Music during sessions?

Ragnarok

Do you folks play music as a background for your sessions? If so, what do you play?

I'm trying to compile a list of possible music that might enhance my campaign. I have some Celtic stuff, but I'm looking for more epic battle music, or maybe some tribal drum stuff.

Any suggestions?

Re: Music during sessions?

I do a lot. I theme music for different genres/styles of game.

For instance, for the Metascape II game - I play a lot of the Half Life 1&2 soundtracks, it's the right mix of scifi and action for that system/setting.

My Western Shores playlist was a mixture of Basil Poledouris, Danny Elfman and the AVP soundtrack

My Capes playlist (for the RPG of the same name) was John Williams, Gatchaman soundtrack, James Bond and Lain.

For Cyberpunk I used songs from the Buffy series and Alias as well as the Hellsing and Resident Evil soundtracks and Half Life.

Dogs in the Vineyard - Johnny Cash, Hellsing again, O Brother Where Art Thou and Silent Hill 3

Paranoia - the System Shock sountracks and fanmixes as well as various MODs

Very rarely do we use any background music. I can't recall any used during a Fantasy Hero game. We used a lot of the Ghost in the Shell and Black Lagoon soundtracks during a short-lived Cyber Hero campaign. We also use the soundtrack CD that comes with the board game Last Night on Earth, when we play that game. Usually no one bothers with background music.

We have a large group (eight) so the table talk is usually a problem and background music just causes people to talk louder. Personally I rarely am even aware of music on the rare occations we have any, I guess my mind just filters it out.

I started using music for my game after I noticed how effective it was when out Runequest GM did it: he had mix CDs with background music, ominous music, fight music, etc.

These days I have my laptop at the table with my iTunes library and playlists for various atmospheres. I stream the music to the stereo. That way I can kick up whatever I need in a few seconds. One key point - it's background music and should almost always be played softly. If people have to talk louder to be heard over it, I think that's too intrusive.

For example, the "background" is mixture of the LoTR soundtrack, some Celtic, Scandinavian and classical. "Ominous music" has a variety of Ennio Morricone tracks (there's nothing like kicking "The Thing" up when the players are exploring some scary old ruins!), plus stuff like Arvo Part. I also have "Triumphal music" (marches and stuff) which I play when the players win a big fight, or otherwise do good. It's interesting how that perks them up. "Fight music" is mostly the livelier parts of LoTR and some more peppy classical stuff - I'd be interested in recommendations, though, since that's the part I am least happy with.

cheers, Mark

Yes, but avoid music with words (unless they are so part of the song they sound like instruments, such as Enya's work). Soundtracks to movies like Conan and Lord of the Rings works well. Just keep it fairly quiet so it doesn't interfere with conversation.

Incidentally a lot of game soundtracks have good game music: Everquest's music is all in MP3s on your system for example. Think about cool songs from games you've played like Diablo and so on, they can be useful mixes for music and most games have "fight" themes. I found the music from Morrowind and Heroes of Might and Magic III great stuff for games.

Fantasy Battle mix:

Prologue/Anvil Of Crom.....2:37.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....42

Riddle Of Steel/ Riders Of Doom.....5:38.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....40

The Gift Of Fury.....3:51.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....41

Atlantean Sword.....3:52.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....43

Theology/ Civilisation.....3:15.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....42

Wifeing-Love Theme.....2:12.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....40

The Leaving/ The Search.....6:01.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....45

Mountain Of Power Procession.....3:23.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....37

Recovery.....2:13.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....41

The Orgy/ The Kitchen.....6:32.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....39

The Funeral Pyre.....4:31.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....40

Battle Of The Mounds Pt.1.....4:54.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....40

Death Of Rexor Pt.2.....5:36.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....45

Orphans Of Doom/ The Awakening.....5:33.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....36

Main Title - Riders Of Taramis.....3:38.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....46

Valeria Remembered.....3:08.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....49

Elite Guard Attacks.....2:25.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....43

Crystal Palace.....6:14.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....40

Dream Quest.....1:31.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....41

Approach To Shadizaar.....2:44.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....40

The Scrolls Of Skelos.....2:25.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....43

