What would be involved in using Hero system to run a wargame?

Narf the Mouse

Re: What would be involved in using Hero system to run a wargame?

Random idea I had. I think it could work well. However' date=' it is, right now, only an idea.[/quote']

Well, for single units works pretty well. You can also look at the Mass Combat rules that are in some supplement.

Random idea I had. I think it could work well. However' date=' it is, right now, only an idea.[/quote']

according to what i read in DARK CHAMPIONS that genre would be apropriate for a military style game or PULP HERO if the campaign takes place in the ww2 era

Wait for the Ultimate Base too, it'll have some pretty kickin' Kingdom Level rules in it for use in a wargame.

Including unit tactics, beyond those in Fantasy Hero.

They plastested rather well, scaling up and down (IIRC the play testers went from city scale inter-gang warfare to galactic empires battling for the milkyway).

• 4 months later...

I've just recently started thinking in terms of setting up a fantasy, gladiatorial arena style game.

With the plan to work up from there to a dungeon crawl, and eventually a full campaign. But I want the tactical game to be complete in itself and do that first.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises

The problem is the +5/x2 logrythmic rule as written.

For 20 points you can field a 100 point knight follower. For 30 points, you can match him with a 100 point destrier. For 70 points you can field a force fo 500 such mounted knights. (Yes, I know these are almost superheroic "followers", but it still supports my point).

You could consider going with a straight point to point conversion. Or you could consider limiting the exponents involved: Say one Lance - A knight, his squire, two men at arms, two destriers, and two nags - and requiring another such lance to be bought as a second follower, rather than a doubling.

My 2cents,

Midas