Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Fedifensor

Re: Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

So teleporting works, you're just still webbed? Or you actually can't teleport?

In this case, you can't teleport. It actually holds you in place. The midpower breed actually has Entangle w/ no teleport and affects desolid. No escapie for you, my sweet little morsel. Of course, you could just breakout.

I'm trying to imagine this as a series of panels in a comic book:

"Blast! Caught in their web!"

Hero tries to teleport. Goes nowhere, for no apparent reason.

"Whaaa?!"

Hero gets munched by spiderthingy.

Alas, the hero could not hope to know that the editor of this comic REALLY HATES TELEPORTING.

:P

Its not for no apparent reason. The next panel shows the evil scientist laughing, "It did work! It did work!" He then paces about his lab, "now if I can just get these strange facehugger aliens to stay ON my Skree..."

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a GM, I see Four Armed fighting as mostly a player usable ability. Agents normally dont have the skill and most players are usual spread out (one hero is flying over there, one on the ceiling over there, one in melee with me, one jus teleported by behind George, etc). Streaching makes this skill a bit better, as now you are not as limited with range. BUT, if the group is in a confined environment (like underground, closed in office, etc) then the situation changes. Here is a basic Skree (props to CoV's arachnoids):

Player: Skree
Val Char Cost
23 STR 13
18 DEX 24
18 CON 16
10 BODY 0
10 INT 0
10 EGO 0
10 PRE 0
10 COM 0
7/19 PD 2
7/15 ED 3
4 SPD 12
9 REC 0
36 END 0
31 STUN 0
18" RUN 0
2" SWIM 0
4 1/2" LEAP 0
Characteristics Cost: 70
Cost Power
15 Insect Man Hybrid: Elemental Control, 30-point powers
15 1) Carapace: Armor (12 PD/8 ED) (30 Active Points)
15 2) Piercing Claw: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (3d6+1 w/STR) (30 Active Points)
15 3) Running +12" (18" total), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (30 Active Points)
11 4) Entangle 2 1/2d6, 2 DEF, Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4) (31 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)
15 5) Venom: Drain END 3d6 (30 Active Points)
5 Spindle Like Spider Arms: Extra Limbs (4)
7 Spindle Arm Reach: Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points)
10 Spider Heritage: Clinging (normal STR)
Powers Cost: 108

Cost Skill
5 Rapid Attack (HTH) 
10 Two-Weapon Fighting (HTH) 
1 WF: Off Hand, Unarmed Combat
3 Stealth 13-
3 Teamwork 13-
Skills Cost: 22

Total Character Cost: 200
Pts. Disadvantage
15 Distinctive Features: Its a big BUG! (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Susceptibility: Insecticides 3d6 damage Instant (Uncommon)
15 Social Limitation: Considered NON-human (Frequently, Major)
15 Psychological Limitation: Bloodthirsty / Hunger (Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Aversion to Bright Light (Common, Strong)
20 Psychological Limitation: Bestial (Very Common, Strong) 
5 Unluck: 1d6
Disadvantage Points: 100
Base Points: 100
Experience Required: 0
Total Experience Available: 0
Experience Unspent: 0

As a more advanced agent, they are not a huge threat solo to a prime (they would be nasty in a Dark Champions or Street Champion game though). In packs however, they would be nasty. As soon as one got a hold of a target the others would gang up. I made a few larger versions (a 275 version and a 350 version) and it just keeps getting more sinister. Their weakness would be energy attacks (ahem, fire), which would really make short work of the bugs.

Mini-me!

They look lean and mean. I think they are a perfect "agent upgrade" type enemy.

[edit] Can't use powers in the same framework for a Multiple Power Attack and Sweep only works with Maneuvers so please disregard my previous (now deleted) statement.

Mini-me!

They look lean and mean. I think they are a perfect "agent upgrade" type enemy. My inner munckin is creeping out...make the Drain and Entangle "No Range" and I think you will be able to Multi-power Attack with them.

The Entangle is No Range, Drain is not a ranged power and the HTH Killing Attack is no range. So, multiattack is very doable (and nasty), for the more poweful version. These are all in the same framework.

The best part about the Skree is the Social Limitation I put in: Considered NON-human. The original subjects were human, but after they had offspring, are they still? Gives a good moral delima... Blast them to cinders or try to save them. What if the players kill a 1st generation (that was human) amid the 2nd generation (that are not human). They look the same... was it murder? After all, the 1st generation was just some poor sod who became a test subject. Its not his fault. (sniff, sob) :nonp: Decisions, decisions.

The Entangle is No Range, Drain is not a ranged power and the HTH Killing Attack is no range. So, multiattack is very doable (and nasty).

