Captain Marvel, Shazam

Redmenace

For anyone who has read the various books, What is the deal with the word Shazam?

I know what it stands for but can anyone who learns the magic world transform into Capt Marvel or is it only Billy Batson?

Does Black Adam have something similar, I was under the impression he was one full time superhuman as opposed to a super/human timeshare.

Sincerly appreciate any one who can clear this up for me.

It only works for people to whom the Wizard gives the power too. When Billy and Mary say the word, they are invoking the name of the Wizard, and they then receive the power. Capt. Marvel Junior, on the other hand, was given his powers by Captain Marvel himself, which is why HIS magic word is "Captain Marvel." The main problem these three have is that the magic word always works - they can NEVER say the word without the magical lightning striking.

Technically, there is no limit to how long any of them can remain in their super-forms. It is simply a mark of their sense of obligation and responsibility that they feel they should not weild the power unless there a real need for them to do so.

And yes, Black Adam had a similar gift. Lacking any sense of responsibility, he never chooses to change back into his "mortal" ID. In the original incarnation, this was because he was a 3,000 year old Egyptian warrior, so transforming to normal would have killed him.

Originally posted by Klytus

Capt. Marvel Junior, on the other hand, was given his powers by Captain Marvel himself, which is why HIS magic word is "Captain Marvel." The main problem these three have is that the magic word always works -

Which may well make Captain Marvel Jr. the only superhero in the world who can't introduce himself.

"So ... what's your name, sir?"

"Me? I'm Captain Marvel, Ju *KRAKOW!* ... oh crap."

Originally posted by Klytus

And yes, Black Adam had a similar gift. Lacking any sense of responsibility, he never chooses to change back into his "mortal" ID. In the original incarnation, this was because he was a 3,000 year old Egyptian warrior, so transforming to normal would have killed him.

Isn't that actually what happened to him in the original stories? Uncle Marvel tricked him into saying "Shazam!" and he basically aged to death right away?

Originally posted by CrosshairCollie

Which may well make Captain Marvel Jr. the only superhero in the world who can't introduce himself.

"So ... what's your name, sir?"

"Me? I'm Captain Marvel, Ju *KRAKOW!* ... oh crap."

Which is why in the recent past he changed his name to CM3.

Captain Marvels Shazam stood for:

Solomon: Wisdom

Hercules: Strength

Atlas: Stamina

Zeus: Power

Achilles: Invulnerability

Mercury: Speed

Black Adams Shazam was:

Powers (Pre-Crisis):

Shu - stamina

Hershef - strength

Amon - power

Zehuti - wisdom

Anpu - speed

Menthu - courage

Powers (New Beginning):

Shu - stamina

Heru - swiftness

Amon - strength

Zehuti - wisdom

Aton - power

Mehen - courage

And just because I like her alot Mary Marvel's is

Selena's Grace

Hippolyta's Strength

Ariadne's Skill

Zephyrus' Fleetness

Aurora's Beautiness and

Minerva's Wisdom.

Holy Moley!

This is cut/pasted from DC's website. The full article is at http://www.dccomics.com/secret_files/dc_character.html?sc_dc_itemCode=blackadam

Note if Black Adam says SHAZAM he turns back into Theo Adam.

For years, Teth-Adam acted as a hero throughout Egypt and eventually came into the service of Prince Khufu, whom he would stay with until Khufu's murder. Shortly after the death of Khufu, Teth-Adam lost sight of his purpose and began using his powers for selfish gain. He gained a new name during this period, one that was whispered with fear throughout Egypt: Khem-Adam, translated into English as "Black Adam."

Partly blaming himself for Teth-Adam's horrible corruption, Shazam stripped Adam of his powers, placing them within a scarab amulet. The amulet was entombed with Pharoah Rameses II, and remained untouched until the late 20th century, when husband-and-wife archaeologists C.C. and Marilyn Batson uncovered it. The couple were brutally murdered by an associate, Theo Adam, who soon after unlocked the secret of the scarab and tapped into Black Adam's power and memories. The Batsons' son, Billy, was chosen by the wizard Shazam as his new champion, Captain Marvel.