want her to be a classy cat burglar High Society would be a good idea. No Seduction or Persuasion skill? She got a generally upright and even a little stuffy superhero to fall for her and marry her when she was a wanted criminal. Surely that implies some social skills.

200+ Disadvantages

20 Enraged: innocents endangered (Common), go 11-, recover 11-

15 Hunted: US Goverment 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

Code vs Killing? Common Enraged? 17 dice attacks? These things do not go together. I'd say lose the Enraged.

15 Psychological Limitation: Honorable (Common, Strong)

What does "Honorable" mean in this context?

10 Psychological Limitation: Courious (Common, Moderate)

15 Reputation: Honorable, 14-

Wait. How did she get that famous for being honorable? She's an ex-con who just got out of prison two years ago! After a prison term in which she served more than twice the average sentence for her kind of offense! That can be explained to some extent by her initial escape from custody' date=' but that's not the basis for such a positive Reputation, and of course a Rep that makes people think well of her isn't a Disad anyway. [/quote']

5 Rivalry: Professional (sneaky thief types; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

5 Unluck: 1d6

Sorry, I should have taken a closer look in the first place. One thing you seriously might want to consider is upping her luck more. She did manage to stay at large during more than one encounter with Sentinel and powerfully optimised for combat and burglary though this design is, Sentinel was built on twice the points. Her best hope in an encounter would have been to stall until luckily something more life-threatening claimed his attention. Something to bear in mind: Skills matter, and not just beating up and breaking in skills.

What do you mean that's unworkable?! That's AWESOME!!! :D

Quoted for truth

I would also add that I have played Agent games where all the characters had basically identical powers and were all female. Worked fine. In fact it encourages role playing and characterisation.

added more skills that would be needed to to get in the crowds she would have preyed upon pursuasion,high society,forgery(to tell the fakes from real)

dropped damage to 11d6 max(unless pushing)

dropped enrage

The Cat

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

25 CON 30 14-

12 BODY 4 11-

20 COM 5 13-

15 REC 4

50 END 0

Cost Powers END

5 Luck 1d6

10 Clinging (normal STR)

Skills

3 Acrobatics 15-

3 Breakfall 15-

3 Concealment 13-

3 Contortionist 15-

3 Electronics 13-

3 High Society 12-

4 Forgery (Art Objects) 14-

3 Lockpicking 15-

5 Persuasion 13-

3 Security Systems 13-

3 Sleight Of Hand 15-

3 Systems Operation 13-

3 Stealth 15-

200+ Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: always looking around(casing the joint) (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Hunted: fomer clients 8- (Mo Pow, Capture)

20 Hunted: US Goverment 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

15 Psychological Limitation: Courious (Common, Strong)

10 Reputation: former cat buglar, 8- (Extreme)

10 Unluck: 2d6

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Background/History: Maggie was a burglar and a good one at that

she had never been caught nobody even had a clue about her

she was going for her most dangerous theft yet

the power matrix to Sentinel's UBERTRON FEM ENHANCER tm

there she made her first mistake

she accidently turned the damn thing on and got zapped by it

Later Sentinel showed up thinking one of his home defense systems knocked her out

Sentinal handed Maggie over to the police not knowing she had superpowers now so of course she got away on the way to jail

Maggie used her new powers to help her in crimes(mostly in getting in and out)

she also took up taunting and flirting with Sentinel

she went straight and married Sentinel that lasted about 3 yrs

when they broke up Maggie went back to crime and was later caught by Sentinel and sent to prison for 10 yrs

Maggie has learned her lesson and is now gone straight she has served her time is now putting her talents to use on the right side of the law

Personality/Motivation: want s to do the right thing

Quote: shush

Powers/Tactics: demi-brick martialartist

very fast and very lucky

Campaign Use:

Appearance: Norrmal form brunette

Hero form platinum blond

appear to be 20 yrs is in fact 35 yrs old

Husband announced plans yesterday for a "spontaneous" road trip to CA...leaving Monday! 8-O

He's been planning this as a Thanksgiving holiday surprise (and he's bribing me with a visit to the infamous Winchester House)....

I'll be on the road a lot and mostly out of touch for the next two weeks, so I won't be playing Lorelei Lucas (née Lorraine Lucas) after all.

:-(

The "Spunky Girl Reporter" concept is therefore back up for grabs. Have a blast, guys, and thanks again, Clonus.

Here's a rough Sentinel-centered timeline.

1939: Sentinel arrives on Earth. While scouting around he notes several occasions where natives are victimising each other, and stops to make inquiries about what is going on. When the aggressors prove to be belligerent and uncooperative, he restrains them in order to question them further. Lorraine Lucas breaks the story of the caped "vigilante", but her editor leaves out the more fantastic stuff. She is vindicated when she manages to get a picture of Sentinel trouncing alien robots in New Jersey.

1940: Alan Prometheus is asked by the FBI to investigate the superhuman. Prometheus takes that as license to capture and study Sentinel and begins a long career as his arch-enemy.

1941: Sentinel demolishes a Nazi flying aircraft carrier.

1942: Sentinel defeats the Science Warriour, a giant robot weapon of the Japanese and collapses a tunnel the Germans dug across the channel.

1943: Sentinel is captured by the SS Psychic Corps in Germany and Lorraine Lucas is sent in with a British agent to try to free him from their mind control. John Jackson marries Lorraine Lucas.

1944: Sentinel destroys Nazi orbital mirror.

1945: Nazi orbital bomber drops "dirty bomb" on American east coast. Sentinel destroys launch site.

1951: After his divorce from Lorraine Lucas, and a subpoena from HUAC Sentinel angrily retreats into space.

1962: Sentinel returns from his outer space exile, going to college as Jack Jacobs and meeting ?

1966: Sentinel becomes a founding member of the Planetary League, a world-wide association of aliens and advanced humans intended to meet threats to the entire planet operating under UN sponsorship.

1968: Sentinel meets ? again while helping Atlantis fight the Deep Ones.

1984: Earthquake devastates Sentinel's home city.

1985: Sentinel recruits the help of Prometheus to defeat an extra-dimensional invasion. Prometheus is pardoned for his criminal past and quickly becomes a very wealthy man by marketing his technology and rebuilding the city devastated by earthquake and invasion.

1989: Sentinel marries Marenka

1992: Marenka divorces Sentinel

1993: John marries Zoe

1994: Maggie breaks into John Jackson's house and finds his lair, accidentally activating the wife machine and losing consciousness on her way out. He turns her in to the police and moves all of his alien stuff into Sentinel Mountain for greater security.

1995: John divorces Zoe

1996: The Hero War: Many supposed heroes who use extreme methods and ignore the law are arrested by Sentinel and his faction of heroes and are tried and sentenced.

1997: Maggie marries John

2003: Sentinel addresses incoming class at city police academy

2006: John Jackson secretly marries Cindy

2007: Maggie May gets out of prison.

2008: John and Cindy divorce.

2009: The Present. Cindy is invited to the New Years Party of the Wives