Looking for players for a new PBEM Champions campaign.

djday38

Hi guys,

I am soon going to start a new Champions PBEM campaign and am looking for players.

The game will be set deeply in the published champions universe making use of all the supplements so far as well as the characters in Digital Hero.

I am looking for six players to form a superhero team in Freedom City (only the setting will be used not the Mutants & Masterminds characters) but the campaign will be very mobile visiting many other locations in the CU.

The campaign will hopefully run for a long time and I am only looking for players who would be commited for playing in the long term.

The game would run by e-mail on a weekly turnaround and I would be looking to run the game in a narrative style which takes the emphasis off the Hero system mechanics working behind the scenes.

I would take care of all dice rolling and players would receive back a main narrative describing what took place plus a secret thoughts section on information they alone know or feel. Lastly they would receive their current stats such as stun, end and body.

I am looking for a campaign much in the style of the Avengers with a team of diverse heroes coming together to from a solid team to combat threats they alone cannot handle.

Please feel free to submit characters to me at djday45@yahoo.co.uk

I am looking for characters to be deeply embedded within the current CU which means I want hunteds, contacts etc to make use of published villains and hero's.

To help you create suitable characters fr the campaign i will give you a little more info of what I am looking for.

The camapign's tone will be a mix of silver and bronze age, again think 1970's and 1980's Avengers comics for a good guide.

Characters should be standard (200 base plus 150 disadvantages). I will not put set limits on character generation but I will say I would like to see plenty of skills (including some just to round out a character) a few contacts and well rounded characters powers wise, not one trick ponies.

The more background you can give me on the character the better, origin (again tie this into the CU as much as possible) personality, tactics, supporting cast (again try to come up with at least a couple of supporting characters), costume and clearly explained powers.

All the superhero archetypes are welcome, but in the final mix of characters I will be loking for a wide range of types.

So if you are intrested please feel free to contact me on the mail address above if you have any questions or to submit characters.

rgds

Dean

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... I am building a character right now & it would be nice to get some use out of her. It's a pretty complex character with lots of different abilities; the problem (other than that I don't know CU) is that she's built on 200 points. Also because of her conception she has limited life experience, and thus doesn't have many skills yet (she has 25 points worth of skills/perks, but it's mostly a lot of 8- familiarities.) Because of how complex the character is it would take a considerable amount of effort to rescale the character for 350 points, besides which I want to finish the 200 point version first.

What I would want to do is submit her at the lower power level, and then at some point during the game, invoke a "radiation accident" or some other plot device to scale her up to a more appropriate power level. Does that sound fair?

Minor note, it may make more sense to upgrade to 350 points in stages rather than all at once, depending on the rationale. We will see.

Do you want the character info in HTML, RTF, or Excel? I don't have Hero Designer. Also, I may send it to you in stages as I complete it, depending on how quickly things get rolling.

Also, you say "I will not put set limits on character generation" but players will need to have some sort of an idea of what kinds of power levels they should be expecting, especially in terms of attacks/defenses. For instance, in my case, I have geared the character mostly toward a 60 AP campaign, and while she has a couple powers that can overstep those bounds, I have put some superfluous limitations on them so that they don't get used often (i.e. I'm not saving any points by having these limitations, they are to preserve campaign balance.) However, if I'm regularly going to be going up against substantially tougher opposition that my regular 60AP attacks won't significantly hurt, I should probably remove those controls for the purposes of this game.

good question, which is one I forgot to ask in my emails.

I built my char w/ 75-point AP's, but at the same time, my defenses aren't that high. I just kinda went with creation and left myself open to adjustment without destroying the character.

Yeah, it look slike I'll be joining in as well :)

My char is a sort-of mystic/batman type character, loosely based (personality wise) on characters from Tony Hillerman' s novels (An amalgam of Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee in some ways). I didn't really know what to do for team base or vehicles either, so I just went with a character who doesn't have a lot in the way of resources, and just relies on his skills and abilities.

Once I'm done editing the background and everything I will put the link up for people to gander at.

