Looking for ideas: Power based Martial Arts

OK, I started thinking of a character, and just can't get the brain cranking.

The idea is a Martial Art based around Power Builds and Martial Maneuvers both. Because I want some of the abilities to be kind of above and beyond - bordering on Wuxia or at least above "real world" . . .

The special effect is named after Wind and like effects (Hurricane's Blade, Whirwind, etc).

I got as far as some thoughts, but like I said, brain won't crank.

Leaping; Only Usable With Passing Strike

Area OF Effect Naked Advantages for whirlwinds and charging down a line both (Radius 1" and Line)

But, yeah, I ran out. What are some cool ideas you guys got out there?

Re: Looking for ideas: Power based Martial Arts

I don't know about different sfx so much but a simplier way to build the various mechanics is a Variable Advantaged HA @ ~ half the total damage you want the character to be able to do. It's a lot cleaner, damage adding wise, than using Naked Advantages for STR.

Good point. I would like to be used with both empty hand and weapons.

I suppose a Naked AoE for weapons would also be in order.

I think you can define a Group Naked Advantage as covering both emtpy hand and weapons (i.e. the group could be defined as "MA Maneuvers and Weapon Elements, including those built as powers".)

Are you familiar with Avatar, the Last Air Bender (links below)? His martial arts style was based on the real style of Baguazhang and his airbending maneuvers utilized tons of air effects that could be built with things like like Leaping (you already have this one), Force Wall (like an AE Missile Deflection, I would build the maneuver with the Instant limtation), Attacks that generate large cyclones (AoE Cone) or powerful gusts of wind (Double Knockback). The series may provide you with some inspiration (in my area it can be on-demanded).

A few more maneuvers off the top of my head; the abiiity to sense air currents (Spatial Awareness, not through solid objects), powerful throws (a few inches of flight, UAA), and maybe an NND suffocation maneuver (like Choke Hold but with a strike instead of a grab). I hope these suggestion help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar:_The_Last_Airbender

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbending#Airbending

Or you put it in a Multi...

Chi Wind Unity Art Multi (X)

u HA +X Vari Adv

u HKA +X Vari Adv

u RKA +X Vari Adv

u E-Atk +X Vari Adv

If all that is needed of course, most likely only the first two are nessisary.....personally I'd add vari special effect to the multi to match the base effect, or substitute "Wind" as the special effect....pay +1 pt to use your art with Wind Chi, and it's all good...

I think you can define a Group Naked Advantage as covering both emtpy hand and weapons (i.e. the group could be defined as "MA Maneuvers and Weapon Elements, including those built as powers".)

Are you familiar with Avatar, the Last Air Bender (links below)? His martial arts style was based on the real style of Baguazhang and his airbending maneuvers utilized tons of air effects that could be built with things like like Leaping (you already have this one), Force Wall (like an AE Missile Deflection, I would build the maneuver with the Instant limtation), Attacks that generate large cyclones (AoE Cone) or powerful gusts of wind (Double Knockback). The series may provide you with some inspiration (in my area it can be on-demanded).

A few more maneuvers off the top of my head; the abiiity to sense air currents (Spatial Awareness, not through solid objects), powerful throws (a few inches of flight, UAA), and maybe an NND suffocation maneuver (like Choke Hold but with a strike instead of a grab). I hope these suggestion help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar:_The_Last_Airbender

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbending#Airbending

I'm aware of Avatar, but have no seen any of it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

naked advantages for double knockback

NND strikes that need no need to breath for the defense as you have just sucked the air from his lungs

30" of gliding down so no fall will ever hurt you

A rarely used, but interesting, way to get some of the Wuxia feel is to pick up Duplication (cannot recombine). This gives you the freedom to do things you cannot normally do (even with Sweep) such things as Missile Deflect and launch an attack in the same phase; launch both HTH and ranged attacks in the same phase; etc.

Shows what I know.

It might have appeared in Ultimate Vehicle as well. I don't have the book handy, I'm just using the handy 'notes' feature within Hero Designer.

There was another (+1/2) Advantage called 'Sideways Maneuverability' that appeared in UV as well but I don't see it in HD (but maybe it only shows up when building a vehicle instead of character).

It might have appeared in Ultimate Vehicle as well. I don't have the book handy, I'm just using the handy 'notes' feature within Hero Designer.

There was another (+1/2) Advantage called 'Sideways Maneuverability' that appeared in UV as well but I don't see it in HD (but maybe it only shows up when building a vehicle instead of character).

Sideways Maneuverability is (generally) for hover vehicles. It's been a long while, but I used it on John Wrath's original PRIMUS Flying Car back in the day. It works really well actually; it just takes some getting used to.

There's also another variation on that for going backwards IIRC (vehicles usually have stall issues), but I can't recall ever using it.