The best part about the Skree is the Social Limitation I put in: Considered NON-human. The original subjects were human, but after they had offspring, are they still? Gives a good moral delima... Blast them to cinders or try to save them. What if the players kill a 1st generation (that was human) amid the 2nd generation (that are not human). They look the same... was it murder? After all, the 1st generation was just some poor sod who became a test subject. Its not his fault. (sniff, sob) :nonp: Decisions, decisions.

Bah, you caught me editing! See above. :(

Its not for no apparent reason. The next panel shows the evil scientist laughing' date=' "It did work! It did work!" He then paces about his lab, "now if I can just get these strange facehugger aliens to stay ON my Skree..."[/quote']

Rubber science is as good an explanation as any. I guess I'm just a bit wary of creating abilities with limited counters, that's all. Whenever somebody goes out of their way to preemptively ensure their power/ability will succeed, alarms go off in my head.

I'm currently GMing a game that started out with nine players (:(), all of whom were power-gaming their little butts off during the character creation process. I admit that it's made me more than a little paranoid about unstoppable abilities. ;)

~Gabriel

Rubber science is as good an explanation as any. I guess I'm just a bit wary of creating abilities with limited counters, that's all. Whenever somebody goes out of their way to preemptively ensure their power/ability will succeed, alarms go off in my head.

I'm currently GMing a game that started out with nine players (:(), all of whom were power-gaming their little butts off during the character creation process. I admit that it's made me more than a little paranoid about unstoppable abilities. ;)

~Gabriel

As the GM it is our job to make sure the villians powers/abilities succe... oh snap... I mean... :P

In the current set of applicants I do not think anyone has even come forward with a desolidification character, and I can only think of one with teleport (and that would be in a VPP). Its just the way I envisoned the critters. That said, I have encounted Promethus as a player in the past. I had a powesuit/martial artist (Apparition - The Spirit of the City) hero who had desolidification. I recall getting attacked by a big wig from Promethus while I was off solo/exploring and he had the a variable advantage on his strength. I was really suprised when he grabbed me... he was suprised when I hit him with a 60 point RKA in his hand ;)

Take two. Only this one's a two-parter.

From an older edition of the local newspaper:

Taiwanese Crime Syndicate Crushed by Chinese Super-Agents

By Katherine Kilkenney

Free-Lance Reporter

Daily News, Thebes

The Chinese government issued a statement early this morning declaring the success of a daring raid into the heart of the occupied island of Taiwan.

According to official sources, half a dozen Chinese super-soldiers backed by hundreds of conventional troops arrested or killed nearly all of the Heavenly Immortals, the controlling members of Taiwan's most organized criminal network. Civilian casualties are reported to have been few, but there has been no statement from the Chinese government regarding their own losses during what was by all reports a brief but extremely violent resistance by the beleaguered criminals. Eyewitnesses report that the sound of gunfire was nearly constant for several hours, occasionally punctuated by explosions and muffled shouting.

The height of the raid came with the capture of the notorious Chinese revolutionary national known as Ao Kuang, who founded the Heavenly Immortals after fleeing the mainland nearly five years ago. Believed to be immortal and possess direct control over the element of water, the supervillain put two of the Chinese super-agents and an unspecified number of soldiers in the hospital before his capture could finally be achieved.

Chinese officials have made no reference to the fate of the Syndicate's leader, but it can only be assumed that Ao Kuang will join China's other metahuman criminals in the fortress-like gulag that is their only Prime-ready containment facility.

This bloody day marks the end of an era for organized crime in Taiwan. The Heavenly Immortals instituted their own brand of justice in the cities under their control, supplanting local law enforcement agencies and driving rival gangs out of urban areas. With the return of direct government intervention, life is going to change for citizens who had for the most part grown accustomed to the rule of Ao Kuang's personal army.

And from a much more recent edition:

Taiwanese Crime Boss Escapes Chinese Gulag

By Katherine Kilkenney

Regional Editor

Daily News, Thebes

Sources in mainland China report that the superhuman known populary as Ao Kuang ("Dragon Sea King") has ecaped from mainland China's only metahuman containment facility after nearly 15 years of incarceration.

Although no statement has yet been issued by the Chinese government, an official that spoke on the condition of anonymity has made it known that Ao Kuang has become the first supervillain to escape China's reputedly impregnable super-prison.

While details about the escape are scarce, it has been reported by local Chinese news stations that the mystically empowered criminal's first action as a free man was to break into the heavily guarded national armory. While the Chinese government has not released information regarding what was taken, expert criminologist Armstrong Fielding, PHD, maintains that he could only have been interested in one thing: the return of his unique 3rd century armor.

"Criminals that happen to be Primes are just that: criminals first and Primes second. Like all criminals, they're ultimately predictable. The Chinese military should have known that his first business would be an attempt to retrieve his most treasured possession."

Professor Fielding believes that Ao Kuang will most likely avoid his old haunts, such as the island of Taiwan, which will make locating him far more difficult. "Ao Kuang has a surprisingly normal psychological profile, and that's going to make him hard to predict. It's the psychopaths who're the easiest to recapture."