Originally posted by Zed-F

Minor note, it may make more sense to upgrade to 350 points in stages rather than all at once, depending on the rationale. We will see.

Do you want the character info in HTML, RTF, or Excel? I don't have Hero Designer. Also, I may send it to you in stages as I complete it, depending on how quickly things get rolling.

Also, you say "I will not put set limits on character generation" but players will need to have some sort of an idea of what kinds of power levels they should be expecting, especially in terms of attacks/defenses. For instance, in my case, I have geared the character mostly toward a 60 AP campaign, and while she has a couple powers that can overstep those bounds, I have put some superfluous limitations on them so that they don't get used often (i.e. I'm not saving any points by having these limitations, they are to preserve campaign balance.) However, if I'm regularly going to be going up against substantially tougher opposition that my regular 60AP attacks won't significantly hurt, I should probably remove those controls for the purposes of this game.

Send over the character in what you prefer, I will convert the character over to HD (anyone with HD can send them over using that program would save me some time).

You will be coming up against some tough opposition but 12-15 dice in your primary attacks should be plenty. As I said before pls ensure you have multiple options in combat.

Defenses really depend on the character conception and type but nothing too extreme .

rgds

Dean

Originally posted by Agent X

Is there still room?

Yes but it's filling up fast. Depending on acceptance of peoples characters (Get them in fast guys).

I am taking six players for now and I will see how that goes for

some time but I am also happy to take "guest stars" for certain story arcs

and maybe increase the player base as we go.

rgs

Dean

Originally posted by djday38

Send over the character in what you prefer, I will convert the character over to HD (anyone with HD can send them over using that program would save me some time).

You will be coming up against some tough opposition but 12-15 dice in your primary attacks should be plenty. As I said before pls ensure you have multiple options in combat.

Defenses really depend on the character conception and type but nothing too extreme .

rgds

Dean

Ok. Multiple attack options is not a problem, I just wanted to know how strong to make them. Defenses will vary depending on circumstance but I doubt you'll have much problem with them (especially since I'm giving up 150 points to everyone else...) :)

I'll send you a 1st installment on the character tonight.

Quick note for you, ch0wyunf47, regarding activation... according to FREd p.181, activation applies on every turn a constant power is in effect. To better simulate what you are trying to achieve, you should probably use RSR instead. Once a constant/persistent power is activated using a skill roll, it remains activated with no further skill rolls required.

If it were me, I'd take some side effects to go along with that activation/RSR... but that's just me. :)

Originally posted by Agent X

Are there any common gadgets the group should buy together; communicators, computer donation, base donation, vehicle donation?

Not at the moment, questions like funding, equipment and bases will come up during play and will be resolved and decided by you guys as we go.

rgds

Dean

Zed-

Thanks for the feedback. You're probably right about the RSR. I wish I could figure out what "FREd" meant, but that's okay. It's been a while since I've done a mage-type.

As for side-effects, I've been on the fence on that one since I came up with the concept. Typically, a shaman's ways (think of them as spells, I guess) don't really involve negative side-effects. There's definitely a skill involved, and it certainly can fail to work, although to my knowledge failure does not mean something bad will happen. That's not to say that a side-effect of his mutant powers could be the cause...

When I have the books in front of me again, I will go back and edit that stuff. Maybe I'll have more than just 1 point left over :).

As for team resources and what not, I am all for everyone contributing to something. I'm just wondering if there is some outside force gathering us together, or if there's an adventure to be played in which we all meet at some big event and choose to team up. I have zero probelms spending points, but my character certainly doesn't have a good rationale (he's a PI, and his wife's a beat-cop... there's not a whole lot of money in that). What does the GM think?

As for team resources and what not, I am all for everyone contributing to something. I'm just wondering if there is some outside force gathering us together, or if there's an adventure to be played in which we all meet at some big event and choose to team up. I have zero probelms spending points, but my character certainly doesn't have a good rationale (he's a PI, and his wife's a beat-cop... there's not a whole lot of money in that). What does the GM think? [/b]

Yep, the first story arc will be when the characters first meet, but how and when I will keep to myself till we start.

rgds

Dean