Fastest man alive

quozaxx

OK, here's a question:

Who's faster: Superman or The Flash?

Basically every time they ever had a race in the comic books, they get deterred by a villain. So, what is your opinion and why?

Note: This is based on a running competition. Since flying would be unfair (not having to avoid obstacles and all)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Fastest man alive

OK, here's a question:

Basically every time they ever had a race in the comic books, they get deterred by a villain. So, what is your opinion and why?

Note: This is based on a running competition. Since flying would be unfair (not having to avoid obstacles and all)

Supes has conceded to Flash (Wally) in the Born to Run Series (in the Flash Natch!) .

Wally (and many other Speedsters) has access to the speed dimension.

3. it's unfair to have a brick encroach too much on a speedsters schitck.

goes to the Flash.

Now, the Flash.

Silver Age, Superman was at least equal to the Flash.

So, depends on the era and who is writing the story.

Personally, I'd write the Flash as just a bit faster and much better at speed tricks, but then I like a Doc Savage who is always almost as good as each of his followers in their area rather than better than all of them. In another era, being the Best at Everything was a more popular fantasy.

Yeah, as to that recent Superman quote I seem to recall a post-Crisis story where the geriatric Golden Age Flash Jay Garrick was snuffing out tornadoes like birthday candles while Supes strained desperately to make counter-revolutions fast enough to disperse one.

Barry can run up to lightspeed before he hits Speed Force apotheosis/time travel complications, whereas I think we've seen Superman take 90 minutes flying to the sun and back... faster by at least a factor of 5.

Of course, Post Crisis Superman is a total wuss. He exists so that other characters can be more powerful than he is, when he's not being used as a symbol of whatever the writer hates about the comic book industry or American society that week.

Give me Silver Age Superman any day, when writers actually liked the character and weren't afraid to let him have some fun.

OK, here's a question:

Mr. Myxyzptlk did set up a footrace around the Earth between Superman and Wally West's Flash. They made it to the end, and Flash won. Just barely, but he won. Superman even conceded that Wally was the "fastest man alive."

Now that Barry Allen is alive again :rolleyes: and Superman has experienced several more years of power-creep the point is moot; but at least they did get to finish one race.

In a foot race, the Flash. As far as I know, Flash can achieve super-luminal velocities while on foot. If Superman can reach super-luminal velocities (and the way he's been getting around the solar system lately, I think he must be capable of it), I believe it's only while he's in flight.

GRR!!!! Just lost my more detailed post. Don't feel like retyping so...

Wally beat Superman during their last race around the world. Superman even tried to shoot him with heat vision while both of them were running as super speed.. and Wally out raced the heat vision.

Bary is faster than Superman, as shown in Rebirth.

Bart was faster than Superboy Prime. Prime was supposed to be at Silver Age power levels...

And Zoom was faster than all of them ;)

I think the Flashes and Green Lanterns stayed at about their pre-Crisis power levels, while Superman and all the other "strong" characters got a significant reduction. It wouldn't have bothered me to have a Flash edge out the Earth-1 Kryptonians in reaction time and ground speed, so Bart outdoing Emoboy Prime seems right enough.

Guest steamteck

In the Flash Reborn series they just started the Flash proved that he is the fastest when he told Superman that he let him win some of the charity events' date=' then took off like Superman was standing still.[/quote']

I don't ever remember Supes winning any of their events and all of them had a deadly serious reason to not hold back but anyway....

There is no flash reborn. Barry Allen died heroically saving all realities and Wally West struggled to live up to his legacy and developed 100X as much personality as Barry ever had/has.

I don't ever remember Supes winning any of their events and all of them had a deadly serious reason to not hold back but anyway....

There is no flash reborn. Barry Allen died heroically saving all realities and Wally West struggled to live up to his legacy and developed 100X as much personality as Barry ever had/has.

So basically, the same as the fustercluck return of Hal Jordan. Except I think that Barry has SOME personality, unlike Hal. But yeah, both of them should have been allowed to stay dead :P

Guest steamteck

So basically' date=' the same as the fustercluck return of Hal Jordan. Except I think that Barry has SOME personality, unlike Hal. But yeah, both of them should have been allowed to stay dead :P[/quote']

Yep. Bout covers it except Barry went out as the poster child of heroism and Wally was a much better transition.

I do so hate when people use a word with multiple meanings and try and get a definative statement off it.

Also, comics have no consistent power level the way a rpg does, so trying to use evidence from comics will never be definitive.

But overall, I'll use the Byrne argument that the Flash must be faster to be relevant.

In my own mental image of the characters, the Flash wins reaction time and reflexes down cold. I'd also tend to give him speed, but I also don't picture Superman as having FTL flight. Then again, I'm heavily biased towards the DCAU, and picture Supes wearing a spacesuit while in space, so take it as just another opinion.

Guest steamteck

I do so hate when people use a word with multiple meanings and try and get a definative statement off it.

Also, comics have no consistent power level the way a rpg does, so trying to use evidence from comics will never be definitive.

But overall, I'll use the Byrne argument that the Flash must be faster to be relevant.

In my own mental image of the characters, the Flash wins reaction time and reflexes down cold. I'd also tend to give him speed, but I also don't picture Superman as having FTL flight. Then again, I'm heavily biased towards the DCAU, and picture Supes wearing a spacesuit while in space, so take it as just another opinion.

If it make you feel better we're on the same page with reflexes and the DCAU