Little "b" bleeding

I just received a (very quick) response from Steve when I asked on Hero 5 questions, but he suggested I expand my target audience a bit, so away I go...

Short of a Adjustment power raising current BODY above 0 or a Paramedic skill Roll (or one built as a power), what ways do you use in your game to stop a character from losing additional BODY due to bleeding at negative BODY?

(I have characters both interested in it as a Perk, and I'm building a "Coagulant" drug)

Re: Little "b" bleeding

First thought: Regeneration (blah), Only to Stop Blood Loss (-1). This lets them regen back to 0 and be stabilized, but stops once blood loss is stopped.

Or, as an item another character might use, Healing, Xd6, OAF (-1), Only to Stop Blood Loss (-1). Probably "Requires a Skill Roll" and "Extra Time" depending on the realism level of the setting.

Not a whole lot of other options, really.

Well, one of my players once made a Power Skill roll to use his webbing Entangle as dressings on a bystander's wounds. I ruled that the webbing would stop the bleeding as long as its Body score was greater than the Body the character was losing due to bleeding.

I think adjustment powers and paramedic rolls are about it, short of automaton powers - officially.

I'd allow someone who was not taking energetic actions to 'press on the wound' to stop bleeding in the short term - that seems to work in the movies.

Interestingly enough I was working out some new bleeding house rules (by which I mean house rules for bleeding) today, which I will post when I write up properly.

You might also allow penalised CON rolls - again if the subject were not taking energetic actions.

First thought: Regeneration (blah), Only to Stop Blood Loss (-1). This lets them regen back to 0 and be stabilized, but stops once blood loss is stopped.

Or, as an item another character might use, Healing, Xd6, OAF (-1), Only to Stop Blood Loss (-1). Probably "Requires a Skill Roll" and "Extra Time" depending on the realism level of the setting.

Not a whole lot of other options, really.

The way Regen works with Time frame now though, I'm not sure it would scale. I hear you on the Healing or Aid (+extended recovery), though.

Well' date=' one of my players once made a Power Skill roll to use his webbing Entangle as dressings on a bystander's wounds. I ruled that the webbing would stop the bleeding as long as its Body score was greater than the Body the character was losing due to bleeding.[/quote']

Entangle, Conditional: Only on blood external to the body.

Hrm.

I think adjustment powers and paramedic rolls are about it, short of automaton powers - officially.

I'd allow someone who was not taking energetic actions to 'press on the wound' to stop bleeding in the short term - that seems to work in the movies.

Interestingly enough I was working out some new bleeding house rules (by which I mean house rules for bleeding) today, which I will post when I write up properly.

You might also allow penalised CON rolls - again if the subject were not taking energetic actions.

1) That's what Steve said, which is official enough for me. :)

2) You write good stuff, I look forward to it. Also, the Horror Hero supplement with bleeding houses.

Lots of options depending on how realistic you want your game to be.

• INT Roll (at some minus or other) with something appropriate in the environment to use as makeshift bandages.
  • Most any character with medical or EMP training should have a Skill that would help -- Paramedics is obvious, but others might substitute just fine.
  • Most any character fascinated with medical dramas (like ER) might have done a little extra research and knows what to do -- check to see if they have an appropriate background Skill or go with the INT Roll.
  • Clamping a hand (tail, flipper, tentacle) over the wound might be enough. Especially if the helping character's physiology is appropriate to the situation.
  • "Don't you die on me!" Presence Attack and/or Mind Control.
  • "You've never walked away from anything in your life -- now fight!" taking advantage of Overconfidence or similar Disadvantages.
  • "Think of Linda and little Bobby!" taking advantage of In Love With and/or Protective Of and/or similar Disadvantages.
  • Power Skill applied to Entangle, Force Wall, Telekinesis, etc.

What about Transform - bleeding character to non-bleeding character?

Or Extra Dimensional Movement - To dimension where people don't bleed?

:doi:

HM

Transform might be the best fit for a pharmaceutical based focus, but feels a bit inelegant (to me). Are we thinking cosmetic, or Minor?

Extra Dimensional Movement seems a bit too elegant, as it happens.

