Bestiar(ies) questions

Vestnik

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Bestiar(ies) questions

I have to be at work in a half hour or I'd leap to the KA mechanic's defense, but I haven't the time.

But I will say this, again....

Use Critical hits and consistent armor penetration benchmarks suddenly become nicely real world. With the addition of Piercing, you wind up being able to model heavy armored combat fairly well, speaking as the guy who used to play and run a SH campaign that at times included a lot of Hammer's Slammers style action. Random damage rolls represent variations in angle of impact, deflection, and all that other fun stuff.

One thing we did use in our games was the advantage AP Capped, from the original GAC, which was a nice shorthand build for the "if it penetrates the armor bad things happen" effect, but that can be build in other ways under the current edition. Fox1 did it rather well, back in the day, before he bailed.

I'm not sure what you mean by critical hits. If you've explained before and could point me at it I'd like to have a look.

Just to be clear, I'm not for a moment suggesting that Hero is not capable of modeling tanks and tank combat properly. I'm just saying it doesn't.

I mean, consistent armour penetration can be modeled by making all tank guns a 1d6 RKA, and adding X number of levels of penetrating. Tank armour is then built as 6/6 armour and Y levels of hardened: if X>Y then the gun can penetrate. Limit tank Body so that it doesn't work it the armour is penetrated by an anti-tank round...

I'm NOT saying that is how we should do it, I'm just saying it would work if all you cared about was tank combat: obviously however we do it , it has to be in a far wider context. That can be done too, but I'd need a couple of days...:)

Re: Bestiar(ies) questions

I'm not sure what you mean by critical hits. If you've explained before and could point me at it I'd like to have a look.

Just to be clear, I'm not for a moment suggesting that Hero is not capable of modeling tanks and tank combat properly. I'm just saying it doesn't.

I mean, consistent armour penetration can be modeled by making all tank guns a 1d6 RKA, and adding X number of levels of penetrating. Tank armour is then built as 6/6 armour and Y levels of hardened: if X>Y then the gun can penetrate. Limit tank Body so that it doesn't work it the armour is penetrated by an anti-tank round...

I'm NOT saying that is how we should do it, I'm just saying it would work if all you cared about was tank combat: obviously however we do it , it has to be in a far wider context. That can be done too, but I'd need a couple of days...:)

By Critical Hits, I mean the straight from the RAW Optional Rule, "roll 1/2 or under what you need to hit and do max damage" style criticals.

People balk at them for the danger level they impart to a campaign, but once you've used them for a while, you begin to see the paradigm shift. Attacks become far more predictable, in that you know exactly how much damage a particular attack will do on a solid hit, and how much armor it will penetrate.

Makes modeling larger attacks or converting from RL stats much simpler, and reflects a certain level of accuracy without radically whacked new rules.

They also bring Normal Attacks up to par with Killing Attacks (By allowing normal attacks to hit their maximum damage, something the bell curve otherwise essentially eliminates), and give a good game-play mechanism for the Real Weapon/Real Armor approach (rather than eliminating the ability of the Real attack to do damage, you simply don't allow them to critical against inappropriate targets.)