Math

torchwolf

Quoted from a review of BASH! Basic Action Super Heroes Ultimate Edition:

If you're new to BASH, it's an easy to learn system that plays very fast but still manages to have enough crunch to keep you interested. The basic mechanic is rolling 2d6 and multiplying the result by the appropriate stat (Brawn, Agility, or Mind) plus any applicable modifiers and beating a target number. Simple and easy.
Oh yeah, the Hero System requires too much math to play. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Math

Hero probably has the most effort intensive character creation system of any RPG because it requires that you actually think about what you are doing, but even then the maths is pretty basic, and covered in the tables provided. The actual system is not and never has been mathematically complex.

Anyone ever see the (original) 'Villains and Vigillantes' system method for calculating 'carrying capacity'? Sheesh.

I think this 'You need to be a Fud to play Hero' is a vicious rumour spead by the jealous.

Sean - I dont think our american cousins will know what a fud is (PhD in case you were wondering) and there will be people in the west of Scotland sniggering as you have just used our very own synonym for female genitalia... :-)

Thanks Doc, I was wondering what "Fear, uncertainty and doubt" had to do with the math.

Fun with Fractions:

The original Superworld game had Advantages on Powers rated in adding to a Power's cost (per Level) equal to the original cost plus original x4, x2, x1 or x1/3 [equal to +4, +2, +1 or +1/3 in Hero System terms]. Power Disadvantages used 1/2, 1/3 and 1/6 of original cost categories, and 1 point per 5% flat refunds on Power for Burnout or Failure Chance.

As in RuneQuest, Critical Rolls were equal to 1/20th of the number required for Success, Special Rolls were equal to 1/5th of the number required, and Fumbles were defined as any roll greater than 100 minus 1/20th of the chance to miss, noting: "see Crucial Rolls Table if you're confused".

It also had Actions defined as Melee Round Actions, Full Actions, Semi-Actions, Quartermoves (an Action), and Instantaneous Actions.

Still, I liked and used the game, but would probably not attempt it today. :)

Ah, Space Opera. I actually GMed it a few times. :)

Unfortunately this game, also from Fantasy Games Unlimited, never saw play... while it had some interesting mechanics (as a Gamma World-like combat flowchart), it had rather randomly in-depth mechanics...

Off-hand Dexterity equals

(Wit plus Will plus Deftness)/G, nearest plus 2D3

Other Trivia: Aftermath used the (physically non-existent at the time) d30 for a few rolls, surprisingly not for the 30 Hit Locations though. The d30 was simulated thus:

D30: Roll a D20 and a control die. If the control die is a 1- 2' date=' the D20 result is read as 1-10; if the control die is 3-4, the D20 result is read as 11-20; if the control die is 5-6, the D20 result is read as 21-30.[/quote']

Although it does not state so, it might be inferred that the control die is a d6. :)

Ever tried soing Mechas in Mekton Zeta Plus?

I spent at least a week doing a spreadsheet to enable our group to redo the caclulation for changing armor weight, size, power-to-weight ratios, etc... without having to start from scratch every single time

IIRC, there was some options that changed the multipliers you used in mid-calculation, others that added to the result, etc. Every changes needed a regression to verify every part of the cost calculation was impacted