Dodging bullets. Really.

BigJackBrass

Re: Dodging bullets. Really.

Can you imagine being the test pilot for that suit?!?!?! :eek:

Btw

- Wouldn't it hurt rather a lot when the suit jolted you out of the way?

- And what about if the bullet was heading for your chest? Would the suit spring one of your legs and kick-jump you off to one side?

Amazing what people will patent though... good link BJB!

Here's thefirearmblog's entry with some comments from, erm, well, fans of firearms I suppose... http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/02/12/ibm-files-matrix-style-bullet-dodging-patent/

Wouldn't it hurt rather a lot when the suit jolted you out of the way?

Presumably less than if it failed to do so ;)

A pity it's been withdrawn, though. Mind you, now that the idea is out there I suppose this means that, as it isn't patented, then anyone can have a go at building it...

Nerve pulses travel at over 300mph, and if stimulated via external electrical units you can cause voluntary muscles to move in fractions of second (reflex arcs are a example of this). Could move your body in a direction to reduce or even prevent damage. Possible.

But, the system would cause muscle, tendon, ligament, and bone damage if the opposite muscles do not relax in time for the other muscles to contract. You could in theory solve this problem.

Must agree with other posters body armor cheaper, more effective, less painful than this.

I did graduate work in neuroscience, so this is up my alley.