Pathfinder Campaign book

Killer Shrike

Re: Pathfinder Campaign book

Well, the Pathfinder core game is essentially D&D 3.75, so it's getting a lot of interest from the gamers who don't want to move on the 4e. I'll have to take a good looks at the setting book to see what, if anything, distinguishes it from the standard D&D campaign setting.

One thing I wonder, not having seen the book, is whether there is an ubertheme or whether it's something you simply plug your new characters into and run through things.

Pazio also is using the "Adventure Path" style of publishing to give players things in the setting they can run right away. These seem to be taking the place of the former Dungeon magazine. Look like interesting adventures, but they'll need some adaptation of HERO.

Which brings me to a question: if you're translating a D&D adventure to HERO, is there a correlation between D&D level and the number of points in HERO a character is built upon? Or is it somewhat more complex than that given that power creep is more extravagant in the magic-using classes?

Shrike has done a huge D&D 3e to HERO System conversion, years ago. The level to points chart is here....

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/Conversion3e/Conversion3eStep1.aspx

He also converted the first Pathfinder issue to HERO System terms....here:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/Conversion3e/Pathfinder/PaizoPathfinder.aspx

So....I don't think he's asking for really basic info on Paizo or Pathfinder so much as the actual book...

Right -- I'm asking for feedback / opinions about the book itself specifically and the campaign setting it presents as a whole.

I haven't read it in detail, but I have skimmed through it more thoroughly than you can do in a bookstore: our GM has it and I've gone through it in our downtime. It seems like a pretty good buy if you were running any of the Paizo stuff and wanted to branch out into your own campaign: there's enough detail to get you started and some decent ideas for that. However there's nothing much in terms of detail. It *is* pretty generic D&D - we're not talking Eberron or Iron Kingdoms here, but that's obviously deliberate. There was nothing that made me go "wow!" but also nothing that made me wince. And as always, production values are top notch, which goes along way to towards to promoting atmosphere. I can only dream of what a book produced at this level would be like for Valdorian Age or Tuala Morn. :D

I'd say as a setting book, it's pretty good - definately ahead of the general pack.

cheers, Mark

I have it, its very DnDish so if you know Forgotten Realms, and Greyhawk its kinda related to them in flavor and nature. Its heavy on the adventuring parts, it has the usually pages dedicated to feats, and other game mechanics.

Lost kingdoms, an underdark, and forth. So if you like DnD, and Paizo´s products in general, I will say its a good book.

Anything in particular you like to know?

Yes, Im an old-skool Realms-hating Greyhawker, and a big fan of Erik Mona aka Savant Iquander.

Back in the days before he ascended to deific / professional status he was just a fanboy like you and me. ;)

We participated on some of the same online mailing lists and online resources in the good old days when TSR persecuted the sharing and support of Greyhawk -- the Interregnum as some have called it. I still have files penned by him as "Iquander" here and there in my old RPG files on various topics pertaining to Greyhawk. And the Living Greyhawk book which he had a big hand in is pure distilled awesomeness.

The thing that caught my eye about the campaign book was its clean, crisp presentation which hearkened back to the old Greyhawk boxed set style, though a much more modern version of it. That Greyhawk feel was definitely there, too. The setting felt big and epic, with lots of room to move around in. The art was mostly good, and -- a big draw -- the maps looked good (so I've got dirty secret RPG map fetish, sue me).

Anyway, it looked cool, but on the other hand one thing I _don't_ need is yet another campaign book for a setting I'll never run anything in. So...I resisted the urge to buy, but its been on my mind.

We participated on some of the same online mailing lists and online resources in the good old days when TSR persecuted the sharing and support of Greyhawk -- the Interregnum as some have called it. I still have files penned by him as "Iquander" here and there in my old RPG files on various topics pertaining to Greyhawk.

Et tu, Brute?

I still think the notes of Iquander are little adventure goldmines.