The Minister of Armed Forces has already come under political fire for allowing this situation to escalate. Only the swift apprehension of the escaped criminal can salvage what is quickly becoming a national fiasco.

I made no attempt to directly connect anything to Thebes, aside from the name of the newspaper. Hopefully that will avoid any background complications.

~Gabriel

I like all of it. Now, you just need to determine if the Chinese Media is labeling you a "criminal" in a true sense, or are you a revolutionary? If the true purpose of your organization was to push towards an end of Chinese Communsist rule, you could be a hero in very sense of the word. OR you could just be trying to topple their regime to put your own in its stead. Or you could have a dozen other interests in doing what you did.

The BIG picture is how are you going to interact with the party once it is formed? Somone who is playing a Capt. Whitebread will not play with you if he thinks you are a communist just grasping for power.

I think he was a child raised on all of the old legends and myths that communism frowns upon. Just when he was getting old enough to see that the world isn't as ideal as we're all told when we're young, he discovered that he was a Prime. Given the fact that he's older, I'm thinking he was one of the early Chinese Primes after superpowers became public knowledge. Still a teenager (probably 19 or so), he got involved in anti-Communist protests and became noticed by the public when he used his powers to fight against riot police that were breaking up a demonstration. Fleeing to Taiwan, he acquired a following and overthrew regional control in a few cities before getting arrested and thrown in the gulag.

I don't know if I'd say that he's a hero anymore, but that's certainly how he saw himself before he got sent to prison. Fifteen years of hard labor will change anyone, even if he was arrested for doing something he believed in. I imagine he didn't discover his immortality until the guards and other inmates started aging while he remained in his prime. That, combined with the depression of being incarcerated, probably grew into a massive superiority complex.

I'd say his heart is in the right place, but he doesn't identify with people very well anymore. He's used to being alone, and he's beginning to realize what it means to watch everyone age and die around you. He'd be offended if anyone called him a Communist, and he doesn't think of himself as a criminal. I'm just not sure if he thinks of himself as a revolutionary anymore, either.

~Gabriel

I will take a hard look at the character to see if there is anything I can shave points from to improve his normal form. I don't think it will hurt my concept at all' date=' I'm just not sure where to sacrifice points.[/quote']

I have a few ideas. See below.

I'll wait to hear from Fed in regards to the Four Arms build. If he's not feeling it for his game (which I'm totally cool with) I will probably scrap the character and submit a new one.

I'm just not that comfortable with the Rapid Fire/Two-Weapon Fighting build. However, I'd be willing to allow an Autofire build, with GM permission to use autofire for grab (at the lower STR score). Other maneuvers may also be allowed with GM permission.

Now, you asked about shaving points. Since I've offered up possible writeups for other applicants, I decided to give Rhino Beetle the same treatment. See below.

Rhino Beetle - Seth Potter

VAL...CHA...Cost...Total...Roll......Notes

15....STR.....5....15/65...12-/22-...HTH Damage 3d6/13d6 END [1/4]

14....DEX....12....14/17...12-.......OCV 5/6 DCV 5/6

13....CON.....6....13/33...12-/16-

10....BODY....0....10/14...11-/12-

18....INT.....8....18......13-.......PER Roll 13-

14....EGO.....8....14......12-.......ECV: 5

10....PRE.....0....10/20...11-/13-...PRE Attack: 2d6 / 4d6

14....COM.....2....14......12-

7.....PD......4....7/30..............7/30 PD (7/18 rPD)

6.....ED......3....6/28..............6/28 ED (6/11 rED)

3.....SPD.....6....3/4...............Phases: 4, 8, 12/3, 6, 9, 12

6.....REC.....0....6/22

26....END.....0....26/66

25....STUN....0....25/64

6.....RUN.....0....6"................END [1]

2.....SWIM....0....2"................END [1]

3.....LEAP....0....3"/13"............3"/13" forward, 1 1/2"/6 1/2" upward

CHA Cost: 54

Cost...POWERS

.......Rhino Beetle Form, all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

70.....1) Triple Attack: +50 STR, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/2) (87 Active Points) [Notes: Can attack with strike and grab with 50 STR (3 END, or 9 END for 3-shot autofire). Grabs made via autofire have 50 STR until the grab is reapplied (requiring a non-autofire attack). Other maneuvers are at GM discretion.] - END=3

7......2) +3 DEX (9 Active Points)

32.....3) +20 CON (40 Active Points)

6......4) +4 BODY (8 Active Points)

8......5) +10 PRE (10 Active Points)

10.....6) +13 PD (13 Active Points)

14.....7) +18 ED (18 Active Points)

8......8) +1 SPD (10 Active Points)

3......9) +2 REC (4 Active Points)

4......10) Four Arms: Extra Limbs (2) (5 Active Points)

