Tremorsense

Ninja-Bear

Hello,

I'm currently converting a D20 module for a Fantasy Nina hero game (5th ed. r). Well the ghouls have a power called Tremorsense. Basically it allows the monsters to sense anything moving with in 60 ft of them. So since this is the first time I bought an enhanced sense that wasn't prebuilt, I want to double check my work.

Tremorsense: Detect (vibrations on earth) Simulated sense group (touch) Detect limited things (5 pts) Targeting Sense (10 pts) Range (5 pts) 360 deg. (5 pts) Act cost 25 pts.

So does this look right ?

Thanks in advance. :)

Re: Tremorsense

3e Monster Conversion Info

The Tentamort has a blindsight ability that might help you.

The real question for me is...is this traditional Tremor Sense, which is via the ground / a surface, or is it just a label for a full-blown spatial awareness?

I believe just tremor sense as that was the name of the ability for the Jikininki in the module. The module btw is Lean and Hungry for D20 by Atlas games under the Open Game License.

If you're going with d20 Tremorsense, it shouldn't be fully targetting - it can determine the position of a creature (to a precision of ~1m), but you still take the penalties for attacking an invisible creature.

Blindsense is the same thing, but they don't have to be touching the ground, and Blindsight would be full-on Spatial Awareness.

Here's how I did it for 5e:

Tremor Sense: Spatial Awareness (includes Targeting) plus 360 Degree Sensing; Can only sense what is touching the earth (-¼).

You could further Limit it and have that it only lets you sense where the Target is standing but not be able to sense what they are doing with their hands.

Well aftr re-reading spatial awarness, the verson of tremor sense would not fit its description. i choose targeting because in the description, it states that it would know any target moving on the ground in a 60 ft area. Also i believe that you cannot use the sense past walls or such.

Now the question is, should I take a limitation of only on the ground (which I considered) or I think it is included when you decide what limited class of objects you are defining ?

Boy ehanced senses are confusing. :nonp:

If you're going with d20 Tremorsense, it shouldn't be fully targetting - it can determine the position of a creature (to a precision of ~1m), but you still take the penalties for attacking an invisible creature.

That doesn't seem to make sense to me, or at least I can't picture it. If I can determine where you are at by feeling feeling the earth, how ae you still invisible ?

But note the creatures also have Darkvision so this is kinda a moot point, just more intellectual. :) Also btw this ability is going to be used mainly when the pc have to go through their tunnels ! :eek:

In the d20 version, you can detect which 5' square the creature is in (hence ~1m precision), but not their exact position, and not what their upper body is doing. As a result, it's like fighting someone in the dark - even if you know where they're standing, you're going to have a hard time hitting them.

I'd probably go with the following (5E):

25 Tremorsense: Spatial Awareness (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range (37 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only for objects that move along the ground, cannot detect details that are not in touch with the ground; -1/2)

This isn't true to the original from d20; you can sense through walls, and it's not limited to only 60'. However, since you've already decided to break away from d20, why not go all the way and make this a better fit for what has been described? There's no reason a tremorsense wouldn't work through walls, maybe there's a PER mod, but it should still work. As for the 5' or 1m or resolution, making it non-targeting is close enough to simulate that. I added discriminatory to allow the ghouls to know the difference between people and other objects. I would allow them to know the difference between individuals based on how they moved (biometrics fantasy style!). The limitation is a little more than earlier suggested because I think it's appropriate - with this you can't sense ranged attacks or even what is being done with hands/heads, flying things, etc. Heck - it might even be worth more, but I think -1/2 sounds about right.

I'd probably go with the following (5E):

25 Tremorsense: Spatial Awareness (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range (37 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only for objects that move along the ground, cannot detect details that are not in touch with the ground; -1/2)

This isn't true to the original from d20; you can sense through walls, and it's not limited to only 60'. However, since you've already decided to break away from d20, why not go all the way and make this a better fit for what has been described? There's no reason a tremorsense wouldn't work through walls, maybe there's a PER mod, but it should still work. As for the 5' or 1m or resolution, making it non-targeting is close enough to simulate that. I added discriminatory to allow the ghouls to know the difference between people and other objects. I would allow them to know the difference between individuals based on how they moved (biometrics fantasy style!). The limitation is a little more than earlier suggested because I think it's appropriate - with this you can't sense ranged attacks or even what is being done with hands/heads, flying things, etc. Heck - it might even be worth more, but I think -1/2 sounds about right.

Just to be clear I'm not breaking from D20 per se. I gave the description from the module. I don't have anything else from D&D or other D20 sources which would give better clarification on tremeosense. ;)

For my conversion of the bulette, I used "Class of Things," so my understanding of that may be wrong. And I forgot to add Range 'cause I spaced and thought simulated sense group (Touch) gave that to you automatically. Other than those two things, our builds are vary similar.

Edit: and I apparently can't read....I do have Range on my build, so our only difference is what class of things it's detectng.

Hello,

I'm currently converting a D20 module for a Fantasy Nina hero game (5th ed. r). Well the ghouls have a power called Tremorsense. Basically it allows the monsters to sense anything moving with in 60 ft of them. So since this is the first time I bought an enhanced sense that wasn't prebuilt, I want to double check my work.

Tremorsense: Detect (vibrations on earth) Simulated sense group (touch) Detect limited things (5 pts) Targeting Sense (10 pts) Range (5 pts) 360 deg. (5 pts) Act cost 25 pts.

So does this look right ?

Thanks in advance. :)

• 2 weeks later...