Unworkable Premises for a Campaign

Clonus

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Unworkable Premises for a Campaign

The X-Wives Club: Sentinel was Earth's most powerful hero since the year 1939' date=' when he began his career. He fell in love with that spunky girl-reporter but there was a problem. Earth women were so...breakable. It was a problem his alien technology could fix. They got married and lived happily for a good six years. Then came a bad three years, and a divorce. After her there was the heiress, the athlete, the cop, the mermaid, the model, even the burglar. Each of them married him for years or months, and each of them eventually was left by him. Although they didn't have his dizzying array of powers and cosmic powerlevels, they had enough durability and muscle that they wouldn't be injured by a careless motion in the throes of passion. That they also gained some incidental powers expressing their interests was a nice side-effect. That they gathered together in a kind of club with the only women they could talk to freely about their past and present was only natural. And when he dropped out of sight...well someone had to fill the gap...[/quote']

Repped. This is excellent. And the nice thing is there is no shortage of possible PC. One drops out, unknown wife from Britain steps in. And children....ohh the possiblities.

Wasn't Clan Destine something like this?

maybe one of the after effects of being with Sentinel is that some LS vs aging might be common amongst them....

Beast, I really do like the idea of the ladies acquiring some LS vs aging -- but even though our reporter doesn't look that much older, the person looking out from behind her eyes these days is a looong way from the "spunky girl" she once was.

Say rather that Sentinel's "Lois Lane" has developed into a gutsy, independent woman reporter with a vendetta against corruption in high -- and low -- places, a shelf full of Pulitzers and an impressive number of wrongdoers who'd like to see her dead.

Please, Clonus, would you consider running an "X-Wives' Club" game (or something like Dynamo 5) for us on HERO Central?

My arms don't stretch wide enough to depict how much I love the idea of a game where one of the character concepts could legitimately go by the code name Super Model. :D

Sentinel may have experimented with playing for the other team back in college.

As much as I'd normally be in favor of the idea of a switch-hitting iconic super hero, "The X-Wives Club" is such a beautiful concept that I don't think the format should be broken by the inclusion of an X-College Roommate.

maybe one of the after effects of being with Sentinel is that some LS vs aging might be common amongst them

my design is going to be that one night during their courtship

she broke into his house and crawled into bed with him(he did not wake up and she just cuddled with him) after Sentinel had been in a fight where he got hit with various chemicals and radiation and had not gone through a proper decontamination(he just showered and went to bed,she climbs into bed with him and is contaminated and mutates gaining super powers(character would look something like the Black Cat from Spider-man

they never marry but are together for a few yrs before he catches on and tosses her in jail she is now out and realizes that she was wrong and has reformed

How many points where you thinking of having the characters be

along with active pts and DC caps

I'm thinking "standard superheroic". 200 base points and a maximum of 150 points in disadvantages. Sentinel himself was in the Cosmic category. You'd have to have a ST of at least 30 and PD of at least 20. Maybe a 60 active point limit. And one other thing. I have an irrational dislike of "Freak Accident" origins. People can get powers accidentally, but only by being exposed inadverdently to things deliberately designed to give people powers. So for example the burglar character could have stumbled onto Sentinel's wife-making gizmo and set it off, but random chemicals and radiation won't do the trick. And yes, I guess I'll be starting a game up on Hero Central.

so she gets power when she accidently turned it on when she was trying to steal it's power matrix

that works for me

would you like us to post our character's here or wait till you have a game setup on HC

I'm thinking "standard superheroic". 200 base points and a maximum of 150 points in disadvantages. Sentinel himself was in the Cosmic category. You'd have to have a ST of at least 30 and PD of at least 20. Maybe a 60 active point limit. And one other thing. I have an irrational dislike of "Freak Accident" origins. People can get powers accidentally' date=' but only by being exposed inadverdently to things deliberately designed to give people powers. So for example the burglar character could have stumbled onto Sentinel's wife-making gizmo and set it off, but random chemicals and radiation won't do the trick. And yes, I guess I'll be starting a game up on Hero Central.[/quote']

The Mermaid raises a few issues about the setting. Namely, mermaids exist!

Is she the only one, or is there an "Atlantis" out there somewhere? I kind of like the second option.

I think she would need some kind of shapeshifting ability, to get over the issue of being half fish. (Futurama did that gag well!) I like the idea of her spending most of her time on land in a wheelchair, though. Hmm... and she should have some telepathic powers... making her a kind of female Professor X. ;)

I'll pass on the talking to fish thing, though. Dolphins and whales, at most.

Oh yes! Should we do a version of the "LL" theme?

When is the game set? How long ago did the Big Guy disappear?

Is she the only one, or is there an "Atlantis" out there somewhere? I kind of like the second option.

I think she would need some kind of shapeshifting ability, to get over the issue of being half fish. (Futurama did that gag well!) I like the idea of her spending most of her time on land in a wheelchair, though. Hmm... and she should have some telepathic powers... making her a kind of female Professor X. ;)

Or she could have flight reimagined as swimming through the air, more graceful than your average flier.