8......11) Multiattack: +2 with HTH Combat (10 Active Points)

11.....12) Dark Matter Exoskeleton: Damage Resistance (18 PD/11 ED) (14 Active Points)

4......13) Reach: Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points); no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4)

6......14) Heavy and Sturdy: Knockback Resistance -4" (8 Active Points)

8......15) Antennae: Targeting with Normal Smell (10 Active Points)

8......16) Insect Grip: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points)

4......17) Insectoid Mind: Mental Defense (8 points total) (5 Active Points)

12.....Rhino Beetle: Elemental Control, 30-point powers, (15 Active Points); all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

12.....1) Horn: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (3d6 / 4d6 w/STR) (vs. ED) (30 Active Points) - END=3

8......2) Wings: Flight 15" (30 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2) - END=3

POWERS Cost: 243

Cost...SKILLS

10......+1 Overall

5.......+1 with INT-based skills

3.......Analyze: Technology 13-

3.......Computer Programming 13-

3.......Deduction 13-

3.......Electronics 13-

3.......Inventor 13-

3.......Mechanics 13-

3.......Tactics 13-

3.......Teamwork 12-

3.......Scientist

2.......1) SS: Biomechanics (INT-based) 13- (3 Active Points)

2.......2) SS: Engineering (INT-based) 13- (3 Active Points)

2.......3) SS: Particle Physics (INT-based) 13- (3 Active Points)

2.......4) SS: Theoretical Physics (INT-based) 13- (3 Active Points)

SKILLS Cost: 50

Cost...PERKS

1.......Vehicles & Bases

PERKS Cost: 1

Cost...TALENTS

2.......Resistance (2 points)

TALENTS Cost: 2

Value..DISADVANTAGES

15.....Social Limitation: Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major

20.....Normal Characteristic Maxima

5......Reputation: Mad Scientist, 11- (Known Only To A Small Group)

10.....Distinctive Features: Humanoid Rhinocerous Beetle (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5......Physical Limitation: Large size (in Hero ID) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

5......Physical Limitation: Affected as both human and animal class of minds (in Hero ID) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

10.....Susceptibility: Insecticides (in Hero ID) 2d6 damage per Minute (Instant versus attacks) (Uncommon)

20.....Hunted: Promethius 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

10.....Hunted: Mystery Supervillain 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

15.....Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Very Common, Moderate)

15.....Psychological Limitation: Scientific Curiosity (Common, Strong)

10.....Psychological Limitation: Impulsive (Common, Moderate)

10.....Psychological Limitation: Afraid his inventions will be used for evil (Uncommon, Strong)

DISADVANTAGES Points: 150

Base Pts: 200

Exp Required: 0

Total Exp Available: 0

Exp Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 350

Oh, and I did as you asked with Sgt. Pepper. I also explained a few of the odder disads in notes.

The concept at the heart of this is "Magical Girl becomes Sorceress-somewhat-Supreme, never finds time to give up old costume". The costume can change, but the idea is that it's supposed to be a little ridiculous (and not taken very seriously, even by the heroine herself).

Sergeant Pepper

Player:

Val Char Cost

13 STR 3

17 DEX 21

14 CON 8

14 BODY 8

18 INT 8

23 EGO 26

10 PRE 0

18 COM 4

3/28 PD 0

3/28 ED 0

4 SPD 13

14 REC 16

32 END 2

28 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2 1/2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 109

Cost Power

18 Mr. Kite's Abjuration: Elemental Control, 36-point powers

19 1) Force Field (15 PD/15 ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (37 Active Points)

19 2) Flight 15", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (37 Active Points)

20 Basic Wards: Armor (10 PD/10 ED) (30 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Reduced Physical Sense; -1/2)

5 The World Bends To My Will!: Luck 1d6

5 Mental Wards: Mental Defense (10 points total)

30 I'll break your defenses with LOVE!: Find Weakness 13- with Magical Attacks

40 I'm not the best mage, but I'll have to do: Multipower, 40-point reserve

4u 1) Blackbird: Energy Blast 8d6 (40 Active Points)

2u 2) We Can Work It Out: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack) (20 Active Points)

8m 3) Sgt. Pepper's Shield I: Force Wall (14 PD) (Alterable Size) (40 Active Points)

8m 4) Sgt. Pepper's Shield II: Force Wall (14 ED) (Alterable Size) (40 Active Points)

2u 5) It was twenty years ago today... : Cosmetic Transform 8d6 (Myself into Sgt. Pepper and back) (40 Active Points); Limited Target (Myself; -1)

13 The wonder of the Apple SpellBook- lightest digital tome on the market!: Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 10 base + 3 control cost, (15 Active Points); VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only With SpellBook (-1/2)

0 1) Magical Insight- Electronic Defenses: +5 with Cryptography (10 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 8

