Solar Systems Like Ours in the Minority

Nyrath

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Solar Systems Like Ours in the Minority

Given a typical distribution of stars' date=' what would the average distance between "Sol-type" systems be, with this result?[/quote']

Latest estimate I've seen is that the density of stars in our stellar neighborhood is about 2.45x10^-3 stars per cubic light year. If 1 in 10 has a sol-type system, that would be 2.45x10^-4 systems per cubic light year.

Assuming that I have not made a silly mistake in arithmetic, that translates into an average distance between sol-type system to be about 19.8 light-years

I am listening to/watching the presentation screens recorded from this week's American Astronomical Society meeting in DC ... the most tittilating comment so far is from Dave Latham, "What you can do with 20 part per million photometry is ... quite remarkable." This is in reference to the ongoing Kepler mission to find Earthlike planets orbiting other stars.

EDIT: OTOH, it has to be that good. A transit of Earth across the disk of the Sun causes a fractional decrease in the apparent brightness of the Sun of only 0.0086 percent, that is, 86 parts per million. So if your threshold is at 20 parts per million, that's only a signal-to-noise ratio of 4.

But it is awesome compared to the photometric precisions I'm used to thinking about.

Considering I can't begin to do that math above without initiating a fire on my head from the excess heat of thinking in numbers, I'll take your word for it. I do know though that 19.8 Light-years isn't that much on an Inter stellar scale. Now, if you had to walk......different story.

~Rex

So how big of a volume around Sol should it take to find' date=' say, 1000 Sol-type systems?[/quote']

at a density of 2.45x10^-4 sol systems per cubic light year, you'd need about 4,100,000 cubic light years.

Volume of a sphere is 4/3 pi radius^3, so you'd need a sphere with a radius of about 99 light years or a diameter of 198 light years

... Anyone want to guess at the likelihood of planetary systems forming in the galactic core? That holds' date=' what, ninety percent of all stars?[/quote']

Ah, but even the Star Hero manual mentions the Galactic Habitable Zones.

http://atropos.as.arizona.edu/aiz/teaching/a204/etlife/SciAm01.pdf

http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0401024

Once you get to a region closer to the galactic core than about 23,000 light years, there is so much radiation and other hazards that most life would be destroyed.

at a density of 2.45x10^-4 sol systems per cubic light year, you'd need about 4,100,000 cubic light years.

Volume of a sphere is 4/3 pi radius^3, so you'd need a sphere with a radius of about 99 light years or a diameter of 198 light years

So if the typical ship in a setting runs at about 1 ly/day in FTL, you'd be looking at a direct trip of 200 days, which still seems to work well for what I'm going for.

Ah, but even the Star Hero manual mentions the Galactic Habitable Zones.

http://atropos.as.arizona.edu/aiz/teaching/a204/etlife/SciAm01.pdf

http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0401024

Once you get to a region closer to the galactic core than about 23,000 light years, there is so much radiation and other hazards that most life would be destroyed.

That's life as we know it, life that has evolved under a blanket of ozone inside a honking huge magnetic field. We've found some samples that can survive radiation several orders of magnitude stronger than the average lifeform sharing our ecosystem, who can say how they would evolve if the available niches for them were wider?

That means I get 3-5 systems all to myself after we divide them up!

Um, yeah, that's right. We all get our own solar systems! Really! It's not like you're being exiled or anything like that! The fact that yours are on the edge of the galaxy is because, um, they had the best view! You got first pick!

Um' date=' yeah, that's right. We[i'] all[/i] get our own solar systems! Really! It's not like you're being exiled or anything like that! The fact that yours are on the edge of the galaxy is because, um, they had the best view! You got first pick!

I did get first pick. I'm the oldest, remember? Now all you whippersnappers need to get out of my solar system! And take all this garbage with you!

Your own Solar system' date=' but the nearest good Pizza place is 19.8 Light-years that way. ------>[/quote']

That seems different from reality only in the "Your own" part, actually.

Yeah I work in construction though. My math, is strictly limited to Square Footage, Square Yardage, and Cubic Footage and Yardage. You get me out of that arena and I can barely do 2+2 anymore.

~Rex

Well heck, just figure out how many cubic feet a star system takes up and go from there. Easy peasy. :think:

Well heck' date=' just figure out how many cubic feet a star system takes up and go from there. Easy peasy. :think:[/quote']

Hey, remember that 3.26 light-years is 1 parsec. And a cubic attoparsec is almost exactly 1 fluid ounce. So you can express the volume of the Galaxy in terms of cans (or cases) of beer.