How do you build 'Swarm' (marvel villain)

mwiggins

Re: How do you build 'Swarm' (marvel villain)

I have a character named Pestilence in my game, and he can summon a swarm creature. I drew that up as:

Desolidification (affected by AOE attacks), always on, inherent, cannot move through solid objects.

5 STR, Affects Real World.

Stretching, no velocity damage

Extra Limbs

Flight, no Noncombat move

Note that the swarm is an Animal mind. It really should have some Mental Damage Reduction, but I haven't done that yet.

It has a Multipower with the following powers.

Stinging: 2d6 EB NND (defense is Force Fields or fully-sealed armor), Continuous, Uncontrolled, Sticky, Affects Real World, No Range. If the stings are fatal, you could add Does BODY to that.

Bug Eyes: Clairsentience, not into completely sealed areas

Engulfing Swarm I: 2d6 Entangle, Affects Real World

Engulfing Swarm II: 2" radius Darkness, Affects Real World

Suicide Stings: 1d6 HKA, Penetrating, Affects Real World, with Side Effects (it takes 1d6 KA too)

A note that the human skeleton part of Swarm might require some changes to the character defense-wise.

Instead of total Desolidification, you might consider putting an Activation roll (say 14-) on it to represent the chance of hitting the skeleton. I'd also give more of a Limitation to the Cannot Move Through Solid Objects, since it can't really pass through, say, jail bars or cracks in the wall, though it could "stretch" a limb of bees through small spaces.

I've got to agree with Clonus. A high Pd damage reduction with a damage shield that effects PD and I'd go with a lower ED and probably skip the damage reduction all the way around on that one.

Also looking at the old Marvel RPG of his stats and it says he's got Incredible Armor vs PD and ED, which in my conversion is about 13 rPR/rED. It also goes on to say that "Swarm is naturally subject to those attacks that affect bees. Intense cold, for example harms them and smoke causes the bees to become sluggish and less aggressive."

So another idea would be to go with the PD and ED armor of your choice and then give him a physical limitation: vulnerable to what affects bees.

how about a little telikinisis to represent that portions of bees could break off and pick things up? it wouldn't be much (less than base STR), as I don't think bees could get much lift.

Sorta like a swallow trying to carry a coconut. :D

and maybe indirect to represent that the bees can go around and flank the target.

If I recall, he usually had masses of bees (far, far, more than made up his body) that would wander far outside of his immediate presence, and could be defeated separately from him, but that he could look through at all times.

He could also create giant horse sized Robot bees that were capable of wrestling Marvel's version of Hercules.

His combat style was to shoot blasts of bees at a hero who would then continue to pester his target after the initial blast. His mutant bees could sting people that were immune to artillery shells, but didn't like fire, cold, or insecticide. (Which was a problem when Ghost Rider showed up) Individual blasts never seemed that bad, but the cumulative effect downed many of his opponents. Heroes that fought him for a long time seemed to get overcome with poison gradually

Personally, I'd buy him with:

- fairly low Str & Dex (under 6th ed) and lots of Con & End as his distributed existence made him very tough.

- A Penetrating damage shield

- Flight, as his entire body is made of winged insects

- Low PD & ED, but lots of Damage Reduction bought "Not vs fire or AofE attacks"

- Hardened defenses, as his diffuse body makes AP and Pen attacks pointless

- Continuous, Penetrating Blasts defined as his bee swarm blasts, linked to a small cumulative transform (to poisoned, helpless character), although this may be a special effect of stunned opponents

- a summon that calls up swarms of mutant bees packing an area of effect version of his bee blasts.

- Clairvoyance that allows him to perceive any area his summoned swarms occupy.

- Mental defense (I seem to recall telepaths having lots of trouble with his hive mind)

- A vulnerability to cold, smoke, and insecticide (Spider Man once beat him by mixing DDT into his web fluid)

- In at least one case, he had giant robot Bees. Bought as followers, or perhaps just scenario-specific GM specials.

This might be a good character to try out Damage Negation on. Afterall, swapping a few of Swarm's bees(low DC attacks) probably won't even phase him. Otherwise, I agree a lot with the post preceding this. Thinking PD/ED in the 10-15 range...with some of it resistant(as he's basically just a sentient skeleton under all those bees).

This might be a good character to try out Damage Negation on. Afterall' date=' swapping a few of Swarm's bees(low DC attacks) probably won't even phase him. Otherwise, I agree a lot with the post preceding this. Thinking PD/ED in the 10-15 range...with some of it resistant(as he's basically just a sentient skeleton under all those bees).[/quote']

Damage negation? I haven'y got 6th yet.

It is a low power game for a con, so I might have to let the real dangerous stuff Buzz off. ;)