0 2) I'll just duck out then, shall I?: Teleportation 5" (10 Active Points) Real Cost: 10

0 3) Ooh, bad tear, that: Healing BODY 1d6 (10 Active Points); Limited Power Only to Mend Clothing (-2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) Real Cost: 3

0 4) Hm, better set the Fresh Air Rune...: Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 7

0 5) Just a moment, a bit tuckered...: Aid REC 1d6 (10 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 6

0 6) The Lighter in the Thumb Trick: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point, Continuous (+1) (10 Active Points); No STR Bonus (-1/2), -2 Decreased STUN Multiplier (-1/2), Reduced Penetration (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 4

0 7) I'll just pick this up then, shall I? : Telekinesis (6 STR) (9 Active Points); Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Limited Range (-1/4) Real Cost: 5

0 8) Let's make sure that stays there, shall we? : Entangle 1d6, 1 DEF (10 Active Points); Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 7

Powers Cost: 193

Cost Skill

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Defensive Magic (3 Active Points) 13-

1 2) KS: Magic (2 Active Points) 11-

2 3) KS: Personal Wards (3 Active Points) 13-

2 4) KS: Wards (3 Active Points) 13-

3 Cryptography 13-

3 Acting 11-

3 Conversation 11-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Power: Magic 13-

3 Concealment 13-

3 Seduction 11-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Persuasion 11-

3 Computer Programming 13-

3 Scientist

1 1) SS: Archaeology 11- (2 Active Points)

1 2) SS: Chemistry 11- (2 Active Points)

1 3) SS: Linguistics 11- (2 Active Points)

Skills Cost: 46

Cost Perk

1 Money: Well Off

1 Reputation: Mage Heroine (A small to medium sized group) 8-, +1/+1d6

Perks Cost: 2

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Hunted: Astronomenon 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: The Star Mage 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Hunted: Unknown Organization, Probably The Third Eye 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

5 Hunted: Old Monster Of The Week 8- (Less Pow, Harshly Punish)

10 Dependent NPC: Arthur, Local Bookshop Owner 8- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code Vs. Killing (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Feels Naked Without Her Wards Up (Common, Strong) [Notes: Her Basic Wards have been up so long that she feels very uncomfortable removing them; this leads to some other nasty side effects (Limited Touch, DF).]

15 Psychological Limitation: Lonely (Very Common, Moderate)

5 Reputation: Bit of a Cold Fish, 8-

5 Rivalry: Professional (Astronomenon; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

5 Social Limitation: Fear of Commitment (Occasionally, Minor)

10 Social Limitation: Physically Unimposing (Frequently, Minor) [Notes: Because of ridiculous getup and relatively milquetoast Secret ID. ]

10 Social Limitation: House is Haunted (Frequently, Minor)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

'House is Haunted' indeed! Magic seems to follow her around, perhaps because of her nature, or perhaps because she hasn't mastered the Art as fully as she would like...

Note that she's just as embarrassed about the ID as any respectable human would be; this is appropriate, seeing as she came up with it her freshman year in high school, and never came up with a new one. Eventually, she might discard it if she feels she's powerful enough to deal with people interrupting her life.

Arthur and Sara have no interest in each other as of campaign start- Arthur is just going to be interested in figuring out who Pepper is. Sara, not being red-haired or ridiculous enough to get into a costume with epaulets, a double-breasted short sleeve jacket and a knee-high skirt with lots of plaits and ruffles, probably isn't in the running.

In high school, she was something of a computer whiz, so when it came time to make her own spell book, she went out and of all things got herself an Apple computer- the laptop of the time. It was as hefty as any normal tome, but she considered it would blend better with her surroundings.

She was correct, and she's upgraded every few years since then, slowly recording more and more magical knowledge into it. Her SpellBook's chassis is now a cureent, bleeding edge Titanium MacBook weighing in at a solid 2.6 pounds and still tougher than anything the world can throw at it (hey, when you know wards, EVERYTHING can be tougher than the world can throw at it).

Which brings us to the Rival, Astronomenon, and the Psychologist, a.k.a. The Star Mage.

The Star Mage was- and remains- a very powerful entity. He is probably not the Conjurer. Whoever he is, he takes a very personal hand in the training and ethical practices of young mages. He cannot be everywhere at once, and he does not rely on summoned creatures to do work for him. Indeed, as far as the affairs of the world are concerned, he appears quite silent, leaving it entirely up to his students as to how they will deal with them. "Do what you think is best, and see what happens" appears to be his motto. One thing he does take a stand on is magic running wild- he will always show up personally to stop a student who has lost control of their magic. The Star Mage Watches former students out of idle curiosity, and Hunts mages who have lost control or have gone mad.

