Solar Systems Like Ours in the Minority

Nyrath

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Solar Systems Like Ours in the Minority

Sol-Type Systems I think would be a better term. That little Rat bugger type of star is all over the place. :D Still, if the math says 1 in 10, then you can simply multiply the distance by 10 and one should be good. Or is it a factor of 10? My experience is more practical then analytical, so if a math nerd wants to fess up the correct answer I'll nod my head in a Sage like manner and agree with the proper harrumphing and pipe smoking.

~Rex

*Nods head, puffs on the pipe.....harrumphs and repeats with a few of course of course's tossed in for good measure*

~Rex.....steps back and waits for battle of the math Brains to commence, and for someone to explain Why the Cube Root?

Say that in a given space there's one thousand stars. Now remove nine out of ten stars -- then each star left has ten times the volume it originally had. If we say that this space is in the shape of a cube, then the length of each side is the cube root of the volume. Since the star's original volume was ten times smaller, the length of one of the sides gets longer by a factor of the cube root of ten.

:think:

Was that readable?

... I think the average distance between stars locally is nine light years. Say one tenth of those are brighter than a M-class star (F, G, and K classes, mainly). And one tenth of those has Sol-class systems. Then nine light years times the cube root of one hundred is the average distance we're looking for -- something like forty light years. For a thousand systems, the length of the cube's side is then ten times that -- four hundred light years, or something like the thickness of the galactic disc locally.

All numbers off the top of my head, natch.

http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=10934

New astronomical data suggests that solar systems like ours are only found in 1 in ten stars.

I find this to be very undramatic, and am going to ignore this result for my campaigns.

Bear in mind that's "like ours" in that they have gas giants at the edge of the system. Like ours in that they have reasonably large rocky bodies in the warm zone is an open question. Also of course, I bet the bigger stars (and ours is one of the bigger stars) are more likely to have gas giants.

Well even if it's 1 in 10' date=' that's Still very much within Carl Sagan's trademark Billions and Billions correct?[/quote']

Yes.

Latest estimates I've seen say 200 to 400 billion stars in our galaxy, which means 20 to 40 billion solar systems