A Normal Tempted With Dark Power...

Marcus Impudite

It's rare quiet evening and your character has gone out some place nice for dinner tonight. Your dining experience is uneventful...right up until The Slug and his minions show up and start turning the other patrols and wait staff into elder worms!

As you are engaged with fighting the Slug's flunkies, you notice three other people who haven't been transformed; a bus boy and a waitress who are currently huddled in a corner by the kitchen doors, and a man dressed in a black suit, still casually eating a steak with all the chaos thats going on around him. As he glances up you recognize him as none other than Rolland Fairweather. As the Slug approaches Fairweather and points his infamous talisman at him, Fairweather chuckles and, without turning around to look upon him, he says, "If you really think that cheap trinket will have any effect on me, you're as stupid as you are repulsive."

"How dare you speak to me like that!" The Slug replies. Fairweather gets up, turns around and snatches the talisman out of the astonnished Slug's hand. He then tosses it away into a bowl of soup on another table nearby. Indignant, the Slug says, "Insolent mammal! I should..."

Fairweather laughs. "No, it is you who are insolent. You who tunnels in muck and feeds on decay."

Fairweather's eyes glow red and then he changes into his true form.

The Slug stares frozen in terror "No, this can't be. You were banished, I was there to witness it..."

"Banishments don't always last forever, worm." The Shadow Lord replies.

"If you're going to destroy me, get on with it." The Slug says in defiance.

The Shadow Lord cackles. "Oh, there will be no need for me to sully my hands with filth like you. As a matter of fact..."

The Shadow Lord approaches the bus boy and places a hand on the frightened youth's shoulder. "...It's going to be this strapping young fellow here that disposes of you."

"W-what?!" The bus boy replied, a stunned look on his face.

"Tell me something...David is it?" The Shadow Lord glances at the boy's name tag. "Aren't you just sick to the teeth of trash like him blowing into town, wreaking havok with impunity, and treating you like you're just another insect to be trodden upon?"

"Well, I..."

"Of course you are, my boy. Of course you are." The Shadow Lord then shows him a swirling, softball-sized orb of dark purple energy. "I can give you the tools to make all that a thing of the past. Just say the word, lad, and the powers are yours."

The kid has a look in his eye like he's very tempted by what he's being offered. The waitress who he was with then crys, "No, Davy, don't..."

"Ignore her, think about what I'm offering." The Shadow Lord says. "Power. Real power. You have potential, David, I can sense it. I want to help you 'be all that you can be', son...Accept my offer, and I'll make you a general in my army of the night."

WWYCD?

Re: A Normal Tempted With Dark Power...

Probably remark (warn, really) that "deals with the devil" rarely come without a price. I price that is always more than what you get for it.

Other than that, it is the kid's choice, he'll have to deal with the consequences for eternity. But, it isnt Badger's business to save the kid's neck if he goes down that path.

Frosty Bob- Makes a pass on the waitress. :rolleyes:

Anyway...

Vitus would finish his stew, whilst watching all this with mild interest - dialogue tennis, as it were.

And then take the opportunity to brain the Slug whilst he's distracted.

And of course, wave Fairweather and Davy on with their conversation as he uses a napkin or five to scrape Slug brain issue off his sleeves.

"Carry on, don't mind me. I don't care either way what you do, as long as you don't do it around here, or in my way."

Volt Warn the kid about these kinds of powers. Then help defeat Slug. (if even remotely needed.) Warn the kid he'll be watching if the power was accepted. Since Fairweather had not done anything evil (and if unknown to him) the same would apply to him.

Olorin Unless Fairweather were magicaly disguising his magic (!?!?) Olorin would know he was magic, and probably evil. Therefore he'd get his compatriots nearby, fast. In any case, he'd know the magic is dark. "Are you sure about this David? Dark power tends to corrupt, take over or totally supplant you. I won't stop you, but if you act evil, I'll take you down." Then he'd sigh and mutter under his breath "Great. Another Dark Lord. Last time I lost almost all my friends. And my wife." Then to Fairweather: "Ok. I recognize what you are if not who. You have not done anything evil, but I'll be watching. And I've defeated multiple like you before. No threat, just a gentlemenly warning." And then t-port away when Slug is defeated . (after putting the tranformees somewhere safe to be "cured" later.

Black Tiger Swear. A lot. "Don't do it kid!" And knowing him, tackle the kid to stop him. He'd bluster a lot to Fairweather, even while thinking "Oh crap. I'm dead."

Leadman "NO!!!" And attempt to bat away the globe. Knowing him, he'd miss. Or accidently grab it. Radiation accident, maybe? Since Leadman's powers are from a magical amulet, it could be interesting.

Futurian "Why does this happen to me and not mages? Look, kid do what you want, be remember there are lots of superheroes around to take you down if you turn evil. Heck, you could joine the cadre of superheroes if you act accordingly." To Fairweather: "Interesting globe. Dark energy perhaps? Aw, I don't care as long as you do no evil. Have a nice day." And then act accordingly.

Amphibian has already seen one too many friends lose their soul. He'd grab the globe and then, assuming he survived that, shove it up the demon's nose. He'd then proceed to pound on the devil until, most probably, being incinerated or otherwise gruesomely terminated. Not so much because he thinks he can destroy such a thing that way (although he'd be trying) as because he'd really rather die trying than stand by and watch such a thing happen again.

Stormwalker, Quetzlcoatl, and several other of my characters: "David!" Pointing to the Slug, "Look at him. Look! Someone once offered him the same choice. Is that what you want to be?"

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary would rather be a sparrow than a snail, err, slug.

Cheeta, Snow Leopard, Iron Will and HipHop: blindside Slug while he's disracted, removing the urgency for David to make an immediate decision.

Millennium and Dolphin: Some variation of "It's a cheat! He said himself that you have the potential! You don't need him, he needs you to be in his debt! Accept his offer, you become his slave. Reaching your full potential on your own takes longer, but you'll still be your own person. Look, has he lifted a finger to save anyone else? He's willing to sacrifice everyone here just to get power over you! He'll tell you that you can save them, but he won't save them as a gesture of good faith and allow you to decide later. He needs your decision to be paniced because it's a very bad idea!"

[edit] Dolphin's schtick is adaptability, which has resulted in some power defense, above average EGO, and near invulnerability. Grab the purple softball if David starts to reach for it, hope it won't change him.

Guest steamteck

I just GM but I asked my wife what some of her characters would do.

WHITE TIGERESS would try to heroically talk the kid out of it while using sleight of hand to speed dial ,speaker,conference call the Sorceress Supreme and the goddess Athena on her communicator. Probably claim to Fairweather she was under the protection of the EVIL sorcerer supreme and she had his sanction ( get out of our territory) to maybe get them to fight.

SILVER SPHINX ( magical high elf in powered armor)would chide the boy for thinking of giving in to temptation and try to banish the demon and Slug ( well, that would go poorly)

SHOCKWAVE ( illegitimate thunderbolt hurling daughter of Zeus) would tell him to get away from the boy and test how he did against divine lightning ( Slug too). It could get messy as Athena and Hera and even Ares keep an eye on her. If a POWER like him messed with her he'd have to deal with Olympians.

BLACK WIDOW( female batman with spider-man's powers) would know she was out of her depth and try to snatch the kid and reach the Protector's( the big superteam) headquarters with him.

NEBULA ( arrogant alien princess with basically the silver surfer's powers ) would give those "peasant demons" the trashing te so richly deserve. ( also go badly because she's vulnerable to magic)