Lock-On System

Re: Lock-On System

re: Iron Man

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371746/goofs

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371746/trivia

1 Hex Accurate is a great way to build "Target Lock" imo.

Okay, I can see that. But IMO "getting a lock" should take some small amount of time more than just aiming & firing. "Insta-Lock" doesn't feel right to me. And why not build the attack with just the 1 hex accurate AoE and either add Autofire, or just use it with something like a Sweep Maneuver/"spread the beam", to hit multiple targets?

It means that if the target doesn't move from the hex it's in then the attack virtually ignores the target's DCV (it just uses the Hex's DCV instead).

Hmm. So if the target DFC when attacked with this weapon lock, but is still within the larger AoE, he gets missed?

Let's say we wanted to model a heat-seeking missile.

Using this method a pilot lines up a 'good tone' on his HUD and fires a missile. There are basically 3 possible outcomes:

1. a hit

2. the missile doesn't track and misses badly (the pilot rolled an "18").

3. the target jinks and the missile barely misses (jink=DFC).

How would an AoE be used to attack a moving Vehicle (which uses different movement rules IIRC)? I've never had this come up, as all of my groups never had vehicle combat happen. :(

re: Charges

I would probably just add a Custom Limitation on top of the Charges Lim itself to denote that the # of "Selective" targets fired on also uses up Charges as well. Another reason to make the attacks all that more accurate since it's such a limited resource (physical projectiles vs. general suite energy for glove repulsors)

Or you could just use (I think) the Sweep Maneuver, or add Autofire, and either should take care of using the correct number of charges for each attack.

re: CSL's

Sorry about the lack of clarity there. I know lots of folks find it distasteful to add CSL's to framework slots.

IIRC, to put more than one thing in a framework slot, they have to be Linked (Missle Deflection is an exception), and IIRC you can't Link CSLs to the attack they are bought for in the first place. Not to mention they'd have to be the 5 pt or larger variety, IIRC.

I would probably build the armor with some general CSL's (usable with ALL attacks) but the missile/dart use of HUD seemed to indicate a higher order of accuracy than the glove blasters. Using AOE 1 Hex Accurate is a perfect way to put both attacks into a single multipower.

Personally, if I were going for a "realistic" (yeah, I know it's rubber science) build, I'd add the AoE 1 Hex Accurate as a Naked Advantage with Extra Time, and perhaps RsR.

However, using the AoE 1 Hex Accurate Advantage would cut into the available Active Points in a game with AP caps (all of the games I've played in).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay' date=' I can see that. But IMO "getting a lock" should take some small amount of time more than just aiming & firing. "Insta-Lock" doesn't feel right to me. And why not build the attack with just the 1 hex accurate AoE and either add Autofire, or just use it with something like a Sweep Maneuver/"spread the beam", to hit multiple targets?[/quote']

A Naked Advantage with an Extra Time Limitation could certainly be added for more realistic detail. Autofire and hitting multiple targets requires additional "Autofire Skills" which would be even more complicated to incorporate into a focus/OIHID build. Normally, AOE attacks cannot be spread.

Hmm. So if the target DFC when attacked with this weapon lock, but is still within the larger AoE, he gets missed?

I would probably require the DFC attempt to get out of the larger "Selective" Area. I might give a DCV bonus for getting away from the "Accurate" Hex though. Might be a good question for Mr. Long.

How would an AoE be used to attack a moving Vehicle (which uses different movement rules IIRC)? I've never had this come up, as all of my groups never had vehicle combat happen. :(

I'm guessing it depends on how fast the vehicle is moving and how easy it is for an attacker to predict the hex(es) that the vehicle we be in at a given point in the future.

Or you could just use (I think) the Sweep Maneuver, or add Autofire, and either should take care of using the correct number of charges for each attack.

I believe Rapid Attack is the ranged version of Sweep. Again, I don't think this simplifies things as it is skill based and the scene from Iron Man makes it fairly clear that this is an ability of the armor itself more than Tony Stark (or whoever is wearing it).

IIRC, to put more than one thing in a framework slot, they have to be Linked (Missle Deflection is an exception), and IIRC you can't Link CSLs to the attack they are bought for in the first place. Not to mention they'd have to be the 5 pt or larger variety, IIRC.

I'm not sure about the Linked Requirement.

Personally, if I were going for a "realistic" (yeah, I know it's rubber science) build, I'd add the AoE 1 Hex Accurate as a Naked Advantage with Extra Time, and perhaps RsR.

commented on this earlier.

However, using the AoE 1 Hex Accurate Advantage would cut into the available Active Points in a game with AP caps (all of the games I've played in).

