WWYCD: "Dear Superhero" (Warning: Ugly situation)

Hermit

Re: WWYCD: "Dear Superhero" (Warning: Ugly situation)

I think it's interesting that some of these "what your your character do" responses are in the form of "what would happen in your character's comic book".

Heh. Well in the cases of The Golden Revenger, The Silver Sentinel, Bronze Lantern and Dethblud, it's because they're not real characters! On the other hand, their responses are basically genre appropriate. Except maybe for Dethblud. ;)

To be honest, I wouldn't be particularly interested in playing this situation with any character.

Than again... it might work with Captain Justice and the Yowie. I'll look at them in another post.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's interesting that some of these "what your your character do" responses are in the form of "what would happen in your character's comic book".

True, but then it's also appropriate. A character exists within a certain context. A character created for a Rusty Iron campaign is sometimes going to face situations impossible in a Shining Silver campaign, and vice versa. Sometimes you have to translate things into the form they'd take in that character's world.

Captain Justice and The Yowie would respond the same way, and in fact might team up. Snowy, CJ's sidekick would probably tag along as well.

The key to the solution is in the letter:

Please. Help us. I know you must fight bad men in your country, but we have no superheroes here. Can we not borrow you for a little while? Just long enough to help my village. Last time, one of the rebels took one of the girls away. I think they are now going to sell us.

Help me protect my family, I will fight by you if you like, With a hero by my side I would not be afraid. Just come, and you will see

Basically, the only acceptable solution is one from the people of Duhu themselves. Outsiders can't really solve the problem.

So how can the Duhu-ans deal with this? Clearly, they need a leader. They need a superhero! (It's a superhero universe, after all. It's not the Real World.)

How can they get a superhero? Why, Captain Justice can train them one! And in the meantime, he, the Yowie and Snowy can keep the village safe.

And, of course, the kid who wrote the letter is just the right age to become a sidekick...

Basically, Duhu would end up like Bangalla in The Phantom.

Having said that, the name Bat-Hombre comes to mind. :eg:

PS: and the new Duhu superhero would be invited to join the Superhero Club, which was inspired by (blatantly copied from) the Club of Heroes.

Heh. Well in the cases of The Golden Revenger, The Silver Sentinel, Bronze Lantern and Dethblud, it's because they're not real characters! On the other hand, their responses are basically genre appropriate. Except maybe for Dethblud. ;)

To be honest, I wouldn't be particularly interested in playing this situation with any character.

Than again... it might work with Captain Justice and the Yowie. I'll look at them in another post.

True' date=' but then it's also appropriate. A character exists within a certain context. A character created for a Rusty Iron campaign is sometimes going to face situations impossible in a Shining Silver campaign, and vice versa. Sometimes you have to translate things into the form they'd take in that character's world.[/quote']

I didn't mean that it was a bad thing, simply that it was a very interesting way of framing the responses. In fact, It's one I'm tempted to try for a couple of my other characters.

• 2 years later...

Violating sovereign territory? I did cross a border. I have the official visas and a passport which I swear is in my real name and was certainly not obtained by bribery. While innocently wandering through your beautiful country I observed several people attacking innocent villagers. As is legal in your country and all others that I know of, I defended them using reasonable force. I had been told that some assailants wear army uniforms and so when I observed someone in army uniforms committing violent crimes I did not assume he was a member of your military. I restrained that individual with the minimum use of force. I there have been claims that the man I so restrained was in fact a member of your military. This in no way affects the legality of the situation because I reasonably believed that I was witnessing an illegal sexual assault and reasonably defended the percieved victim of that assault.

While of course you have the right to investigate violent incidents in your own country it's plain that there is no case against me. Of course if you continue to persue my extradiction I am willing to give you, and the international media, extensive footage of what happened including scenes of people in army uniforms assaulting civilians. In fact I'm prepared to deliver these to your President personally at his residence. I am informed that the roof is more than adequate to support my chosen method of transport. Please inform the bodyguards that I might be arriving so that they do not overreact. That would be unfortunate as I have no wish to injury anyone.

Yours sincerely,

Version One.

Now I've been thinking and came up with this:

Dr Prospero (my master supervillain) gets wind of this.

Long story short - he sends in what he calls a Level 2 Response Team. Consists of mercenaries to protect the village, aid workers to improve the infrastructure and living conditions (building hospitals, roads, schools etc) and political action officers to organize local cooperatives and elections.

And they would be there for the long haul. Dr Prospero plays for the long-term. He WILL save the world, dammit, even from itself.

And if anyone moans about him violating national sovereignty and using white mercenaries in black Africa he would tell them. "At least I am doing something about the problem, not just waffling and wringing my hands."

Mal would buy a plane ticket. Soon, each leader calls a meeting in a dark room and orders his troops to leave the civilians alone. Violators of these orders are found in several pieces. Also, a number of new superheroes appear, each telling how they gained their powers after being struck by strange, purple lightning. Rumor has it that a red-haired girl was seen near the sites of all of the strange lightning strikes. Mal returns home with an empty Energy X canister and a slightly duller sword.

Qurria'al, my half-demonic brick, has a rather intense "protect the innocent" psych lim. He's also almost elementally impulsive. Not believing every word in the letter, and not doing something about it, wouldn't even occur to him. On the other hand, being very unknowledgable about the wider world, he'd need help (presumably from team-mates) to even find the place. He's also not casually violent, per sé, and would give the criminals exactly one opportunity to walk away and never come back. The first time he or one of his new charges is threatened, the instigator and his entire accompanying entourage are sent on their way with a great many memorable injuries. The second group, and all others thereafter, become horrific, "heads on pikes" style warnings for what happens to those who anger the forces of .

Now I've been thinking and came up with this:

Dr Prospero (my master supervillain) gets wind of this.

Long story short - he sends in what he calls a Level 2 Response Team. Consists of mercenaries to protect the village, aid workers to improve the infrastructure and living conditions (building hospitals, roads, schools etc) and political action officers to organize local cooperatives and elections.

And they would be there for the long haul. Dr Prospero plays for the long-term. He WILL save the world, dammit, even from itself.

And if anyone moans about him violating national sovereignty and using white mercenaries in black Africa he would tell them. "At least I am doing something about the problem, not just waffling and wringing my hands."

I'm starting to like Dr.Prospero. Why is he a villain?

Because he flauts international law and acts as a law unto himself. Also, he basically blackmailed the UN into letting him invade Bermuda (I gotta make up my mind there) since he had developed a cure for AIDS. Nor is he above having people killed if he thinks the world would be a better place without them, or if they're hindering one of his plans.

Basically, his goals are laudable, but his methods are worrying. He's essentially an international vigilante.

Catrin, (being a Kazei 5 character), would take note of the letter, and immediately begin investigating the possibility of a profitable takeover of the country, and submit that report to her boss. Who's also her literal owner, since despite being a low level esper weapon, she's a replicate and therefore property.

There might be some good will publicity out of it, though, if the takeover operation is approved.

Badger-definitely will, it isnt like he hasnt been on the other side of the law before. Damn the consequences. Given his current power, he could do some big damage if he wanted to. So a 3rd world army wouldnt stand well against him. Plus, the fact he couldnt stop his own mother and sister from being murdered when a kid will probably seal the deal for him to help.

Frosty Bob-Seems like a good fight to him. "International Law? (bleep) international law." If he goes soon enough he may have time to drive by U.N. HQ and flip them the bird. (yeah, not a fan, long story).

Anyway, in both cases, they have both been on the wrong side of the law (badger) or definitely constantly skirting the law (Bob). And if they become international criminals over this. So be it, could be worse reasons to achieve that notoreity.