"I am so cute, you don't want to attack me" field

Silbeg

Ok, a little background. This power will be for Meri, a mutated beagle with telepathic and telekinetic powers. We have built this character to be a base beagle (using the build for small dog in the HSB), and then added psionic powers.

While the concept is interesting (though often annoying), Meri has had some problems taking damage. We really don't want to just add defenses (currently, with her psychokinetic force field, she has 25PD/20ED, but only 30 STUN). Her player's idea was that Meri is so cute that people just won't attack her.

We have had several ideas for such a power, such as additional DCV levels, or invisibility, but the most interesting so far would be to do a "Change Environment" to add a penalty to targetting senses.

How would you build this power (use any construct you like)? One note... it is planned to put this into her telepathy EC, which has a base of 19 points (should give you plenty of points to work with!). She currently only has 36 END, but we are considering giving her an Endurance Reserve to power her abilities, rather than from innate END (fits the concept better than a high CON stat).

Thanks!

Re: "I am so cute, you don't want to attack me" field

Just to be contrary to my own discussion above, I created this as a possibility...

20 Too Cute To Attack: Invisibility to Sight and Hearing Groups , Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2); Always On (-1/2), Only To Prevent Targeting (-1/2), Voided By Successful EGO Roll (-1/2)

Are the modifiers appropriate? Does this power do what I want it to do?

Just to be contrary to my own discussion above, I created this as a possibility...

20 Too Cute To Attack: Invisibility to Sight and Hearing Groups , Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2); Always On (-1/2), Only To Prevent Targeting (-1/2), Voided By Successful EGO Roll (-1/2)

Are the modifiers appropriate? Does this power do what I want it to do?

I would not go this route. With an average Ego of 10, that's an Ego roll regularly of 11 or less - more than likely to void it meaning the power is circumvented and the beagle is now a target.

I'd probably go with something like this:

26 I'm Just Too Cute!: Mind Control 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points), Telepathic (+1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (6" Radius; +1), Cumulative (96 points; +1 1/4) (65 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2), Set Effect (I'm Just Too Cute To Attack.; -1/2) - END=0

funny-dog-pictures-rode-agin.jpg

26 I'm Just Too Cute!: Mind Control 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points), Telepathic (+1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (6" Radius; +1), Cumulative (96 points; +1 1/4) (65 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2), Set Effect (I'm Just Too Cute To Attack.; -1/2) - END=0

This would work - after awhile of it working. If they're not aware of the beagle, it should work fine because by the time the beagle does show up, they can't do anything. However, if they see the beagle and it starts to do it's Cute power, they can attack it for awhile before the Mind Control kicks in.

We thought about that... while it would be a great power, it is just too slow to work in the way she wants.

I would not go this route. With an average Ego of 10' date=' that's an Ego roll regularly of 11 or less - more than likely to void it meaning the power is circumvented and the beagle is now a target.[/quote']

I understand that... in fact, this power won't be stopping anyone from actually attacking, just using their targeting senses on her. I will probably rule that this EGO is similar to a non-targeting PER roll... that it takes a 1/2 phase to make. It also may be an EGO vs. EGO roll instead, which would also make it more effective.

Note that we aren't really trying to make her invisible... she is quite visible, but we want to make it hard for her to be attacked.

So, anyways... any other ideas?

Precious Spirit: 7d6 Mind Control, AoE Circle (+1), 0 END (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Persistent (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (+1, only effect is invisible), Always On (-1/2), Set Effect: "I'm too cute to harm" (-1) Active: 175 Real: 70

Overbuilt and overpriced, as usual for me.

We thought about that... while it would be a great power' date=' it is just too slow to work in the way she wants.[/quote']

I'm not sure what the rules are for combining Autofire & Mental powers but this variation might solve the time issue:

30 I'm Just Too Cute! v2 (now with EXTRA munchkiness!): Mind Control 1d6 (standard effect: 3 points), Telepathic (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Indirect (Any origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/2), Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), Area Of Effect (20" Radius; +1 1/2), Cumulative (96 points; +1 1/2), Autofire (40 shots; +3) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Set Effect (I'm Just Too Cute To Attack.; -1/2) - END=0

No need to put the Affects Desolid, though; as a Mental Power, that's an automatic. The 'Indirect' is also inappropriate, especially since you have 'No Range' as well.

I'd also strip down the 20" Radius AoE if the GM permitted a low-end Megascale (1" = 100m, perhaps?) effect on the Radius. This is effective against most people, but of course 3 (or 6) points of Mental Defense will protect you against it completely.

Otherwise, nice build. I'm going to need to raid this for my supervillian squirrel.

No need to put the Affects Desolid' date=' though; as a Mental Power, that's an automatic. The 'Indirect' is also inappropriate, especially since you have 'No Range' as well....[/quote']

The ADesol was to fill out enough Advantages to hit 60 active points. It could easily be turned into extra radius for the AOE.

The Indirect is there to get past any Force Walls with Mental Defense.

Look into Change Environment. Force an EGO Roll with a failed roll indicating that the opponent must select another target. You can make the EGO Roll tougher, of course. Some especially jaded people, the blind, and dog haters would have a bonus to their EGO Roll. If your character does something like attack someone, bonuses to EGO Rolls all 'round!

30 I'm Just Too Cute! v2 (now with EXTRA munchkiness!): Mind Control 1d6 (standard effect: 3 points)' date=' Telepathic (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Indirect (Any origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/2), Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), Area Of Effect (20" Radius; +1 1/2), Cumulative (96 points; +1 1/2), Autofire (40 shots; +3) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Set Effect (I'm Just Too Cute To Attack.; -1/2) - END=0[/quote']

That is some truly munchkin calc work. If we had a munchkin of the year award, you'd get my vote.

The only weakness in this approach is the long range sniper or 'fire and forget' missiles of course. Swapping out the 20" area of effect with a megascale warps the idea a little too much. All in all though, I'd go with it.

(photocopy, rearrange effects, past onto spare NPC sheet... they'll never know)