Recurring NPC's

Tech

In the course of the long-lived campaign, there have been some NPC's that have been memorable. I doubt these are all of them but here's a few:

From oldest to newest:

Jacque - a chef for the leader of a hero group. He had a strong french accent and spoke his mind on matters whether you liked it or not. Even though aware of the superteam, he didn't care much about it as preparing food was his all-consuming mindset. If in earshot of a hero group discussion, he generally insulted villains and, once in a great while, insulted the heroes (generally for having done stupid things). A great way for the GM to give hints to the team and reprimand bad ideas.

whiny nerd - this guy was a nerd who liked a teenaged superheroine from the above group. I don't recall his name, it may have been John. He had a crush on her and kept talking to her by starting with "Veronica-a-a-a-a!" Eventually (after a long, long time), he realized he had no chance and tried to hit on Veronica's teenaged superheroine friend - she stopped it quickly.

hospitalized old man - this guy was a pain for one heroine, who was a nurse. It started off with this guy always calling for her, whenever he had problems by yelling "Nurse nurse!". The joke could only work for so long until he got released from the hospital so he got injured a few episodes later and got put back in the hospital. The heroine couldn't stand this guy. Interesting enough, no one ever found out what his name is. Quite frankly, he never had one.

Recently, (over ten years later in real life), a detective from a different group had an old man come in and wanted someone found. The detective asks if it's a relative, friends, etc. The man says "I'm looking for a nurse." The player who ran the retired heroine groaned and put her head on the table while everyone laughed.

spaz kid - So everyone knows, the kid wasn't a spaz, just insulting. One solo hero had multiple forms (so many years long before the Multiform Power got created) but was green. This kid was frequently seen with his mom (neither of whom had names). Although only having cameos, the kid showed up while the hero was either walking somewhere or in a battle. All the kid would say is: "Look mommy, it's a spazzz!" The hero frequently commented: "You'll get yours, kid" but never did anything.

autograph kid - Okay, this kid takes insults to a new and funny level. He's actually a fan of heroes. He is intent on getting autographs from every hero he can and gets a pleasure out of getting autographs of heroes and villains alike. Frequently, the kid gets an autograph from a hero(ine) and, in their presence, says something to the effect of: "I can trade three of these for one autograph of (different hero name)." He's taken to getting autographs of villains and then saying the same thing, to the villains chagrin but he's careful who he gets villain autographs from. He also purposefully gets hero names wrong or thinks one hero is a different hero. All-in-all, a fun npc because the players never know who's going to be the at the end of the joke.

Re: Recurring NPC's

Some other fun NPC's are:

Donna - Awhile ago, she was a young girl about 10 years old out on the street. That changed in an episode where she found a genie bottle and got her own genie named Eve. After the episode, Eve became Donna's guardian and gave her a home. Donna knows who the team is in their secret id's and never mentions it to anyone. She most often shows up when needing a babysitter.

Eve - This genie has appeared several times in various episodes and is currently dating a hero brick who can turn into living metal. For a time, Eve was wished free of her bottle and she enjoyed her freedom. However, during one particular game, a modified Foxbat Unleashed module adventure, the heroes were surprised to find that she was again 'attached' to her bottle again. Foxbat had something to do with it but that is all that the heroes know.

Deputy-Mayor Callie Briggs - the Deputy-Mayor supports the efforts of the hero group but is opposed by the commander of the new city anti-superpowered police. To assist the heroes, she has a secret communicator to let the leader of this hero group know when she comes across something. She often falls into the role of a 0-point DNPC. She is currently romantically interested in the heroteam leader but doesn't know his secret id and her position stifles much relational progress. Unknown to her, she likes the secret id of the same hero but hasn't pursued it because she's unsure how to proceed.

Mike the TV - Mike was created by a goofy hero of mine and causes troubles such as changing channels while the team watches television or by bringing up the commercial channel when the heroes don't want it. If you've seen the ReBOOT series, you know what Mike is like since I nabbed him for the group. :D

Some other fun NPC's are:

Deputy-Mayor Callie Briggs - the Deputy-Mayor supports the efforts of the hero group but is opposed by the commander of the new city anti-superpowered police. To assist the heroes, she has a secret communicator to let the leader of this hero group know when she comes across something. She often falls into the role of a 0-point DNPC. She is currently romantically interested in the heroteam leader but doesn't know his secret id and her position stifles much relational progress. Unknown to her, she likes the secret id of the same hero but hasn't pursued it because she's unsure how to proceed.

