The next District 9 about Alien Invasion?

Jagged

Re: The next District 9 about Alien Invasion?

Noooo! Not Uruguay! Not Montevideo! If their fixed-wing subsonic ground attack aircraft and 30+ year old military hardware can't stop them, what chance does the United States possibly have?! Clearly it was prudent to invest so much in our own giant robot program, even though it's 4 years behind schedule and 300 billion over budget.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Uruguay

I should be fairer to Uruguay--they do have almost 18 fixed wing ground attack aircraft and almost 55 light and main battle tanks (of 1950s vintage), plus 15,000 troops and a 300 million dollar annual budget. Lasting 2 minutes against an alien invasion is actually fairly impressive, under those conditions. :D

I just watched the video on youtube -- lots of giant robotty mayhem. One A-37 pilot is quite a hotshot. However: Some guy is driving down the road in a car, screetches to a halt upon sighting the approaching giant robots, abandons his car and runs away. WTF?!? I know perfectly well that I can drive a hell of a lot faster than I can run. Why doesn't that guy jump back into his car and drive THE OTHER WAY? :stupid:

The complete video on Youtube is better:

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie!

Interesting little video. While watching it one thing struck me as odd, "They're using ballistic missile?" However, once they blew themselves up, it made sense. I don't know if it will have the same feel as District 9 did, but I'll watch it non-the-less.

La Rose.

Funny. For me' date=' it was the contrary...[/quote']

My issue with Ballistic rounds is that for an advanced space going civilization to have not developed effective energy weapons for mobile mechs, seems off. More over, unless you have a supply depot capable of keeping your units stocked, you run into problems quickly. Once the Mech blew itself up, it made some sense to go with Ballistic rounds. They are probably cheaper, and in the event of capture, you risk less tech being handed over. Blowing oneself up makes some sense. It means the Mech's purpose isn't to be a mech but a mobile rocket / bomb. Get it near your target and let it position itself in the exact spot. However, it seems like a space going alien race should have percise rocket technology and the resource cost of having a mech seems like it would be wasteful. It does add to the drama more than a rocket would though.

La Rose.

My only question was... why show up and shoot the place up some, and then detonate four of them in a huge, potentially nuclear yield explosion?

If the other mechs are tough enough to survive the blast, then you're wasting time and resources. Your targets could escape in that time that you're essentially goofing off, and you could have those other mechs blowing up other cities. Even if you want people to see the mechs and be afraid, sort of a terror tactic for the rest of the world... four would do the job just fine.

If the other mechs AREN'T that tough, then the only reason to use that is if you're LOSING. So perhaps that's it? Or maybe they got bored...

I'm ok with the Rule of Cool. I had no problem with the video. Just, when we're discussing details that might not make sense, I'll mention what I noticed. Didn't really present a problem though.

Really, if you think about it, postulating about the mentalities of aliens is a bit ridiculous. Those who claim that advanced star faring civilizations will be THIS way or THAT way (for example, they will have long ago outgrown war, etc) are making untenable arguments because... they're ALIEN. We literally cannot conceive of how they THINK, at least until we meet them and spend a lot time getting to know them. Maybe not ever. Their psyche could be so different that all of our conceptions of logic simply fail to model their decision making processes.

Hey the Americans held off the Aliens in ID4 using nothing but f-18's, which is apparently the only real aircraft in our inventory. I'm sure Uruguay, could do some damage in their A-37's....Solid little plane that.

~Rex

Now, now...the F/A-18 wasn't the only U.S. fighter to put in an appearance in Independence Day; in fact,

if you look very carefully at the sequence where Area 51's defending fighters are headed for the alien

city-killer, you can see Harriers and Tomcats mixed in with the Hornets (and probably some Strike Eagles

and Freedom Fighters as well, since both types were shown taxiing to stops at 51's airfield after the

fun was over).

OK, technically the Harrier's an English-built bird, but the Marines have been using them for long enough

to consider them ours as well.

Major Tom 2009 :cool: