Fastest man alive

quozaxx

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Fastest man alive

That's the majority of what he does' date=' from most of what I've seen of his work...[/quote']

He has had quite a few resurrections. And a few characters that were retconned to have never died. Barry and Hal were, of course, the most highly publicized.

And depending on how Blackest Night turns out, we may have Evil Zombie Supers or we may get a slew of actual resurections out of that.

But even having said all that, I don't think I would call it the "majority" of his work. I mean, the man wrote The Flash for 5 years straight and it wasn't chock full of resurections (though there were a couple of time travel episodes...)

Guest steamteck

The Flashes have always been a step ahead of their respective Supermen.

As far as Geoff Johns goes, I give him props for stating that he would rather dump a character's history, change anything, impose whatever personality, rewrite any story, as long as his story came out the way he wanted.

CES

Boy. That makes me never never never want to read ANYTHING he ever writes again. I agree with bigbywolfe. That sounds like the most self-centered, arrogant type of writing possible in a comic book.. If you have no respect for the character don't write about him, Mess up your own flippin' creation.

Boy. That makes me never never never want to read ANYTHING he ever writes again. I agree with bigbywolfe. That sounds like the most self-centered' date=' arrogant type of writing possible in a comic book.. If you have no respect for the character don't write about him, Mess up your own flippin' creation.[/font']

I'd kinda like a cite on it before damning the man :straight:

Not that Johns hasn't retconned things before. He absolutely has.

But I've never heard of him saying anything quite like that...

Guest steamteck

Good point. I've just been conditioned to expect the worst out of modern comics writers.

What constitutes a retcon? The refusal of Batman to use a firearm contradicts his earliest appearances. Should anyone who has written a story where Bats refused to use a firearm be vilified, or only the guy who made the change?

Other writers we could beat on for retcon's:

- who first had Superman fly rather than leap?

- who had Superman take up the costume as a boy (John Byrne took it away again, of course - is that a retcon, or praiseworthy returning things to their original state?)

- Stan Lee froze Cap in an iceberg and killed off Bucky near the end of WW II, when Timely Comics had published appearances of both of them in the 1950's.

- Stan also changed the colour of the Hulk.

- Reed Richards and Ben Grimm were noted as having served in WW II, and Iron Man's origin occurred during the Viet Nam war. Is writing that history out because it would now put Reed and Ben into their 80's and Tony Stark into his 60's not a retcon?

- who retroactively gave Jean Grey suppressed telepathic abilities?

I suspect very few characters who've been published for an extended period have enough consistency that we could assert they have not been retcon'ed.

What constitutes a retcon?

That easy... it's anytime they change something in a way that you don't like and that contradicts something you did :sneaky:

Otherwise it's an innovative change of pace, good story telling, filling out the back story or a logical evolution....

This was in an interview over his handling of Superboy being Lex Luthor's kid despite years of character knowledge of who his father actually was, dealing with it, and fighting counterparts based on it.

Johns said he didn't like Superboy as happy go lucky and needed him to be moody to write his Luthor's kid story.

The cite was at comicon.com.

CES

What constitutes a retcon? The refusal of Batman to use a firearm contradicts his earliest appearances. Should anyone who has written a story where Bats refused to use a firearm be vilified, or only the guy who made the change?

Other writers we could beat on for retcon's:

- who first had Superman fly rather than leap?

- who had Superman take up the costume as a boy (John Byrne took it away again, of course - is that a retcon, or praiseworthy returning things to their original state?)

- Stan Lee froze Cap in an iceberg and killed off Bucky near the end of WW II, when Timely Comics had published appearances of both of them in the 1950's.

- Stan also changed the colour of the Hulk.

- Reed Richards and Ben Grimm were noted as having served in WW II, and Iron Man's origin occurred during the Viet Nam war. Is writing that history out because it would now put Reed and Ben into their 80's and Tony Stark into his 60's not a retcon?

- who retroactively gave Jean Grey suppressed telepathic abilities?

I suspect very few characters who've been published for an extended period have enough consistency that we could assert they have not been retcon'ed.

All these are retcons. Some are necessary since the companies are not going to admit their characters are x years old. Superman's flying was an extension of his leaping by his creators, same with superboy. Byrne decided to get rid of that for his own reasons. Stan Lee's Marvel and Timely weren't exactly the same company in the twenty years seperating them. The Hulk's color was changed because of a printing process error as far as I know. I think Thomas did the telepath thing.

I guess a good retcon is something added to show you something never seen before to tell unknown stories. The original Invaders could be considered a good retcon since they were based on the All Winners Squad in the day.

A bad retcon for me is something like Sins Past where Gwen Stacy has Norman Osborn's kids who grow to be adults and villains in the ten years or whatever subjective time Spiderman has been operating since they dated. This is done to tie characters to existing stuff but without really thinking about the consequences of what's written.

CES