If you run the mermaid then yeah, there's a subsea society of fish (or dolphin)-human chimerae. You can make up as much about it as you choose for your backstory bearing in mind these parameters: Aliens exist. Alien technology exists. "Magic" exists but you...personally...can't do it. Human enhancement research exists. Freak power granting accidents involving random chemical and radiation exposure does not exist. The couple of thousand years before 1939 occured pretty much as in our history for humans...so far as most anyone knows.

I'll pass on the talking to fish thing, though. Dolphins and whales, at most.

Oh yes! Should we do a version of the "LL" theme?

That's at the discretion of the players.

When is the game set? How long ago did the Big Guy disappear?

The game is set in 2009 with the seventieth anniversary of Sentinel's debut approaching, and the Big Guy will disappear very early in play

OK, the cop.

I would like her to still be a cop, having police powers and maybe being the law enforcemant liason for the group if needed. As she is still in uniform, not a detective, I'm thinking she'll be one of the younger, if not youngest, of the group.

Any time line on what order the X-wives were wives?

Any restriction on powers other than minumum STR and PD? I made a cop character who had a mind linked K-9 partner and would like to recycle some of that (didn't get much chance to play him).

O
K, the cop.

I would like her to still be a cop, having police powers and maybe being the law enforcemant liason for the group if needed. As she is still in uniform, not a detective, I'm thinking she'll be one of the younger, if not youngest, of the group.

Any time line on what order the X-wives were wives

?

No. They're your characters as long as they fit within the basic ex-wife premise. Set the actual and apparent ages you want and then I'll construct a timeline to match once the starting cast is set. I'll only ask for adjustments if you end up in a conflict I can't resolve any other way.

Any restriction on powers other than minumum STR and PD? I made a cop character who had a mind linked K-9 partner and would like to recycle some of that (didn't get much chance to play him).

No absolute restrictions. You can have a Follower if you feel so inclined.

Ya gotta love this board. A thread for describing unworkable campaign premises turns into a recruitment thread for a new PBP :)

Well... it would be unworkable for most FTF groups.

Personally, being a huge Silver Age Superman geek, I "just happened" to have a Lori Lemaris homage sitting in my mental files.

All I have to do now is translate a vague mental picture into coherent sentences. :eek:

Or she could have flight reimagined as swimming through the air' date=' more graceful than your average flier.[/quote']

That would violate the Laws! of Physics!

An alien (or magical?) Metamorphic Ring that allows her to temporarily adopt human form is more appropriate.

I don't see her as being able to fly. She has enough trouble walking.

Besides, as I suggested in my previous post, I've got a pretty well defined idea of who she is and what she does.

Definitely depends on how well you trust your players and vice versa for long term campaigns, but I could definitely see this for a convention one-shot in terms of FTF as well. I ran a 7th Sea game at Origins that had all the characters be women. No one at the table had a problem with it.

Ah, Caligari's Angels...:D

I hesitate to say "most" (there's no way to know except for anecdotal evidence and I've seen some odd games in play F2F) but regardless I was referring to the upbeat and generally positive nature of the Hero Boards (at least outside of NGD) in turning something of a negative thread into the source of a new game and hopefully some fun. IOW, it was a compliment and praise not a complaint.

I'm thinking "standard superheroic".... And yes' date=' I guess I'll be starting a game up on Hero Central.[/quote']

Hurrah! Thank-you, Clonus. [dances the Highland Fling of Happiness]

Hmm...Lorelei Lucas, ace reporter?

In his original description, Clonus had the "spunky girl reporter" as the first of Sentinel's wives. I'd like to keep it that way...would that be all right with the GM and the other players?

Cat is a reformed ex-con

I placed her real age at 35

she appears to be 20 by the look of her

Cat/Maggie May met Sentinel when she was 18

got transmogrofied when she was 21 and got tossed into jail at 23

she has been out of the joint for 2 yrs

but this can easily be changed

Hurrah! Thank-you' date=' Clonus. [dances the Highland Fling of Happiness']

In his original description, Clonus had the "spunky girl reporter" as the first of Sentinel's wives. I'd like to keep it that way...would that be all right with the GM and the other players?

In his original description' date=' Clonus had the "spunky girl reporter" as the first of Sentinel's wives. I'd like to keep it that way...would that be all right with the GM and the other players?[/quote']

Cat is a reformed ex-con

I placed her real age at 35

she appears to be 20 by the look of her

Cat/Maggie May met Sentinel when she was 18

got transmogrofied when she was 21 and got tossed into jail at 23

she has been out of the joint for 2 yrs

but this can easily be changed

Lucinda "Cindy" Lobo, the policewoman, is in the 25-28 age range and looks it. Kept her marriage to Sentinel secret to avoid any gossup about sleeping her way to the middle. Wants children, but it was a bad time carrer wise, went the in vitro route and she and Sentinel have half a dozen zygotes chilling in liquid nitrogen. She's petite and Latina, fluent in Spanish and Portiguese as well as English.

Hurrah! Thank-you' date=' Clonus. [dances the Highland Fling of Happiness']

No prob. Something for you to bear in mind is that "Lorelei" would be approximately ninety years old in reality. If she still looks young you'll have to decide how to deal with that.