Illusion's Lake.....1:18.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....45

Conan & Bombaata Battle.....2:30.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....45

Another Brick in Hadrian's Wal.....7:12.....Hans Zimmer.....King Arthur.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....36

The Brigde Of Khazad Dum.....5:57.....Howard Shore.....The Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....45

Skull and Crossbones.....3:24.....Klaus Badelt.....Pirates of the Caribbean.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....44

Battle I.....3:25.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....51

Battle II.....1:16.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....49

Battle III.....2:37.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....46

Battle IV.....2:02.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....50

Battle V.....2:42.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....46

Battle VI.....2:27.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....47

Battle VII.....2:20.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....47

Semantics.....2:42.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....45

Viking Heads.....1:33.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....56

The Sword Maker.....2:10.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....42

The Horns Of Hell.....3:28.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....52

The Fire Dragon.....4:56.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....49

The Cave Of Death.....3:03.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....46

Swing Across.....1:52.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....44

Mother Wendol's Cave.....4:15.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....49

Underwater Escape.....1:39.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....44

Valhalla / Viking Victory.....10:39.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....40

General Fantasy Mix:

Prologue/Anvil Of Crom.....2:37.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....42

Riddle Of Steel/ Riders Of Doom.....5:38.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....40

The Gift Of Fury.....3:51.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....41

Atlantean Sword.....3:52.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....43

Theology/ Civilisation.....3:15.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....42

Wifeing-Love Theme.....2:12.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....40

The Leaving/ The Search.....6:01.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....45

Mountain Of Power Procession.....3:23.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....37

Recovery.....2:13.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....41

The Orgy/ The Kitchen.....6:32.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....39

The Funeral Pyre.....4:31.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....40

Battle Of The Mounds Pt.1.....4:54.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....40

Death Of Rexor Pt.2.....5:36.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....45

Orphans Of Doom/ The Awakening.....5:33.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Barbarian.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....36

Main Title - Riders Of Taramis.....3:38.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....46

Valeria Remembered.....3:08.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....49

Elite Guard Attacks.....2:25.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....43

Crystal Palace.....6:14.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....40

Dream Quest.....1:31.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....41

Approach To Shadizaar.....2:44.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....40

The Scrolls Of Skelos.....2:25.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....43

Illusion's Lake.....1:18.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....45

Conan & Bombaata Battle.....2:30.....Basil Poledouris.....Conan The Destroyer.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....45

Progeny.....2:14.....Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerrard.....Gladiator Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....10

Woad to Ruin.....11:32.....Hans Zimmer.....King Arthur.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....7

Hold the Ice.....5:42.....Hans Zimmer.....King Arthur.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....6

Another Brick in Hadrian's Wal.....7:12.....Hans Zimmer.....King Arthur.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....36

Budget Meeting.....9:43.....Hans Zimmer.....King Arthur.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....9

All of Them!.....10:25.....Hans Zimmer.....King Arthur.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....9

The Black Rider.....2:48.....Howard Shore.....The Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....6

The Council Of Elrond.....3:49.....Enya.....The Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....34

The Brigde Of Khazad Dum.....5:57.....Howard Shore.....The Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....45

Lothlorien.....4:34.....Howard Shore / Philippa Boyens.....The Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....9

The Great River.....2:43.....Howard Shore.....The Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....9

Amon Hen.....5:02.....Howard Shore.....The Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....9

The Breaking Of The Fellowship.....7:21.....Fran Walsh and Howard Shore.....The Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....10

I Lost My Love.....4:14.....Katie Rose.....Maiden Voyage.....Celtic.....80.....12

Oceana.....5:07.....Katie Rose.....Maiden Voyage.....Celtic.....80.....10

Hans And Eva.....3:34.....Katie Rose.....Maiden Voyage.....Celtic.....80.....9

Icicles.....4:57.....Katie Rose.....Maiden Voyage.....Celtic.....80.....6

Carolyn's Draught.....4:08.....Katie Rose.....Maiden Voyage.....Celtic.....80.....12