Astronomenon was the Star Mage's other student, who feels that baseline humans are sheep to be fleeced at will. He is a terrible troublemaker and will usually play 'mild tricks' that end up ruining lives. While Sara shares some of this elitist attitude, it's not nearly so pronounced, and has the requisite addendum that the sheep must be protected long enough to be able to fleece them. Astronomenon has no compunction about killing, and after facing humiliation after humiliation from Sara Kite and Sergeant Pepper both, will not be satisfied with merely killing them. Oh, no. He has much worse in mind... In combat, Atronomenon is the Attack to Sergeant Pepper's Defense- he has attacks mostly in the 12-13 DC range, with the appropriate problem of being a glass cannon. Astronomenon Watches people he's interested in playing tricks on, and Hunts anyone who humiliates or defeats him.

[quote=Fedifensor;1782124]I have a few ideas.  See below.

I'm just not that comfortable with the Rapid Fire/Two-Weapon Fighting build.  However, I'd be willing to allow an Autofire build, with GM permission to use autofire for grab (at the lower STR score).  Other maneuvers may also be allowed with GM permission.

Now, you asked about shaving points.  Since I've offered up possible writeups for other applicants, I decided to give Rhino Beetle the same treatment.  See below.

[font="Courier New"][b]Rhino Beetle - Seth Potter[/b]

VAL...CHA...Cost...Total...Roll......Notes
15....STR.....5....15/65...12-/22-...HTH Damage 3d6/13d6  END [1/4]
14....DEX....12....14/17...12-.......OCV 5/6 DCV 5/6
13....CON.....6....13/33...12-/16-
10....BODY....0....10/14...11-/12-
18....INT.....8....18......13-.......PER Roll 13-
14....EGO.....8....14......12-.......ECV: 5
10....PRE.....0....10/20...11-/13-...PRE Attack: 2d6 / 4d6
14....COM.....2....14......12-
7.....PD......4....7/30..............7/30 PD (7/18 rPD)
6.....ED......3....6/28..............6/28 ED (6/11 rED)
3.....SPD.....6....3/4...............Phases:  4, 8, 12/3, 6, 9, 12
6.....REC.....0....6/22
26....END.....0....26/66
25....STUN....0....25/64
6.....RUN.....0....6"................END [1]
2.....SWIM....0....2"................END [1]
3.....LEAP....0....3"/13"............3"/13" forward, 1 1/2"/6 1/2" upward

CHA Cost: 54

Cost...POWERS
.......Rhino Beetle Form, all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
70.....1)  [i]Triple Attack:[/i] +50 STR, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/2) (87 Active Points) [Notes: Can attack with strike and grab with 50 STR (3 END, or 9 END for 3-shot autofire).  Grabs made via autofire have 50 STR until the grab is reapplied (requiring a non-autofire attack).  Other maneuvers are at GM discretion.] - END=3
7......2)  +3 DEX (9 Active Points) 
32.....3)  +20 CON (40 Active Points) 
6......4)  +4 BODY (8 Active Points) 
8......5)  +10 PRE (10 Active Points)
10.....6)  +13 PD (13 Active Points) 
14.....7)  +18 ED (18 Active Points) 
8......8)  +1 SPD (10 Active Points) 
3......9)  +2 REC (4 Active Points)
4......10) [i]Four Arms:[/i] Extra Limbs  (2) (5 Active Points) 
8......11) [i]Multiattack:[/i] +2 with HTH Combat (10 Active Points) 
11.....12) [i]Dark Matter Exoskeleton:[/i] Damage Resistance (18 PD/11 ED) (14 Active Points) 
4......13) [i]Reach:[/i] Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points); no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4) 
6......14) [i]Heavy and Sturdy:[/i] Knockback Resistance -4" (8 Active Points) 
8......15) [i]Antennae:[/i] Targeting with Normal Smell (10 Active Points) 
8......16) [i]Insect Grip:[/i] Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points) 
4......17) [i]Insectoid Mind:[/i] Mental Defense (8 points total) (5 Active Points) 
12.....Rhino Beetle: Elemental Control, 30-point powers,  (15 Active Points); all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 
12.....1)  [i]Horn:[/i] Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (3d6 / 4d6 w/STR) (vs. ED) (30 Active Points) - END=3
8......2)  [i]Wings:[/i] Flight 15" (30 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2) - END=3

POWERS Cost: 243

Cost...SKILLS
10......+1 Overall
5.......+1 with INT-based skills
3.......Analyze:  Technology 13-
3.......Computer Programming 13-
3.......Deduction 13-
3.......Electronics 13-
3.......Inventor 13-
3.......Mechanics 13-
3.......Tactics 13-
3.......Teamwork 12-
3.......Scientist
2.......1)  SS:  Biomechanics (INT-based) 13- (3 Active Points)
2.......2)  SS:  Engineering (INT-based) 13- (3 Active Points)
2.......3)  SS:  Particle Physics (INT-based) 13- (3 Active Points)
2.......4)  SS:  Theoretical Physics (INT-based) 13- (3 Active Points)