And this is one of many reasons why I hate hard caps.

Why should an Advantage that only increases the chances of an attack hitting count towards a "active point cap" and CSL's (whether or not they are Limited) NOT count towards the same "cap"?

Autofire and hitting multiple targets requires additional "Autofire Skills" which would be even more complicated to incorporate into a focus/OIHID build. Normally' date=' AOE attacks cannot be spread.[/quote']

An autofire attack by itself doesn't require any extra skills -- though now that I think about the movie scene you referred, Tony (or the armor) would have had to have (IIRC) Skipover Sprayfire. But that's not complicated:

## Advanced T-Comp: Skipover Sprayfire - OIF(-1/2)

I wonder if Selective/Non-Selective, since they are attacking the regular DCV, should be an exception to the no spreading rule. Personally, I wouldn't allow an attack with some form of Accurate to be spread -- you're already getting a likely vastly lowered Target DCV.

I would probably require the DFC attempt to get out of the larger "Selective" Area. I might give a DCV bonus for getting away from the "Accurate" Hex though. Might be a good question for Mr. Long.

I'd have to brush up on the DFC rules before I could ask an intelligent question.

I'm not sure about the Linked Requirement.

MULTIPLE POWERS IN THE SAME SLOT

Characters may not buy more than one Power in a single Power Framework slot unless those Powers are Linked (see above) or the character has the GM’s permission.

And this is one of many reasons why I hate hard caps.

Why should an Advantage that only increases the chances of an attack hitting count towards a "active point cap" and CSL's (whether or not they are Limited) NOT count towards the same "cap"?

Well, CSLs get halved under some conditions, but the 1 Hex Accurate would still be just as effective all the time. The CSLs function in an "adjustment" fashion, but the Hex Accurate is a form of an absolute (10 DEX vs 50 DEX, it's all DCV 3 to that attack).

Can you 'cover' several targets with an autofire attack? Suppose there is nothing technically to prevent it' date=' but it seems a bit odd as you can only point the weapon at one target at a time...[/quote']

The number of barrels is not always singular, since it is a matter of SFX. Movie Iron Man's shoulder-mounted whatchamacallits definitely had multiple barrels.

• 3 years later...

Simple solution

Add [some big number] CSLs Requires a roll (attack roll)

& the same limitation on the attack itself, defining it as the same roll as for the Combat Skill Levels.

So for instance:

Sureshot101 missile

RKA 4d6, Requires a roll (attack roll) (-1/2) Active: 140 RC: 93

+10 with Sureshot101 (3 pt CSL) Requires a roll (attack roll) (-1/2) Active: 30 RC: 20

So if you want to fire the Sureshot you first make the activation roll which is the same as a normal attack roll. If you miss nothing happens, if you hit with it you fire rolling at +10 to hit, which is an almost certain to hit. While it's not true that it will fire and miss it's very unlikely.

Simple solution

Add [some big number] CSLs Requires a roll (attack roll)

& the same limitation on the attack itself, defining it as the same roll as for the Combat Skill Levels.

So for instance:

Sureshot101 missile

RKA 4d6, Requires a roll (attack roll) (-1/2) Active: 140 RC: 93

+10 with Sureshot101 (3 pt CSL) Requires a roll (attack roll) (-1/2) Active: 30 RC: 20

So if you want to fire the Sureshot you first make the activation roll which is the same as a normal attack roll. If you miss nothing happens, if you hit with it you fire rolling at +10 to hit, which is an almost certain to hit. While it's not true that it will fire and miss it's very unlikely.

One issue not readily apparent to using a straight CSL approach is that a successful Dive For Cover of minimal distance (1hex or 1m) will avoid the attack regardless of attack roll results. The 1 Hex Accurate approach can define a greater radius that has to be 'dived' beyond to escape.

It could be built as a ranged Drain versus a vehicle's DEX, as in 5E there isn't a separate DCV stat.

As the lock-on is being acquired, it is Draining more DEX. Limitations would be only to affect DCV, and only versus attacks from the particular locking on weapon system. Advantages could include no range modifier, increased maximum range, or megascale for very long distance battles. Electronic countermeasures would be Power Defense only versus this ranged Drain, with a possible limitation that is is a skill versus skill contest of Systems Operation.

"Fool Proof Targeteering":

Luck 6d6 (30 active pts); Limited Power ("if the character makes an attack roll w/ a ranged weapon w/ charges, but fails to hit the intended target, for every 6 rolled w/ Luck, one stray shot hits nothing, repairs itself, teleports back into the weapon & pretends that nothing happened"; -2).

Total cost: 10 character pts.

~ Mister E