Restricting Aspects of Character Creation

Re: Restricting Aspects of Character Creation

Here's another sitch (one I've had to deal with):

The player builds a character that is significantly weaker than the others, and even thought the GM tells the player to beef up his PC, he insists he likes it that way. His PC doesn't do as well as the others (even though the GM goes a bit easy on it) and the player complains he can't do much. The GM again says to beef it up, but the player doesn't do much to do so. How do you handle that? :idjit:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the player doesn't know exactly How to beef up the Character - which parts to raise, and doesn't want to lower parts that don't contribute directly to Combat.

Time to take the character through a total overhaul for efficiency first, and then talk to the Player about non-combat aspects that either aren't going to get any play and the GM letting the Player have those non-play Flavor Aspects for free to help keep the player happy in that direction (being clear that anything not paid points for is strictly flavor only) and keep the Character alive and in the fight.

Here's another sitch (one I've had to deal with):

The player builds a character that is significantly weaker than the others, and even thought the GM tells the player to beef up his PC, he insists he likes it that way. His PC doesn't do as well as the others (even though the GM goes a bit easy on it) and the player complains he can't do much. The GM again says to beef it up, but the player doesn't do much to do so. How do you handle that? :idjit:

By observing how the other players and their characters react. Is this character enhancing the game or detracting from it?

As for the player's complaints, point out that if they wanted to be more powerful they have that option - if they choose not to do so, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders what else may really be going on here.

Lucius' date=' tell the palindromidary that what's going on is obvious: We have an inexperienced GM who is asking for help from all assembled HEROdom. :D[/quote']

Actually, I have about 20 years of GM experience. :eek: I just wanted to get other GMs take on difficult situations, some of which I have gone through.

Actually' date=' I have about 20 years of GM experience. :eek: I just wanted to get other GMs take on difficult situations, some of which I have gone through.[/quote']

:o Whoops! That teaches me not to make that kind of assumption...

He bullies the PC's, or bullies the players? Either way, bad situation.

If his PC is bullying the other PC's, then the GM needs to step in and find out why he thinks this is acceptable behavior for a RPG.

If the player is bullying the other players, he needs to be banned from your game. Period. No one likes a bully, and even less like to play what is supposed to be a cooperative game with one.

If the bully steps over the line into assault, call the police. No, I'm serious. No matter how good a friend you might think he is, your players do not deserve to get beat up because Bully wants to be in control. :mad: Alternatively, find a player who has studied martial arts to deal with him. :eg:

I once read an article that talked about a genetic basis for bullying behavior and how nomadic groups of humans would basically cull individuals that showed such tendencies because it tended to screw up the groups overall survival rates. Essentially if you were a bully in hunter gatherer times they'd shun you, if you didn't get the hint, they'd beat you to death with tree branches.

Find that article and tape it to the bully's wall. Underline parts of it in red ink. Don't sign it. When he shows up for the next game everyone stare at him 'knowingly' for several long minutes without saying anything.

:D XD