SKILLS Cost: 50

Cost...PERKS
1.......Vehicles & Bases

PERKS Cost: 1

Cost...TALENTS
2.......Resistance (2 points)

TALENTS Cost: 2
Value..DISADVANTAGES
15.....Social Limitation:  Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major
20.....Normal Characteristic Maxima
5......Reputation:  Mad Scientist, 11- (Known Only To A Small Group)
10.....Distinctive Features:  Humanoid Rhinocerous Beetle (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
5......Physical Limitation:  Large size (in Hero ID) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
5......Physical Limitation:  Affected as both human and animal class of minds (in Hero ID) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
10.....Susceptibility:  Insecticides (in Hero ID) 2d6 damage per Minute (Instant versus attacks) (Uncommon)
20.....Hunted:  Promethius 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
10.....Hunted:  Mystery Supervillain 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)
15.....Psychological Limitation:  Overconfident (Very Common, Moderate)
15.....Psychological Limitation:  Scientific Curiosity (Common, Strong)
10.....Psychological Limitation:  Impulsive (Common, Moderate)
10.....Psychological Limitation:  Afraid his inventions will be used for evil (Uncommon, Strong)

DISADVANTAGES Points: 150

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 350[/font][/quote]

Thank you very much for the time you spent on this. I totally understand why you are not comfortable with the build. At this point he is so dramatically different from the character I originally submitted (back when he was a teenage hulking beetle), he isn't really mine anymore. I probably should have just submitted a different concept when I scrapped him the first time. I don't think I will have enough time to get a new character together before the deadline. Thank you again for your time and good luck. I hope the game goes great for you guys!

I think he was a child raised on all of the old legends and myths that communism frowns upon. Just when he was getting old enough to see that the world isn't as ideal as we're all told when we're young, he discovered that he was a Prime. Given the fact that he's older, I'm thinking he was one of the early Chinese Primes after superpowers became public knowledge. Still a teenager (probably 19 or so), he got involved in anti-Communist protests and became noticed by the public when he used his powers to fight against riot police that were breaking up a demonstration. Fleeing to Taiwan, he acquired a following and overthrew regional control in a few cities before getting arrested and thrown in the gulag.

I don't know if I'd say that he's a hero anymore, but that's certainly how he saw himself before he got sent to prison. Fifteen years of hard labor will change anyone, even if he was arrested for doing something he believed in. I imagine he didn't discover his immortality until the guards and other inmates started aging while he remained in his prime. That, combined with the depression of being incarcerated, probably grew into a massive superiority complex.

I'd say his heart is in the right place, but he doesn't identify with people very well anymore. He's used to being alone, and he's beginning to realize what it means to watch everyone age and die around you. He'd be offended if anyone called him a Communist, and he doesn't think of himself as a criminal. I'm just not sure if he thinks of himself as a revolutionary anymore, either.

~Gabriel

Sounds good.

Thank you very much for the time you spent on this. I totally understand why you are not comfortable with the build. At this point he is so dramatically different from the character I originally submitted (back when he was a teenage hulking beetle), he isn't really mine anymore. I probably should have just submitted a different concept when I scrapped him the first time. I don't think I will have enough time to get a new character together before the deadline. Thank you again for your time and good luck. I hope the game goes great for you guys!

Don't despair, Fed will make his picks for Silverstone this Friday. However, you have almost another month to submit characters for Thebes.

I honestly think character creation in a point based system is very much like writing. Don't fall in love with the first thing you put down on paper. You go back, edit you own work and it changes a bit. Then you have someone else look over your work and it changes again. The you go back and look over what your editor did and it changes again, and so on. The base concept of the four armed beatle person is still intact, its just your run thru the editor made some changes.

If Fed and I were NOT heavy role players I don't think your original character concept would have changed, except balancing. However, we want the game to be enjoyable for everyone AND heavy on role play. We have both run into games were we have children heroes mixed with adults and the friction is huge. All it takes is one Capt. Whitebread prime to find out you are a child and they probably will not group with you. They will do (and have done) everything in their power to make sure you do not go into danger. The point is simple, if you were injured or (gasp) killed, it would devistate the character. How could they live with themselves letting a child continue to get into harms way. Now if we were playing Prime High or Teen Mutants, moot point. The background of the game would be teenager so adults would HAVE to make characters would could interact with children. Since we have a standard adult game however, children primes are a tough nut to crack.

In Thebes, the powerlevels are the same as Silverstone except I have a higher skill minimum. If you want to make a child hero, hit the skill minimum, and can keep a Secret ID then you are welcome to submit Rhino Beetle. It will come up when that character will want to let a person or two know they are a Prime. If one of the Capt. Whitebread's find out, it is going to change to makeup of the group. Such a small thing has killed a Champion game before (Feds back in the early 90s) and put a hammer on one of mine (back in the late 90s). People take 20 point disads (Protect the Innocent being just one of them) and a kid is in the group, expect a LOT of headaches. I honestly dont want that headache and I dont want to scrape a game because of one persons choice in role playing.

