Solar Systems Like Ours in the Minority

Nyrath

Re: Solar Systems Like Ours in the Minority

All this exoplanet detection IS exciting, but we STILL don't have enough information to hazard a guess at the odds of a system having earth-like planets. Maybe those system without gas giants have smaller rocky planets that we just can't see.

Seems to me like there's still room for GMs to fudge things if they want.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this exoplanet detection IS exciting, but we STILL don't have enough information to hazard a guess at the odds of a system having earth-like planets. Maybe those system without gas giants have smaller rocky planets that we just can't see.

And not even fudge. The original analysis is working with a very small sample size.

Maybe those system without gas giants have smaller rocky planets that we just can't see.

The problem is more those systems with gas giants that are either within the life zone, or inside the life zone; modeling strongly suggests that the presence of an inner system gas giant makes rocky planets in the life zone vanishingly unlikely.

The problem is more those systems with gas giants that are either within the life zone' date=' or inside the life zone; modeling strongly suggests that the presence of an inner system gas giant makes rocky planets in the life zone vanishingly unlikely.[/quote']

Previous modeling also suggested that gas giants would most likely appear at the frost line, the outer limit of the life zone. Reality seems to feel no obligation to correspond to our models.

The models will continue to evolve as we get more data. It is also worth noting that the most successful planet-finding technique currently in use detects "hot Jupiters" much more easily than gas giants outside the life zone.

True, not to mention as a Gas Giant satellite there are a lot of other factors that could help jump start the life process, even if said gas giant is a bit on the edge of the life zone, and hasn't eaten all of it's moons.

~Rex

That's true, but as has been discussed at the AAS meeting this week, we'll have hard numbers soon. The Kepler mission is doing science observations now (started last spring). That is not an all-sky survey, but a stare-at-one-chunk-of-sky-for-4.5-years mission looking for the very small eclipses Terrestrial planets make. It will take those years, though.

Well, when you're finding planets by eclipses ... which happen only once per orbit ... then you have to see something eclipse twice (at least one orbital period between them) before you can claim discovery of a planet. And you can't prove you're right until you observe a third eclipse that you predicted. When you're looking for planets with orbital periods of about a year, well, ...

I find myself thinking that it could be that, for all practical purposes, we are all alone in the Universe after all. In that any conceivable system that could support human-like life would have to be so far away that even with relativistic time dilation it is impossible to visit it or have people from there visit us.

That is somewhat less disturbing than the theory that we are alone in the universe because we have the only planet in the entire Cosmos with just the right conditions to allow for any form of life, not just sapient life.

http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=10934

New astronomical data suggests that solar systems like ours are only found in 1 in ten stars.

I find this to be very undramatic, and am going to ignore this result for my campaigns.

Yeah, but until recently we didn't know for sure that there were ANY other solar systems. We assumed so, but we didn't KNOW. Now we do.

Yeah' date=' but until recently we didn't know for sure that there were ANY other solar systems. We assumed so, but we didn't KNOW. Now we do.[/quote']

Yup. And given the possible outcomes, 1 in 10 sounds pretty good to me.

cheers, Mark

1 in 10 for the sheer volume out there. Provided that is a Volume and not some sort of Simulacrum Like Farmers "World of Tiers" series (heh). 1 in 10 is a LOT. I wouldn't really see to much need to adjust a game setting though. Still means there's a lot of Planets out there for Nathan Brazil to repopulate next time the Universe goes kablooey and the Well World needs to be reset.

~Rex