Vehicle body

Ninja-Bear

Here is a thought. Treat vehicle body the same as character body. So take a vehicle's body and divide it by six-front, back, left, right, top, and bottom. Any odd number can be added to what direction you choose scuh as front. Example a tank has 19 body front has 4 the rest has 3 body. I'm basing this off of the rule that a limb has 1/3 the total body of the character. *Note armor is the same has it is written-if it has 20 def front then that is what it is.

Would do you fellow players think?

P.S. This is designed to make it is easier to break a tank.

Re: Vehicle body

Tank was an idea. But what I am really trying to simulate is the Super strong guy puches the car and smashs its motor in one shot. Also, the way I envision the use is only to break on side of the vehicle. So the tank would not fall apart totally just you can damage a tank or car part easier- say rip off a turrent or hatch door. So the tank can still attack, unless you break the gun. Anyways, this was my thoughts. :)

Again that sounds like it is making tanks (or any vehicle really) way too weak. Suddenly a compact car can be disabled because a buyer kicks the tires.

If you want to have a guy strong enough to smash the engine of a car with one blow... make a guy that can smash the whole car in one blow... Don't make the car weaker, make the guy stronger. Smashing the engine as opposed the the whole care is really just fluff. The car is disabled either way.

If you really want to compartmentalize the body of a vehicle I would split it up differently. based on the configuration of the vehicle. front... back... top... bottom... are too vague. for a car the main body and 4 tires. Tires are weak, but very hard to hit, the body is tough. On the other hand a blimp... the bag is both weak and easy to hit, the crew compartment could be very well armored though.

If the point is to make tanks and such weaker it's fine. Don't know if I would use it personally though. I like tanks to be tough' date=' I mean, they're tanks...[/quote']

True, but tanks are designed to be effective against other tanks. They are notoriously vulnerable to things like ordinance delivered by aircraft and mines.

Again that sounds like it is making tanks (or any vehicle really) way too weak. Suddenly a compact car can be disabled because a buyer kicks the tires.

Well about that, I remember the caveat in the Martial Arts Rules in FRED. In which Steve Long states that martial artist cannot break certain things no matter what the dice says (unless it is in genre- and I'm thinking like Dragonball Z).

The existing vehicle rules cover functional damage to the vehicle. Why not use hit locations for them as well? IIRC The Ultimate Vehicle has more detailed options for this sort of thing' date=' so you may want to check that book out.[/quote']

Perhaps combined with some variant on Impairing and Disabling. Hits to locations on a vehicle don't tend to destroy the vehicle as much as they do destroy its parts.

Perhaps combined with some variant on Impairing and Disabling. Hits to locations on a vehicle don't tend to destroy the vehicle as much as they do destroy its parts.

That is exactly what i'm thinking of-something like the pentration chart from Robot Warriors. I'm thinking the simplist way would be do a chart like automatons. Once body body is breached roll on the chart to see what is destroyed.

How much of a physical limitation worth?

P.S. I also considered giving a attack with the diasable element - but only for machines. :)

Found it in the BBB! Should've looked there first! :eek:

The existing vehicle rules cover functional damage to the vehicle. Why not use hit locations for them as well? IIRC The Ultimate Vehicle has more detailed options for this sort of thing' date=' so you may want to check that book out.[/quote']

The only problem is cash flow. :( So I'm trying to modify with the existing rules. but if I get a chance then I'll check it out. :)

I think this is a part of the overall awkwardness of the Hero Systems super-heroic roots.

A tank is supposed to be really tough, yes. At least in most genres. But then in comics, the high-end brick types (Superman, Hulk, Captain Marvel, Thor, Wonder Woman and Wonder Man) tend to be able to smash tanks fairly easily.

But in the CU a 20 DEF tank can shrug off even Grand's 90 STR, unless he haymaker's repeatedly. That's someone with sufficient strength to support 15 million pounds. His inability to smash a tank, in that context seems odd.

I think this rule is what I call a "genre-specific simulation rule." In of itself, the way body damage for vehicles works in general, and the write-up for tanks in specific, is fine for most genres. But the super-heroic genre is a different scale and not all write-ups scale up or down equally well. The tank is written correctly for heroic play. Its supposed to be that tough. But it doesn't crack like an eggshell or melt like butter the way comic book tanks do. To that end, this idea is probably useful for simulating one specific genre, but isn't something I'd want to see implemented on a system level.

I think this rule is what I call a "genre-specific simulation rule." In of itself' date=' the way body damage for vehicles works in general, and the write-up for tanks in specific, is fine for most genres. But the super-heroic genre is a different scale and not all write-ups scale up or down equally well. The tank is written correctly for heroic play. Its supposed to be that tough. But it doesn't crack like an eggshell or melt like butter the way comic book tanks do. To that end, this idea is probably useful for simulating one specific genre, but isn't something I'd want to see implemented on a system level.[/quote']

Exactly I wasn't looking to change tanks for everything just superhero.

Just give tanks Vulnerability to Super-Strength attacks and you're good.

Grr. I HATE that solution. What exactly is a "super-strength" attack? If it's something over a certain DC limit, then that should naturally be taken care of by defenses. And otherwise it seems awfully arbitrary. I like better the possibility of limiting the defenses, like I mentioned in my last post. Is a tank going to be impervious to falling over a cliff anyway? Hell no.

Another possibility might be to give them reasonably high defenses, but not so high that a so-called "super-power" attack can't do reasonable damage, and a CRUD-LOAD of Body. Yes, a few "normal-powered" attacks might get through the defenses now and then, but the tank'll be able to take many such hits before anything major happens.

Grr. I HATE that solution. What exactly is a "super-strength" attack? If it's something over a certain DC limit, then that should naturally be taken care of by defenses. And otherwise it seems awfully arbitrary.

Just curious, do you hate the real weapon and real armor limitation? Or is it any more arbitary than say mutant? Just curious.:)

Just curious' date=' do you hate the real weapon and real armor limitation? Or is it any more arbitary than say mutant? Just curious.:)[/quote']

Not at all. But I view it as completely different. Unless you are saying the tank's armor works only against attacks with the Real Weapon Limitation? That could work, and would probably be worth quite a Limitation itself. But the diversity of "super-powered" attacks in a superheroic game is pretty limitless, and meta-gaming distinctions that have nothing to do with either game-world SFX (e.g. "vs. projectiles and explosions") or system mechanics (e.g. "vs. weapons with the Real Weapon Limitation") irk me a great deal.