I still need feedback on the background I sent you. It's a little sketchy as an origin story (it needs to be seriously fleshed out/revised' date=' I know), but could I get more feedback other than the initial, please?[/quote']

(Posted from my G1 phone)

I downloaded the HD file, and I'll look it over today. Here's a few more thoughts to tide you over until then.

× Still getting a strong 'fad'/Dazzleresque feel. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I run a bit more serious of a campaign than Zac plans for Thebes. For example, you won't see a "mole man" invasion in Silverstone...but you might in Thebes. Now, there are many serious elements in your background as well. It's just that the tone seems to match Thebes better.

× The first thing I thought when hearing the name "Astronomenon" was the Astrologer from the early Wild Cards novels (which, as an aside, have an Iron Age feel. I'm getting the feeling that the Star Mage's motivations aren't altruistic if he allowed Ryan to learn from him despite his villainous leanings...

* As for the Sergeant Pepper persona, I'm getting the "cute anime girl" vibe from her (dare I say 'Sailor Moon'). Again, this contributes to my opinion that the character may not be serious enough for Silverstone.

Zac may give you more to work with, but I won't be able to give detailed feedback until late this afternoon.

(Posted from my G1 phone)

I downloaded the HD file, and I'll look it over today. Here's a few more thoughts to tide you over until then.

× Still getting a strong 'fad'/Dazzleresque feel. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I run a bit more serious of a campaign than Zac plans for Thebes. For example, you won't see a "mole man" invasion in Silverstone...but you might in Thebes. Now, there are many serious elements in your background as well. It's just that the tone seems to match Thebes better.

× The first thing I thought when hearing the name "Astronomenon" was the Astrologer from the early Wild Cards novels (which, as an aside, have an Iron Age feel. I'm getting the feeling that the Star Mage's motivations aren't altruistic if he allowed Ryan to learn from him despite his villainous leanings...

* As for the Sergeant Pepper persona, I'm getting the "cute anime girl" vibe from her (dare I say 'Sailor Moon'). Again, this contributes to my opinion that the character may not be serious enough for Silverstone.

Zac may give you more to work with, but I won't be able to give detailed feedback until late this afternoon.

(Posting under the influence of 7.5 mg Loritabs from home)

I am not entirely sure if I want a wimisical game. I am planning some more silver age material and some of it could seem corney in todays comics (Mole Man not with standing :rolleyes:)

The campaign will be drawn from "todays" headline, some of it some me and the remainder from character submissions. You make a hunted then I make a villian/villian orgainization. I am hoping some of them will overlap but some just won't.

Right now I am looking to fill 6 slots. If I don't get 6, then I will bring in NPC heroes to take up the slack. If I only get two or three however... I will have to rethink the game.

Okay, this is going to focus on the character sheet.

Characteristics: There's nothing wrong with a lack of optimization...but later on you're saving points from things that seem a bit suspect. So, my suggestions would include the following.

• Either lower CON to 13, or raise to 18
  • BODY could be a bit lower - it's unusual to see a higher BODY than CON in a superhero-level game.
  • EGO is quite high, especially since you don't really have any attacks that depend on it. You're a starting mage with an area of specialty...I think this should be lowered to 17 or 18.
  • PRE is a bit low, considering your training. Your hero ID is flamboyant enough that I would expect this to be a few points higher.
  • PD/ED will be addressed when I get to powers.

Powers: My first concern is your resistant defenses. Yes, you fall under the guidelines of Brick defenses, given your DEX and SPD. But having 25 of your 28 defenses as resistant seems a bit high. I'd rather see a few more points of nonresistant PD/ED, and a few less points of Armor or FF.

Second, I'm uncomfortable with the -1/2 side effect on your armor. I think it's better represented with a disadvantage (physical limitation) than something that saves you 10 character points.

Third, you have Find Weakness 13- with magical attacks...but your only magical attack strong enough to hurt a supervillain (or even an agent in armor) is the 8d6 EB. You could save 10 points by reducing FW to just work with that attack.

Fourth, changing only with your spellbook, when the spellbook is portable enough to be carried with you and is nearly impossible to damage, doesn't seem like it's worth a -1/2 limitation.

Skills: Taking Science: Linguistics seems strange when you haven't bought any languages. Also, without any combat levels or penalty skill levels versus range, you will miss a LOT. As in, don't expect to hit much. You have a 6 OCV, which drops to a 4 OCV against a target a mere 5 hexes away from you.

Disadvantages: Some of the disads need more explanation (such as Social Lim: House is Haunted). "Could have been a model" is Easily Concealable...beauty isn't that hard to hide. I don't think Physically Unimposing is an appropriate Social Limitation.