:)

I just received a (very quick) response from Steve when I asked on Hero 5 questions, but he suggested I expand my target audience a bit, so away I go...

Short of a Adjustment power raising current BODY above 0 or a Paramedic skill Roll (or one built as a power), what ways do you use in your game to stop a character from losing additional BODY due to bleeding at negative BODY?

(I have characters both interested in it as a Perk, and I'm building a "Coagulant" drug)

You don't have to raise the character's BODY score to non-negative values to stop bleeding. "Any successful use of a Healing BODY stops Bleeding automatically..." (5ER, p185). Thus it takes only a single point of restored BODY via Healing to stop the current bleeding. It says nothing about raising BODY to positive values.

The perk I would base off of Regeneration (Healing) with an additional Limitation Only To Prevent Bleeding(-2). The Drug could be just a 1d6 Healing BODY (Standard Effect) with Only To Stop Bleeding(-2).

At one time (3rd edition?) there was a rule that I have maintained as a House Rule ever since. "Any attempt to stabilize a dying character is automatically sucessful." Of course, I don't really call attention to that rule or no one would buy Paramedic skill.

You don't have to raise the character's BODY score to non-negative values to stop bleeding. "Any successful use of a Healing BODY stops Bleeding automatically..." (5ER, p185). Thus it takes only a single point of restored BODY via Healing to stop the current bleeding. It says nothing about raising BODY to positive values.

The perk I would base off of Regeneration (Healing) with an additional Limitation Only To Prevent Bleeding(-2). The Drug could be just a 1d6 Healing BODY (Standard Effect) with Only To Stop Bleeding(-2).

It absolutely does, although it references big b Bleeding, which technically might not apply to the bleeding caused by having a negative BODY, but is as easy as pie to rule that it does by GM fiat.

That's the version I ended up using for my Tech Level III / vaguely realistic pharmaceutical. The TL IV version has similar effect, except for enough standard effect to get still living NCM characters up to 1 BODY (and not bleeding). For constructing the Talent, I ended with Regeneration / 1 Turn with a host of Limitations that ended up bringing the Real Cost down to 3.

It absolutely does' date=' although it references big b Bleeding, which technically might not apply to the bleeding caused by having a negative BODY, but is as easy as pie to rule that it does by GM fiat.[/quote']

Q: If a character uses Resurrection Healing to bring a character back to life, if the Healing still leaves the character in the negative BODY range, does he start bleeding to death?

A: No; the Resurrection effect “stabilizes” him just like any other form of healing successfully applied.

Emphasis mine. However, the FAQ also has this contradictory answer:

Q: Does a character with Healing Regeneration bleed normally?

A: Yes.

Which would mean if you have 1 BODY Regeneration and are reduced to negative body, on PF12 you Bleed 1 BODY, then Regen 1 BODY, ad infinitum. Turn after Turn after Turn. Only outside help or your REC/Month recovery of BODY will get you back to positives.

That's the version I ended up using for my Tech Level III / vaguely realistic pharmaceutical. The TL IV version has similar effect' date=' except for enough standard effect to get still living NCM characters up to 1 BODY (and not bleeding). For constructing the Talent, I ended with Regeneration / 1 Turn with a host of Limitations that ended up bringing the Real Cost down to 3.[/quote']

Presuming we don't ignore the second FAQ entry, I'd build the Talent like below. But this presumes the GM allows it despite the Maximum Effect rule. Since it doesn't actually add any BODY back, I would consider it not to be restricted by the Maximum Effect rule.

8 Doesn't Bleed (but you can still kill it*): Healing 1d6 BODY (Standard Effect) - Reduced END(Zero END; +1/2), Persistent(+1/2), Trigger(Whenever I take BODY, Activating takes No Time, Automatic Reset; +1)(30 Active Points) - Only To Prevent Bleeding(-2), Self Only(-1/2)

*Sorry about the movie reference. ;)

Interesting that this is only half the cost of the Does Not Bleed Automaton power.

The FAQ is not necessarily contradictory. IIRC you bleed on segment 1, not PS12, however sometimes you can bleed on other segments too. Once you get to PS12 and get 1 point of healing regen you stop bleeding/deteriorating, but you can still bleed before that happens.