:D

a SWATKATS FAN EH?

Recurring NPC's

A few from my campaigns:

Ms. Wickerman

Ms. Wickerman was an AI who could create a projection of herself (like a holodeck projection). While she maintained a professional demeanor, she was curious about everything and would try almost anything once. She was initially the DNPC of her creator, a cyberkineticist. When he disappeared, she took over her creator's business and became a recurring contact for the team. Following the alien invasion and occupation of earth, she became one of the main leaders of the metahuman resistance.

Jerry, the mechanic

Jerry built and maintained the VTOL (the team's vehicle). He was a typical blue-collar guy with two daughters (7 and 10). He took it as a personal affront if someone damaged "his" VTOL, and he had been known to throw a wrench (or hammer) at the hero responsible for the damage ... provided he was certain that the wrench wouldn't be damaged. Jerry was a huge fan of Larry the Cable Guy, and saw himself as a "Git 'r' done" kind of man.

Levi's biggest fan

Levi had a public identity and was often followed (stalked) by his biggest fan. Levi was a powerful telekinetic, and his fanboy was telekinetic of minor power (STR 10, fine manipulation, Sfx: a translucent hand). The fanboy would use his powers to grab hold of Levi, wave his hand in front of Levi's face, and numerous other attempts to attract Levi's attention. This also tended to draw the attention of IHA-types and other metahuman-haters.

“Hoss”

Hoss is the UN liaison for the Johannesburg, South Africa base. Except in appearance, he is all the worst stereotypes of a Texan. Boots, spurs, jeans, 10 gallon hat, chewing tobacco and a drawl. The sign on his office door says “Come in peace or leave in pieces.”

Hoss is a 6’7”, broad shouldered, barrel-chested black man. He looks like he regularly takes steroids, human growth hormone, and any number of other substances that pump him up.

A little investigation would reveal that Hoss grew up in London’s Lower East End. He may have visited Texas at some point, but he’s never lived there.

The only recurring NPC that never helped the characters out directly was a D&D character. Sniv, an illusionist Gnome (when that was a good combination) He's a hoot. Very lovable. Ran a magic shop, but was often off adventuring (so he would not become a crutch.) He designed backpack witha small pouch quick release on it. It dumped oil, caltrops, marbles and a pebble with darkness cast on it. When he used it he pulled out a pebble on a thong with light cast on it. If lucky, anyone following (normally used it when running away) would be in a world of hurt. He also used a net of entabglement, and a bolo as a weapon. Strange character, but well loved.

I guess my most memorable one would be Captain Adventure.

Captain Adventure was not a member of the team. They talked to him a few times, and he was a very gung-ho, optomistic, never-say-die kind of guy...but he honestly just wasn't in the PCs weight class. He would be more at home with the Spleen or the Shoveller than with Captain America or Spider-man.

But often he would call the PCs when he ran into trouble. Or he would just get to the scene of a villain plot first. And the PCs would arrive to find him, face-down on the pavement and totally unconscious, and the PCs would take down the villains.

For a long time, the group considered him a "joke NPC".

Then, one day, a few of the PCs were talking about what it means to be a real "hero". One of the PCs said:

AJAX: "You know who I think exemplifies the spirit of a true hero? Captain Adventure.

I mean, think about it; for the last five years weve run across him time and time again. Most of the time hes taken a beating at the hands of enemies he cant possibly hope to defeat.

But he never stops.

He never gives up.

Day after day, week after week, Captain Adventure puts his life on the line to do what's right, with no thought of reward. And even though he knows, he KNOWS that we "big leaguers" make fun of him, he never complains. He never whines. He never even lets on that he knows no one, "hero" or "villain", really takes him seriously!

I know he doesnt have any powers. I know hes not as well trained as the Revenant, or as good with a weapon as Huntress....and he knows it too. And hes still out there.

Captain Adventure is MY hero."

I guess my most memorable one would be Captain Adventure.

Captain Adventure was not a member of the team. They talked to him a few times, and he was a very gung-ho, optomistic, never-say-die kind of guy...but he honestly just wasn't in the PCs weight class. He would be more at home with the Spleen or the Shoveller than with Captain America or Spider-man.

But often he would call the PCs when he ran into trouble. Or he would just get to the scene of a villain plot first. And the PCs would arrive to find him, face-down on the pavement and totally unconscious, and the PCs would take down the villains.