Kathleen Astor.....3:14.....Katie Rose.....Maiden Voyage.....Celtic.....80.....8

Rushes.....3:35.....Katie Rose.....Maiden Voyage.....Celtic.....80.....11

House On The Hill.....4:38.....Katie Rose.....Maiden Voyage.....Celtic.....80.....11

Diamonds.....3:46.....Katie Rose.....Maiden Voyage.....Celtic.....80.....7

Wallflower.....4:26.....Katie Rose.....Maiden Voyage.....Celtic.....80.....7

Pretty Maid Milking Her Cow.....4:45.....Katie Rose.....Maiden Voyage.....Celtic.....80.....10

Orinoco Flow.....4:27.....Enya.....Paint The Sky With Stars: The Best Of Enya.....Celtic.....100.....50

Caribbean Blue.....3:59.....Enya.....Paint The Sky With Stars: The Best Of Enya.....Celtic.....100.....43

Book Of Days.....2:56.....Enya.....Paint The Sky With Stars: The Best Of Enya.....Celtic.....100.....30

Anywhere Is.....3:47.....Enya.....Paint The Sky With Stars: The Best Of Enya.....Celtic.....80.....31

Only If........3:20.....Enya.....Paint The Sky With Stars: The Best Of Enya.....Celtic.....100.....42

The Celts.....2:58.....Enya.....Paint The Sky With Stars: The Best Of Enya.....Celtic.....80.....29

China Roses.....4:40.....Enya.....Paint The Sky With Stars: The Best Of Enya.....Celtic.....100.....40

Shepherd Moons.....3:40.....Enya.....Paint The Sky With Stars: The Best Of Enya.....Celtic.....80.....31

Ebudæ.....1:53.....Enya.....Paint The Sky With Stars: The Best Of Enya.....Celtic.....100.....54

Storms In Africa.....4:12.....Enya.....Paint The Sky With Stars: The Best Of Enya.....Celtic.....80.....28

Watermark.....2:27.....Enya.....Paint The Sky With Stars: The Best Of Enya.....Celtic.....80.....30

On My Way Home.....3:39.....Enya.....Paint The Sky With Stars: The Best Of Enya.....Celtic.....80.....32

The Black Pearl.....2:16.....Klaus Badelt.....Pirates of the Caribbean.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....8

Skull and Crossbones.....3:24.....Klaus Badelt.....Pirates of the Caribbean.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....44

Bootstrap's Bootstraps.....2:39.....Klaus Badelt.....Pirates of the Caribbean.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....9

Battle I.....3:25.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....51

Battle II.....1:16.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....49

Battle III.....2:37.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....46

Battle IV.....2:02.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....50

Battle V.....2:42.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....46

Battle VI.....2:27.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....47

Battle VII.....2:20.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....47

Building I.....1:04.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....14

Building II.....1:11.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....15

Building III.....2:37.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....14

Building IV.....2:16.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....15

Building V.....2:32.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....13

Building VI.....1:35.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....18

Building VII.....1:31.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....15

Building VIII.....1:50.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....14

Building IX.....1:18.....Cavedog Entertainment.....Total Annihilation Soundtrack.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....12

Rolling Hills Of The Border.....3:34.....Alex Beaton.....The Water Is Wide.....Celtic.....80.....10

Both Sides The Tweed.....3:54.....Alex Beaton.....The Water Is Wide.....Celtic.....100.....24

White Squall.....4:56.....Alex Beaton.....The Water Is Wide.....Celtic.....80.....11

The Lily Of The West.....5:07.....Alex Beaton.....The Water Is Wide.....Celtic.....80.....7

Mary Ellen Carter.....5:01.....Alex Beaton.....The Water Is Wide.....Celtic.....80.....10

No Man's Land.....6:16.....Alex Beaton.....The Water Is Wide.....Celtic.....80.....9

Semantics.....2:42.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....45

Viking Heads.....1:33.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....56

The Sword Maker.....2:10.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....42

The Horns Of Hell.....3:28.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....52

The Fire Dragon.....4:56.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....49

The Cave Of Death.....3:03.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....46

Swing Across.....1:52.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....44

Mother Wendol's Cave.....4:15.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....49

Underwater Escape.....1:39.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....80.....44

Valhalla / Viking Victory.....10:39.....Alexander Courage.....The 13th Warrior.....Symphonic Fantasy.....100.....40

See Shrike has the same philosophy I do: soundtracks and game music. Why? Because both are designed to increase drama and set a scene without being intrusive or pull you into the song. You want music that helps you as you run a game, not music people will sing along with and pay attention to.

