Underworld

csyphrett

Re: Underworld

I need to know a little about the vampires of the movie underworld. Can anybody help me?

CES

Well, they are essentially vampires in the classic sense. They are immortal. They can't withstand sunlight (unfortunately many authors/movies have been dropping this weakness lately *couTWILIGHTgh*)

They are strong and very, very fast. In the original Underworld, they don't really show how fast they are, but in the sequel, Underworld: Evolution, they show a scene of Selene vs normal police officers and she is easly SPD 6 or 7 vs their SPD 2 or 3.

The Werewolves seem to be a bit stronger and tougher than most vampires and they are about the same speed. Elder vampires are incredibly strong and tough, but don't seem to be any faster than any of the other supernaturals.

Vampires only got the weakness to sunlight after Murnau's 1922 Nosferatu. Stoker had Dracula appear with no ill affect in the datyime' date=' he was just depowered.[/quote']

Quite true, but it has become a "classic" weakness. Vampires are ridiculously powerful anyway, they need a weakness as abundant as the Sun.

Thanks for the information. I didn't see much setting specifics. Matt Ignash implies underworld vampires and werewolves are genetic creations in his character description.

CES

They are not genetic creations. The original Vampire and Werewolf were the offsprings of another yet unknown type of immortal (named Corvinus). The originals could make more of their kind, but apparently successive generations seemed to weaken that ability as per White Wolf's World of Darkness setting.

The original Werewolf was a nigh unstoppable beast. The individuals he bit would invariably become beasts, locked in the Half-man, Half-beast form being incapable of taking human form ever again. Later generations of werewolf were able to maintain their ability to regain human form through a man by the name of Lucious.

The genetic manipulation came in the form of an attempt to form a hybrid Vampire/Werewolf, since they both had a common ancestor (Corvinus) and it was thought that a direct descendant of the original Corvinus could probably accept both forms of the Virus. One such descendant was found and sought after by the werewolves (who wanted to create the hybrid) but he was found by a Vampire first (by Selene, the main character of the tale).

I suggest you watch the films. They're quite good. Not the best vampire movies ever made, but still quite good. They have pretty good production values. The werewolves were kinda iffy in the original films, but much improved in the sequel. The sequel also has some of the finest Vampire vs Werewolf battles ever comitted to film. The battlescenes in that movie are so brutal, they made everyone in the theatre Jump and exclaim in shock at the same time. Beautiful stuff.

The third film, while it expands the story significantly, isn't nearly as good as the first two. Its still decent, just not up to the quality of the others.

Vampires only got the weakness to sunlight after Murnau's 1922 Nosferatu. Stoker had Dracula appear with no ill affect in the datyime' date=' he was just depowered.[/quote']

Quite true' date=' but it has become a "classic" weakness. Vampires are ridiculously powerful anyway, they need a weakness as abundant as the Sun.[/quote']

Wasn't it more than just "depowered" though? I mean, I know the sun didn't directly hurt him, but wasn't he basically paralyzed during daylight hours? It's been a while since I've read Dracula, so maybe I'm way off here...

here's an ideal compromise beteen classic and current versions of vampire strength let them drop 2/3 in sunlight but full strenght at night or in a roon the sun cant penetrate

I'm totally okay with a Vampire dropping to "human normal strength and endurance" during the daytime. It should be just as easy to kill a Vamp during the day as it is to kill a normal human. And they should be kinda sleepy/lethargic.

Wasn't it more than just "depowered" though? I mean' date=' I know the sun didn't directly hurt him, but wasn't he basically paralyzed during daylight hours? It's been a while since I've read Dracula, so maybe I'm way off here...[/quote']

From what I can remember, Dracula actually is active during the day.

They are not genetic creations. The original Vampire and Werewolf were the offsprings of another yet unknown type of immortal (named Corvinus). The originals could make more of their kind, but apparently successive generations seemed to weaken that ability as per White Wolf's World of Darkness setting.

The original Werewolf was a nigh unstoppable beast. The individuals he bit would invariably become beasts, locked in the Half-man, Half-beast form being incapable of taking human form ever again. Later generations of werewolf were able to maintain their ability to regain human form through a man by the name of Lucious.

The genetic manipulation came in the form of an attempt to form a hybrid Vampire/Werewolf, since they both had a common ancestor (Corvinus) and it was thought that a direct descendant of the original Corvinus could probably accept both forms of the Virus. One such descendant was found and sought after by the werewolves (who wanted to create the hybrid) but he was found by a Vampire first (by Selene, the main character of the tale).

I suggest you watch the films. They're quite good. Not the best vampire movies ever made, but still quite good. They have pretty good production values. The werewolves were kinda iffy in the original films, but much improved in the sequel. The sequel also has some of the finest Vampire vs Werewolf battles ever comitted to film. The battlescenes in that movie are so brutal, they made everyone in the theatre Jump and exclaim in shock at the same time. Beautiful stuff.

The third film, while it expands the story significantly, isn't nearly as good as the first two. Its still decent, just not up to the quality of the others.

I have seen the first one but I didn't get a sense of what the world was like outside the places where the Vampires and Werewolves live. Their entry at TV.TROPES says everything is kept hidden from the normal world to keep up a masquerade. Also nothing is said of anything else other than the main combatants.

CES

I have seen the first one but I didn't get a sense of what the world was like outside the places where the Vampires and Werewolves live. Their entry at TV.TROPES says everything is kept hidden from the normal world to keep up a masquerade. Also nothing is said of anything else other than the main combatants.

CES

Yeah, they don't mention much of the world outside that of the Vamps and wolves. All we know is that they are in Eastern Europe somewhere (near Prague?).

At the end of the second film, they do mention that there were other clans of Vampires elsewhere in the world and they were unsure about how they were going to react to what happened in the first two films, so its possible that Corvinus isn't the only person to have spawned Vampires (and probably werebeasts as well)

Dracula was active during the day. However a vampire was locked into whatever form he was in at sunrise. At noon they could change that shape and then at sun down they were "Normal". So yeah, in the novel Drac wandered around in human form during the day.

So basically I can use any type of monster I can justify through virus spreading and genetic tampering. That sounds more useful than V vs W

CES

And more original.

It's nice when GMs don't do fanfiction but actually start creating their own content, using their own imaginations.

And more original.

It's nice when GMs don't do fanfiction but actually start creating their own content, using their own imaginations.

To be honest, this isnt my usual cup of tea. An acquaintance has been asking me to run a game where the vampire assassin falls in love for a human girl for him and his acquaintance which I dont really know. She is the one that suggested underworld vampires. I prefer Palladium vampires but you cant have everything. Right now its in the blue sky phase. If it comes to something, I'll put it up on the boards like the other campaign lines I have done. If not, then I have some information I can use sometime later.

CES