For a long time, the group considered him a "joke NPC".

Then, one day, a few of the PCs were talking about what it means to be a real "hero". One of the PCs said:

AJAX: "You know who I think exemplifies the spirit of a true hero? Captain Adventure.

I mean, think about it; for the last five years weve run across him time and time again. Most of the time hes taken a beating at the hands of enemies he cant possibly hope to defeat.

But he never stops.

He never gives up.

Day after day, week after week, Captain Adventure puts his life on the line to do what's right, with no thought of reward. And even though he knows, he KNOWS that we "big leaguers" make fun of him, he never complains. He never whines. He never even lets on that he knows no one, "hero" or "villain", really takes him seriously!

I know he doesnt have any powers. I know hes not as well trained as the Revenant, or as good with a weapon as Huntress....and he knows it too. And hes still out there.

Captain Adventure is MY hero."

and that is a good description of a hero

great thread, and fun to read. heres a few of mine.

SNN reporter, her most recent incarnation was called Jenny Allen, but theres been other names, i usually start each session with a news bulletin from the super news network with a few hints and red herrings and usually an on the street report from Miss Allen who's usually at ground zero of whatever the heroes have been up to. Most recently she stepped out from the screen and into a relationship with one of the team, he being the flashy showoff of the team, she being a superhero groupie.

Finnegan Docherty, Finn is a friendly chap from ireland, he's also a member of the trimestigus council and is usualy on hand to lend the heroes a helping hand for matters of the occult.

Lazy Viper guy, Lazy viper guy isnt so much of an NPC as he is a cardboard minature. I have some old card mini's from the marvel super hero game by TSR, and one of the cutouts is a goon sitting down, but the guys actually start to get antsy if i dont field him on the face offs with viper, he's become a bit of a mascot for the team

I have a guy named Bennie. He was in an old campaign years ago as a Police sgt. who worked at the front desk. So of course, the group began singing the song... "B-B-B-Bennie at the Desk", to the Elton John tune: "Bennie and the Jets".

Bennie has survived and has joined the campaign I run now at Hero Central. Bennie is still at the desk, working the front desk at the public offices of the paranormal team, the Champions of Justice.

Wow - I think Captain Adventure is my hero too!

Yes Captain Adventure is a hero. More of a hero than many PCs. Can you imagine a player continuing in a game where his PC got his a$$ handed to him every session and who knew his 'peers' called him a loser behind his back?

Actually most players complain if they have one loss, despite the fact that in almost every genre the 'heroes' always suffer defeat before they achieve victory. Imagine if you were Captain Adventure's player.

Still while he may not be much of a fighter, I would think he must have some power. 'Impossible to kill' is what I'm thinking (+100 BODY, only to avoid death), since most villains are not known for their mercy. (then again they may have let him live, just so that they could laugh at him, the way Heroes laugh at Bulldozer and other 'joke' villains)

Yes Captain Adventure is a hero. More of a hero than many PCs. Can you imagine a player continuing in a game where his PC got his a$$ handed to him every session and who knew his 'peers' called him a loser behind his back?

Actually most players complain if they have one loss, despite the fact that in almost every genre the 'heroes' always suffer defeat before they achieve victory. Imagine if you were Captain Adventure's player.

Still while he may not be much of a fighter, I would think he must have some power. 'Impossible to kill' is what I'm thinking (+100 BODY, only to avoid death), since most villains are not known for their mercy. (then again they may have let him live, just so that they could laugh at him, the way Heroes laugh at Bulldozer and other 'joke' villains)

this is a hero the same way seeker was he kept getting his butt kicked but it didn't discourage him

Here's another NPC for now:

little ol' lady and her car - this is the stereotypical ornery little old lady with white hair. One of the characters is a car mechanic for his vocation owning his own shop. This as-of-yet unnamed lady continually comes back to him with her aging car and complains of how it's not working anymore, that he did a lousy job on the last repair, how she knows he needs to do a better job next time and so on. She's never happy and periodically shows up to give him grief. Maybe she just wants someone to complain to - who knows? Fun to lightly annoy the character from time to time.