I think music during sessions can be extremely important, so long as everyone allows it to be. For the fantasy world I've been running on and off for the last 15 years (and am about to start running another era within it very soon) I actually have a personal soundtrack for it. A few good soundtracks in general that I would recommend any day of the week would be:

Legend (has lots of very ambient sounds, calming, yet VERY fantasy)

Conan The Barbarian (this one should just be a given!)

Dune (this soundtrack is soooo underrated, it's so good it's absurd)

Bram Stoker's Dracula (great for a slightly darker, tragic-feeling game)

300 (has a very epic feel, lots of intense battle music)

Eaters of The Dead (The 13th Warrior) (mixing a Northern viking feel with arabic instruments - very cool for games where the characters are meeting strange & foreign people)

Dawn of The Dead (the 2004 Musical Score - NOT the pop Soundtrack) (absurrrrdly good for scenes of desperation in a game)

Gladiator (excellent all-around soundtrack)

The Fountain (very ambient music - excellent for tragic scenes)

Also, I'd recommend "Ghosts" by Nine Inch Nails - it's 40+ instrumental/electronic songs with no lyrics, which are all very well done. There's something in there for every genre.

Game soundtracks I use include the Thief series (and fanmixes), System Shock (for scifi), Half Life 1&2 (for action), Homeworld (mystical), Arcarnum (very nice violin) and Planescape Torment. I'll have to look into the Total Annihilation one.

Legend (has lots of very ambient sounds' date=' calming, yet VERY fantasy)[/quote']Goldsmith or the pop group (Tangerine Dream?)?

In live face to face, I love music but I tend to not necessarily want to add another acronym (DJ) to the one I already have (GM). It is in those times that I want a Duplicate who can press the buttons for me while I run. :) I've considered creating mixes where I get rid of the name and make it something like Shrike's categories above. Tense ambient or relaxing combat or something. So far, I haven't gotten very far. Probably because I don't face to face game much these days.

In chat games, I tend to go strictly with text and images. That way I can choose the music I like (game soundtracks, movie soundtracks, classical, opera, etc) while my players can choose what they want (grunge, alternative, country or whatever the case is). Works out nicely.

Goldsmith or the pop group (Tangerine Dream?)?

To be honest, both versions work well in their own ways. The Goldsmith version is just fantasy all the way around, and the Tangerine Dream version has a kind of melancholy, dream-like quality to it. Although, when using the Tangerine Dream version of the Soundtrack, I'd recommend skipping a track or two - like "Love by The Sun" which is the band actually playing a song - it's pretty cheeserific, and can ruin the mood set by the rest of the soundtrack.

By the way, as cool as it is to have industrial music playing during fight scenes in movies, it doesn't work well in gaming. You can't hear anyone saying their hit rolls, etc. Maybe you could print up signs and hold them up like Wile E Coyote.

• 3 years later...

I try to use it as much as possible. I have a nice home theater system now that can do streaming music, so from now on when I host games at my place, I will stream music from the laptop. Or perhaps put together a few mixes of music and put them on a flash drive and plug it into the PS3. I want to do that with various sound effects as well so I can do scary sound effects, or perhaps nature sound effects for ambiance.

And one song that pretty much all fantasy games need to have in their playlist is The Anvil of Crom. So epic.

It's very rare these days, but I also highly recommend the various soundtracks to the original Record of the Lodoss War anime OAV. Some of the best fantasy background music ever. The soundtrack to Escaflowne is also good. For epic, sweeping battle music, Giant Robo is also quite good. Just about anything from Klaus Badelt (Pirates of the Caribbean) is good. And of course there are always the classics, my favorite for game music is Holst's The Planets.

As mentioned in other posts here, videogame music makes for great background music. Just about anything from Square Enix is pretty good, but there are legions of the stuff out there.