Human Power Generator

CptPatriot

A character with an END Reserve that can be used externally as easily as someone with a PS: Electrician skill wiring her up. When wired in that way and connected to something that will draw power, she feels non-lethal pain and the person in question gets full control of the reserve.

It has been suggested that disadvantages can be used or an appropriate side effect, but I want to see suggestions from everyone to get a general consensus. I personally am leaning toward a limitation, but I'd appreciate a breakdown on how you get your numbers for whatever option you choose.

Thanks in advance,

Archie

Re: Human Power Generator

I'm a little confused as to what the intended positive effect of this ability is supposed to be.

Normally, a Power that can draw from an Endurance Reserve AND Personal END needs to have a (+1/4) Advantage to do so. With that in mind a UBO END Reserve wouldn't do anything for most targets by itself. A Naked UBO Advantage would be necessary as well. And it seems to me that if a Naked UBO Advantage is necessary it would be simplier to just make Reduced END be the Advantage that is being granted. It would make for a whole lot less bookkeeping.

I'm a little confused as to what the intended positive effect of this ability is supposed to be.

Normally, a Power that can draw from an Endurance Reserve AND Personal END needs to have a (+1/4) Advantage to do so. With that in mind a UBO END Reserve wouldn't do anything for most targets by itself. A Naked UBO Advantage would be necessary as well. And it seems to me that if a Naked UBO Advantage is necessary it would be simplier to just make Reduced END be the Advantage that is being granted. It would make for a whole lot less bookkeeping.

I'm trying to develop this as a negative thing, as she can be compelled to give up her electrical power.

Let me set up a possible situation:

Generica, the evil generic supervillianess, has a "Death Ray" that needs powering, but plugging the "Death Ray" into the grid would alert the authorities when she creates a blackout.

"Hmmm, how could I power my 'Death Ray'? Ah yes, that heroine, Electrica, she'll do nicely."
:snicker:

Yes, I know that she could build a electricity transfer gadget and drain Electrica's END, but the point I was trying to reach is that I'm looking for a limitation for her END Reserve to show the relative ease by which she can be used in that manner by anyone, even Jimbob with a pair of jumper cables.

This also raises the question of how to model generating normal electric power - for instance, someone plugs a television (not a power bought with points) into the character. I'm thinking possibly a Change Environment? Or would a Continuous Energy Blast with electricity SFX do it? In any case, I think you'd have to figure out how much power you generate per DC yourself.

For this specific character, you could make the energy transfer power Always On, but also with a Focus requirement (the relevant jumper cables). But that ends up actually costing you points, so it's only worth it if you were planning to voluntarily transfer power to things sometimes. Otherwise, this could be represented by a Disadvantage, probably Susceptability.

Previously on the topic:

This also raises the question of how to model generating normal electric power - for instance' date=' someone plugs a television (not a power bought with points) into the character. I'm thinking possibly a Change Environment? Or Transform: Nothing to Electric Current? Or would a Continuous Energy Blast with electricity SFX do it? In any case, I think you'd have to figure out how much power you generate per DC yourself.[/quote']

I can see Change Environment being used to power non-point cost devices easily. I think Transform is overkill, but a continuous EB or RKA? Hmmm.

I think the answer to that is based on the ability to channel and regulate that energy. That is why in the "Living in a Dangerous World" section, they often describe electricity in terms of its potential destructive potential.

Power generators have been written up in The Ultimate Vehicle.

Essentially, we break down an END Reserve to its two basic components:

ENDurance and RECovery

REC is the ability of the peak amount of energy a power generator can create over the course of a turn. You need at least the same amount of END as REC in order to store the power created during the turn before the next post-segment 12 recovery.

Any END over the REC score simulates a battery to store excess energy until it is needed.

What is commonly done is to buy the END and REC of a power generator as a recoverable fuel charge, recovered when given a full tank of fuel. Also, the END of the power generator should also match the REC of the same generator at all times in the case of reducing the fuel consumption of the generator when fuel is low and you have to stretch out the supply.

That's where I was confused by the original post.

Is the sfx actually electricity? (I thought it was just being used as an analogy)

If the sfx IS electricity, why not just give the character a low level NND Damage Shield plus a Susceptibility to 'being grounded' or used as a power source.

That's where I was confused by the original post.

Is the sfx actually electricity? (I thought it was just being used as an analogy)

If the sfx IS electricity, why not just give the character a low level NND Damage Shield plus a Susceptibility to 'being grounded' or used as a power source.

The problem with Susceptibility is that after you are KO'd you start to die and being dead makes you a bad power generator.

The SFX is actually electricity.

The problem with Susceptibility is that after you are KO'd you start to die and being dead makes you a bad power generator.

Not necessarily.

Take either Susceptibility, or Side Effect, but define it as a TRANSFER

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks any villain who tries to hijack this character's power should be charged with assaulting a battery

I'd go with Susceptibilty as Lucius notes.

As a comment though, if any joe blow can just slap a pair of jumper cables on her and use her to power up something, she's probably uninsulated. Which means you could also be looking at an electromagnetic field effect. Clocks speeding up / stopping or devices turning on / off in her vicinity. Just running a conductor near by her will generate a current. I'd use that as a Side Effect.

I'd go with Susceptibilty as Lucius notes.

As a comment though, if any joe blow can just slap a pair of jumper cables on her and use her to power up something, she's probably uninsulated. Which means you could also be looking at an electromagnetic field effect. Clocks speeding up / stopping or devices turning on / off in her vicinity. Just running a conductor near by her will generate a current. I'd use that as a Side Effect.

I never thought about using the EM field.

Check this out, I was thinking about this effect and how one of my character would look if written up with it. The character in question has 40 Stun, 40 END, & 7 personal REC:

Biopowerplant:
Endurance Reserve (140 END, 10 REC) Reserve: (24 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever some specific act is performed; When wired to provide electricity, she loses control of her END reserve and her personal recovery; -1/4)

Side Effect, listed in the order it would be most disadvantageous for the owner of the power:

Endurance Reserve (28 END, 17 REC) Reserve: , Side Effects (Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage; Loses 3 Stun for every 2 END used; +0), Usable By Other (+1/4)

{This represents compulsory burning Stun to provide END for whoever has her strung up; this assumes she is at full stun when used, and the combined REC of her END Reserve + her Personal REC}

plus

Endurance Reserve (40 END), Usable By Other (+1/4)

{This represents you burning her Personal END}

plus

Endurance Reserve (140 END), Usable By Other (+1/4)

{This represents her END Reserve energy}