A currently running recurring NPC gag:

Rubberbando! - I'm not sure how to classify this one because he doesn't really exist... (for now). The original Rubberbando was a fake villain identity created by a hero to enter the Great Supervillain Contest 2.0. However, since then, the fame of Rubberbando has continued to grow, as well as the stories around what Rubberbando is like. He is better known than the hero who created the fake identity, much to the hero's dismay. What he can do, what he's like, how tall/fat/nice/mean/etc. and so on is changed each time his name is mentioned. ;)

Sadly, I have to spread rep before I can hit Input.Jack or HoustonGM for Captain Adventure and Hoss, respectively.

This campaign, I asked my players to each come up with five people that their character interacts with fairly regularly. I made it clear that these were *not* DNPCs, and I would try not to put them into danger. Mainly, I was trying to flesh out the heroes' personal worlds, and it worked pretty well. Here's a few of them:

Charlie: An EMT, he is the regular partner of Sentinel's secret ID (Caren). A real skirt-chaser, he had a crush on Sentinel (never realizing she was actually Caren) and would pine over her to Caren's continuous aggravation -- until the two of them ran into Candy Striper. He's now smitten with that supervillainess, which completely pisses off Caren.

Matt Bridges: An agent of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, he knew Styx before he "died" and became a superhero. Matt has turned into a sometime-contact, pseudo-DNPC, serving a more active role in a few plotlines, partly at the instigation of the player. Matt is engaged to a girl named Brooke Lynn, and I think it took a month or more before the player figured out that her married name would be Brooke Lynn Bridges.

Eileen Turner: One of the players didn't provide me any NPCs (bad move!), so I created the ones for Squeeze. Ms. Turner is an investigative newspaper reporter who goes by her middle name, since her first name is Paige. (Her father had a bad sense of humor.) She is a reporter that really, REALLY dislikes Squeeze for reasons nobody's ever figured out, and for the most part is pretty anti-hero (though Styx saved her life once and she doesn't mind him so much).

The Staff and Regulars at Callaghan's: Apparently to make up for Squeeze's player's lack of NPCs, the player for Serendipity provided over a dozen people who work or are regulars at the Irish-style pub the character owns in her secret ID (Samantha). So we have Sarah, the super-cute bartender; Juan, the bouncer that has an unrequited crush on Sarah; Nick Barr, the old-school PI that knows Serendipity's secret ID but would shoot himself in the head before revealing it; and Hogan Malone, the former boxer turned house painter who is the only person to come close to matching Samantha in a drinking contest. (Both characters actually have LS: Alcohol.)

During the course of play, the heroes have met various NPCs that became regulars. We have:

Robbie Earnhardt: a cousin of Dale Earnhardt Jr., he is a PRIMUS pilot who got bumped down to driver after a "little fender-bender." (How you can have a "fender-bender" with a PRIMUS Jump-Jet flying close to Mach speed is something he was reluctant to talk about.) Robbie is hell on wings, wheels, or anything else that moves. In the most recent adventure, the heroes captured an alien spaceship, and he was literally begging and pleading with them to let him fly the thing.

PRIMUS Staff Sergeant Jeremy "Mac" MacTaggart: A chain-smoking gun fanatic, Mac knows weapons backwards and forwards and frequently "rewires" his PRIMUS blaster carbine to generate more damage (at the expense of possible burnout or the very-occasional "BOOM!"). He's been known to pick up a KO'd supervillain's weapon, use it, and say, "I gotta get me one of these!"

Sabrina Swain: A fairly even-handed and highly-skilled TV reporter who dated Squeeze for a bit, she's the Lois Lane of the campaign. She's turned into a team Contact and DNPC, alternately giving the heroes useful information and getting into trouble with equal abandon.

And there's always the one- or two-shot NPCs that are fun to bring in:

Clement "Clem" Caldwell: A junkyard owner and ace mechanic, he comes across as a thick-headed redneck, but he's actually scary-smart, at least when it comes to machines. One of Artificer's constructs (the villain has Summoning using materials at hand, and his constructs only last about an hour before they cease to function) ended up getting dumped in Clem's junkyard, and he actually managed to get it working again. It now does heavy lifting at the junkyard, and Clem calls it Duke.

Incompetant PI: I forgot the character's name, but he was a bumbling PI hired by Synergy's girlfriend's ex-boyfriend to dig up (or if necessary, plant some) dirt on Synergy (actually, his secret ID as Ryan). Due to his incompetance, there was little if any danger of this boob actually finding out Ryan's big secret, and the player had a lot of fun leading the PI on a merry goose chase and making things backfire on the ex-boyfriend.