6E p172 Object BODY table

Crypt

Re: 6E p172 Object BODY table

I don't feel confortable with this table.

For a given mass a living object has more BODY than an unliving object.

Why ?

I believe that a living "object" is more fragile because of its organs, and thus is more complex than an unliving one.

What is your opinion ?

Most non-living objects have no way to self-repair or change their behavior based on damage taken. They also have no, "will to live".

yes but...

- will to live

- organs

On the table the will to live not only compensates the organs, it also makes the living being tougher than an unliving one.

i tend to think that this two factors would result in an equality with unliving objects.

Why ?

I believe that a living "object" is more fragile because of its organs, and thus is more complex than an unliving one.

What is your opinion ?

Does 6e still retain the rule that a character isn't dead until they reach the negative value of their BODY? If so, there is your answer.

Does 6e still retain the rule that a character isn't dead until they reach the negative value of their BODY? If so' date=' there is your answer.[/quote']

That's exactly the opposite because living beings are even more tougher with this rule.

In most fiction genres, things are pretty breakable (statues topple and shatter, walls crumble, doors are kicked down, locks are shot out).

People, on the other hand, survive bullet wounds, falling out of airplanes, being dragged behind cars, being hit by cars... people survive, when they don't it is a big deal (or they were not important).

This is not true of every genre (in Horror, people can never kick down a door, but monsters can walk through them...), but in most situations emulated by RPG rules this would be the case.

Well, in your opinion is it wise, for a gritty genre, to increase the Body of unliving object (over living values) or would you decrease those of living being instead ?

Living 10 => 10

Unliving 7 => 13

Complex 5 => 8

or

Living 10 => 7 (looks like a nice Body value for an average everyman npc)

Unliving 7 => 10

Complex 5 => 5 (?)

Why ?

What is your opinion ?

'Dramatic reality'?

I think that dramatic license is a large part of living things having more BDY. But the other thing to consider is if you do enough BDY to break down a door, you have just split it in two or maybe only knocked it out of its frame, you haven't reduced it to dust. When the BDY of a nonliving object is considered, you need to look at function as well. It may only take 3 BDY to functionally break a pair of handcuffs, but you still have the bracelets even if the chain has snapped. To functionally break a living thing, you have to kill it, which is more than just breaking an arm. Or to put it another way, living things can continue to function when damaged while inanimate things may not.

I think someone is forgetting that the amount of damage a thing can take doesn't depend on it's Body alone, but also it's defenses. Do this (or if you prefer simulate this with Hero System): Go to the outside door [preferably an "Exterior Wood Door"] of your house and hit it with your fist. Now repeat the same, but target your nose instead. Which one took more damage? If you aren't sure, repeat it as many times as necessary. Once you are done, don't forget to think happy thoughts! :eg: